Does the Peerless XLS 12 NEED a passive radiator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AudioFreak said:
Why not just make the port external to the box .... seems to work just fine.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Passives are a waste of $ in my opinion. If your going to do it, go big enough to have a decent size vent. Passives do not get you anything that you can get with a well designed ported box, except for the small box with low tune of coarse....

It is possible to design a vented box for the XLS, although it is a lot more difficult than a lot of other drivers, as the vent will tend to be long. Rabbitz on this forum has put a 10" XLS in a small vented box with a B&W port 65mm diam IIRC and it works fine. You at least need a large flare radius. An external vent is possible, but IMO negates the advantage of having a small box. One compromise would be a pair of small vented 10" XLS subs. You could make them slim profile to get reasonable volume and use a smallish vent (65-75mm) with large flare radius (ie >36mm), and perhaps even experiment with golf style dimples. You could power them with an economical cheapish PA amp (say 250-350w with no fan), and make up a subwoofer processor with rumble filter included.

Another way to go is just use a 12" with higher excursion and a linkwitz transform. Then you can easily get small. For this you want a driver with some more excursion. The AE speakers AV12 is a good candidate with twice the displacement of the XLS, hence in a sealed box it will have about the same output as an XLS with a vent or a passive radiator. And it will be cheaper.

Yep, it does sound silly! (sorry)
There is nothing cheap looking about the AV12. It has a nice brushed aluminium cone, I consider it a lot more classy than other drivers with the typical paper based materials. The basket also looks pretty serious, being cast aluminium. All very robust and solid, with a look of quality. If some cheap crummy company manages to mimic the look (probably with paint rather than actual aluminium), then more power to em!

Still, this is all very subjective. If you don't like the way they look, don't buy them, there are cheaper materials if you don't like aluminium.

hey everyone, i'm gonna join in on the thread as i have a pair of 12' XLS drivers without boxes, and dunno what to do with'em to tell you the truth..

I'v been playing with winisd a lot and reading up on other people's projects and peerless's material on the drivers, but i just cant make up my mind, cant decide wich is the better choise..
using passive radiators wont be a option for me, since they cost more than what i paid for the drivers.

throw out as much good info and oppinions as possible!

thanks
Marius

Marius,

Do a google search for "critical Q subwoofer" and also for "Linkwitz Thor subwoofer" and you will find good information on doing a sealed sub.

For a vented version, put these numbers into WinISD pro:

90L vented box
tuned at 22 Hz
120mm diam vent x 675mm long with 50mm flare radius on each end
140w input signal

filters:
lowpass - 4th order Linkwitz Riley @ 80 Hz
highpass - 3rd order @ 20 Hz
static gain - 4db

Now look at the response, -3db points are at 21 and 85 Hz.
Now SPL - 109db @ 25 Hz
Now look at cone excursion - xmax will not be exceeded with any signal, and excursion does not increase below tuning ie. it is less below tuning than it is at 30 Hz.
Now look at the rear port air velocity - it does not exceed 23m/s which is acceptable for a vent which has a 50mm flare radius, according to experiments from another member of the forum.

A sealed box with eq will be much smaller, however, you will only get 97db @ 22 Hz or 99db @ 25 Hz. This means you need at least two of them to get some decent output and extension for HT.

The vented version has lower distortion but is bigger. Done right it should not be inferior to the sealed version in any way except size.

port

If the port is too long, you can make something like....

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 390
XLS 12"

For XLS 12" 830500 I calculate about 40 L, Fb=26 Hz, port diameter 90 mm, lenght 635 mm.
For example, internal dimensions: 310 mm width, 372 mm depth, 440 mm high.
Port : 310x22 mm2, 658 mm long (372 mm depth + 286 mm up, begining of the tunel is 154 mm from the top)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.