Does beer affect your ears?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just looked at them, they're good!

Just to compare:
MKS2 1uF:
radiospares: 1.28€
reichelt: 0.37€

MKS4 1uF
radiospares: 1.02€
reichelt: 0.27€

MKS-02 1uF
radiospares: 0.99€
reichelt: 0.64€

My local store has 1.5uF MKS2 for 0.85€

Quite a difference!

Hmm, interesting thread, particularly to read now, as I'm a bit hungover :xeye:

I've been absolutely loving my system today, almost certainly because of the numbing effect of last night's drinking. Loud sounds fantastic, and never harsh, I think that is the key thing for me - you can turn it up to 'realistic' levels where you really feel the sound pressure, and you avoid the usual harshness and dizzying effects.

'Herbs' seem to have a different effect, allowing you to drift right into the music, where sounds can become incredibly sureal and physical, especially loud bass, and where incredible images and sensations can happen. Has to be pure though IME, smoking with tobacco just makes me tired. Drawback is the onset of cannabinoid psychosis, then its no longer fun :apathic: :confused: :bawling: :(

Other substances may effect sound differently again, but I think I'll leave it at that...hehe

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
For that matter what about other drugs?

I'm actually asking a serious question here.

Is there a correlation between the chosen drug(s) and the eustachian tube in your ear that has ever been documented?

I have always found the music sweeter when I've had a couple of brewskis.

I also live in BC where when you're at a party, you can't help but get a bit of a buzz from the bud, just from being in the room.

Is this simply a psych. thing? ie: You are in a good mood so the music sounds better?

This has cause problems in my aural speaker testing in the past.

I can only imagine where this one might go.

Cheers,
Cal

Beer, drugs, etc influency your brain. Anybody with an interest in audio should be aware by now that your ears play only a limited role in hearing & perceiving audio, but that the majority of the "hearing" takes place in the brain. And thus, beer etc influences what we hear and perceive. All old hat, really.

Jan Didden

Thank you 5th Element Matt,

Your reply was most informative. I sure am glad I read that this morning instead of last night. Hoowee I'm not so sure there would have been much neuro-transmitter action happening then.

I did some further investigation into this phenomena and discovered that in fact the mind altering substance (taken for research purposes only and under the guidance of a physician, hehe) did alter my aural perception.

It does sound sweeter!

Mind you, after the first couple 'o' whiskeys, they start tasting pretty good too.

I'm getting tired again, I'll think I'll go have a synapse. You know, to recharge the deoxyribonucleic acid.

What?

Cal

The worlds second most popular recreational drug after
alcohol is the drug of choice of many a serious audiophile.

Serious imbibers have been found listening to music at levels
incomprehensibly dull to drunken observers, and generally
have their observations of quality roundly derided as being
totally unrealistic.

Saves a lot of money though .............

:) sreten.

Cal,
I also live in BC where when you're at a party, you can't help but get a bit of a buzz from the bud, just from being in the room.

Do you party with Ross Rebagliati and his buds? ;)

Dave

According to a friend of mine, the survival of the fittest theory suggests that the use of alcohol (and certain other recreational drugs) will make you smarter. The slower, dumber, brain cells are killed off by these drugs, but the faster, smarter, brain cells survive, leaving you with less memory capacity but higher intelligence. I will have to ask him if the theory extends to specific audio related aspects of the brain.

My experience is certainly that alcohol affects the hearing, although
possibly in the way that it gets less sensitive and bad sound isn't
perceived as quite as bad as when your sober. :) It coudl, perhaps,
also be that a small amount of alcohol might even sharpen the
listening discrimination, but that is just a speculation based on
certain experiments suggesting that very small doses of alcohol
may improve you concentration skill.

On the converse, I have on at least one occasion found that
exposing oneself to loud music does not necessarily have a s
severe impact on wine testing (alas, I am not very good at that,
suffering from a rather impoverished memory for smell and taste).
I remember once having a dinner with some friends testing a few
similar winse like Chateu Margaux and Chateus Kirwan (if memory
serves me right). Needless to say, the Margaux was the clear
winner. After that we spent quite many hours at a loud student
pub also drinking a couple of beers. Afterwards we went back
to my place and found there was still some of the Margaux left.
To our surprise, the Margaux still tasted almost as good as
before "intoxication" our brains with very loud disco music. :)

5th element said:

Somehow I dont think that any drug goes around the brain going, hmm ure a crap neurone right your for the chop, and hey wow whatta ganglion you are, well youve gotta stay. :D

No, I also serioulsy doubt there is any such selective killing. On the
positive side, what we learnt at school that a dead brain cell is dead
and lost forever is no longer true. Brain cells can be regenerated,
although that is a very slow process compared to killing them off
with drugs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.