Don't buy Plitron Transfo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you mean by "hook" the secondary ????
The primary and the secondary are a wire, not a peace of metal like you can see in and "inductance" !!!!

somebody said: " I didn't scrape off the enamel well enough "
By "enamel" do you mean the insulator that you can see in inductance ???

Presently, I am at school, I can't look at my transfo but I'm sure that it is a normal peace of wire !

Re: that is the problem....

uvodee said:
Being a Belgian, and having lived here for about 4 years I have noticed that most Americans do not want to answer (orally) to questions when the person asking it is not speaking 100 pct perfect Englich (except for Hispanics, there are too many of them and they represent a $$$ market!!)

tzen allemoal onnoezeleers!
zegt dakik het gezegt heb!

That's strange. Maybe my english isn't to bad, but I never had that experience in the US. In fact I was surprised that most americans I spoke to also spoke bad english. Or english with a strong accent.

Anyway, most of the americans I met were very friendly and helpfull.

Moa der zitte veel onnoezeleers boa. Da's woar.

sometimes the wires coming off the transformer still have the
protective enamel coating at their ends. I used crimp on
connectors at the ends of these wires and then connected them
to the rectifying bridge. The electrical connection was bad
because the enamel was insulating the wire. So i had to go back
and remove the enamel coating to get a good electrical connection.

I don't think this is the problem you are having, i was just bringing
up how sometimes things can be overlooked. You very well may
have a defective transformer - sometimes you think you've checked
everything, and it's something silly like that.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Moe I see what you are trying to explain>>>>>>some transformers are wired straight from the windings with the insulated (lacquered magnetic wire)....others have tew insulated stranded or solid wire.....there is a major problem with a bad connection when not cleaning off the laquer

DIRT®

I finaly get a response from Plitron !!!! Here the message !
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Gabriel,
I am sorry to hear of your magnetic noise, "hum" problem that you are experiencing with your latest DIY preamplifier.
There are no specifications on standard products for either mechanical or magnetic noise.
We will provide you with an RMA to return the part to us and we will evaluate it.
If we determine that the part is not typical for the performance of the product line we will provide a warranty replacement.
Our sales department will provide you with the information to return the part by e-mail.
If you require any further information or assistance please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Gordon I. Campbell

Vice President
Quality

PLITRON MANUFACTURING INC.

T (416)667-9914 x229
F (416)667-8928

----------------------------------------------------
Today, I take some mesure or my two transfo...
The transfo is 30v + 30v 120 Va

good one:
69.6 Vac identical with load
0.261 Vdc
1.7 ohm at the secondary

bad one: 69.01 Vac 68.6Va with load
0.253 Vdc
1.7 Ohm at the secondary

The only difference, it is the load, the first one have no effect with the load and the second one loose 0.5 V.

Just for shure, Plitron will determine the performance of the transformer, but I'm effraid that they will try it and they will say that it work great. I know that it work, but for my application, it is very bad. I connot use it ! What do you think they will check at my transfo ???

You bought an standard power trafo not an audio grade trafo, did you? The thing probably is not wound as tight as normal or maybe a better operator built the one that is working better, who knows. If the transformer specs fine on a light bulb will probably be considered ok. It will be up to you to hone your language skills and talk them into replacing the thing. ;)

The problems I have with plitron are:
different pricing between US and CA, long turn-around times, ridiculously high audio grade and tube amp pricing.

My experience with Plitron

Recently, i've found Plitron's service to be quite slow online. The 1st time i've ordered from them over 2 years ago, their service was quite good but that was only stocked items online. At that time, they UPS me 2 large 2KVA transformers but ended up sending me the wrong ones. So they had to be returned and the proper ones were sent (no extra cost to me for shipping).

However, this past summer I sent an e-mail quotation for some special transformers. They were low flux high voltage toroidals to be used in valve amplifiers. My e-mail had every single detail possible (flux, temp rise, ES, Class Cert wiring, etc.). over 3 weeks later I finally got a reply but only to find out "NO PRICE"? This is strange when you ask specificically a quote on 6 transformers. From what I can recall, the e-mail reply asked along the lines of ... "How many units are you looking to buy per month"? I never bothered replying back.

Overall I got the sense that Plitron was only interested in "Big Buyers" rather than small DIYers around here (at least in custom wound situations). Perhaps off the shelf it's much more easier for them to take orders and send out.

I can also vouche for another friend of mine online that tried to get an e-mail quotation at Plitron. He being ALSO a fellow Canuck, this is funny. Almost as bad as Plinius in New Zealand selling their amps to locals at prices the same as being sold in the US.

BQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.