Does tone-arm wire really make a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The chemical composition of various mineral waters vary and so does the way they taste. Most people seem to accept that, some even take it for granted.
But when the chemical composition of a cable varies from one sample to another we have all the difficulty in the world to accept this can have an impact on how it will sound.

Which is kind of strange when you consider that we judge a cook by the way his food tastes....

Wow, Frank I expected better from someone of your obvious intelligence and insight. This is inappropriate analogy at its worst. As bad as lead cables sound obviously "dull".

"Only the insecure shun tests."

Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hi,

The chemical composition of various mineral waters vary and so does the way they taste. Most people seem to accept that, some even take it for granted.
But when the chemical composition of a cable varies from one sample to another we have all the difficulty in the world to accept this can have an impact on how it will sound.

Which is kind of strange when you consider that we judge a cook by the way his food tastes....

Wow, Frank I expected better from someone of your obvious intelligence and insight. This is inappropriate analogy at its worst. As bad as lead cables sound obviously "dull".

"Only the insecure shun tests."

So how does lead cable sound to you?

Cheers, ;)

Hmm wondering where the expression a fool and his money are easily parted originated from :rolleyes:

By the way isn't blind AB testing a test? Not all test are quantitative. I would not get too wound up in measurements after all we couldn't find the square root of -1 so now we have to image it!!

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

We're too busy testing perpetual motion machines.

C'mon Frank, you know better than that. Burden of proof is on the claimant, especially for, um, extraordinary claims.

Yes Sy, in an academic world that's how it's done.
You don't expect all of us to have the full blown facilities of a big university to our disposal, do you.

What I mean is that this kind of testing is best done by, or at least supervised, qualified people and not just something cobbled up at home by an amateur or two.

Ciao, ;)

Yes Sy, in an academic world that's how it's done.

That's funny, since in 25 years of doing controlled sensory testing, I've never been in an academic lab. And decently controlled testing is certainly within the capabilities of motivated amateurs. And I say that as someone who believes that disassembling my tonearm and rebuilding it with new wire is beyond his capability.

I am now using, and may never change, unshielded, high purity silver wire, no jacket required. There is absolutely no RFI in my system.

Hi Cousin Billy
I am using similar as yours, 4N solid silver coated with polyurethane, twisted tie, wraped with teflon tape, unshielded direct soldered to step up transformer, the way I did in compared is not AB test more times to find out the difference I want after listen to the new one and will not go back to the old one anymore
regard tony ma

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That's funny, since in 25 years of doing controlled sensory testing, I've never been in an academic lab. And decently controlled testing is certainly within the capabilities of motivated amateurs. And I say that as someone who believes that disassembling my tonearm and rebuilding it with new wire is beyond his capability.

It wasn't a controlled listening test I had in mind but rather a full blown analysis by means of measuring equipment showing beyond doubt that two seemingly identical (L,C and R remember?) cables could yield different results.
Not just audibly so but also measurably so.

A controlled listening test is a start but how are you going to make sure it will be scientifically valid if you have nothing to measure the cables with?

Cheers, ;)

Hi,

two seemingly identical (L,C and R remember?) cables could yield different results.
Not just audibly so but also measurably so.

;)

Both sides are too hung up on this R, L, C thing. Being a distributed system a measurement technique with sufficient resolution will always find a difference. This reminds me of the resistor measurements "they sound different, and this one has -140dB distortion and this one has -150dB distortion and that MUST be the difference". This approach will not resolve these issues.

Never tried lead cables but the #30 magnet wire sounded a little thin.:D

Those who don't believe cables and wire can make a difference, do you all run 16ga. zip cord to your speakers? Believe in Skin effect? Maybe "Monster" brand interconnects too? Do any of you use silver wire in the signal path inside your amplifiers you build? How about silver solder? Use that too?

Drum role please................................... And the biggie,
Do you believe in God or other intelligent life in the universe? Neither can be proved. It's subjective to ones own personal previous experience.
Can you measure LOVE? None of us would doubt Love exists.
Things can be subjective, without the need to be measured to be real. If you need measurements, fine, don't discount others perceptions which may, or may not, be real to you and differ from yours.

My point is. MOVE ON !!!! Both sides, it's a loosing battle. :hypno2:

I agree, we don't need another GROUND HOG DAY thread.

Ron

And I'm not sure I believe in intelligent life on Earth.

as this thread proves.

ROTFLMAO.............:D

Sy, man of a few words, who's opinion and experiences I respect greatly, why silver wire sometimes? Audible difference? or the just closest available when you reach for the wire spool?

Didn't want to touch those last two? Don't blame ya. Too personal. Not audio related..........That is why we're here, isn't it? To share information and experiences. Experiences are NOT measurable, nor do they need to be.

OK, is it even possible to continue this thread without the "Groundhog Day" effect?

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.