Does Efficiency Matter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I give up, I have no clew about 100% efficiency

100% efficiency = no loss of energy.

If you radiate 1 watt of acoustic energy into free space, you will have 108dB at 1 meter distance. If you putt 1 watt of electrical power in and get this level out, the device is 100% efficient. Obviously the more power you have to put in to achieve the same level, the less efficient the device.

Most speakers are in the low single digits in efficiency.

Andrew is right, the device might be 100% efficient but distorting.

Forseable technology is not going to get absolute fidelity by zero loss.

I'm not really suggesting it could, I just often find it helps to understand things when you look at conditions in the limit.

I think somebody is suggesting that you could have 100% efficiency and still have distortion, but I think that that is to distort the meaning of efficiency. A system taking in a watt of music and outputting a watt of sinewave sound energy would meet that definition mathematically, but it wouldn't be a loudspeaker in the common meaning of the word, rather some kind of teleological Procrustean Bed.

w

If you radiate 1 watt of acoustic energy into free space, you will have 108dB at 1 meter distance. If you put 1 watt of electrical power in and get this level out, the device is 100% efficient
This is quite an interesting concept.
108dB at 1 metre is 1 accoustic watt In FREE SPACE (4 x Pii steradians)
I suppose this explains how some Pro-Drivers can acheive 112db/W
(Funktion One F1 mid driver :cool:)
This can only be be acheived in to a limited directional dispersion pattern.
I suppose that care should be taken when comparing speaker efficiencies with accoustic watts.
If 1 accoustic watt is 108dB free space then is that
111 dB (2 Pi),
114dB (1 Pi),
117dB (0.5Pi Corner loading)?????????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.