Does anyone know where to buy speakers drivers (and subs) in Australia?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Or you could just ask who in the forum has drivers spare who also needs the cash.
Most of us have collected way more drivers than we will ever be able to use.
It depends on how "High-End " you want to start with.
Jaycar still have a few drivers in stores, one or two are still worth looking at.

I looked into sourcing some Monacor drivers from Soundlabsgroup when I decided to build something from Tony Gee's site.

I found that it was significantly (~25%) cheaper to purchase in Germany and pay shipping to Australia than it was to buy from Soundlabs. It wasnt a small parcel either, weighing in at around 10kg.

I guess its true that us Australians get ripped off - we shouldnt neglect the option to buy OS and ship.

Thanks for the other links though - I will definitely investigate when planning my next project (a subwoofer).

Re: ´Most of us have collected way more drivers than we will ever be able to use.” LOL– yeah, but, you know one day, I could use them for a (insert latest fad of choice) system ….
I threw out about 50% of the drivers I had a few months ago, and still have way too many… I swear they’re replicating while I’m not looking…. Or is it just that my shed is shrinking????

I'm lucky in the summer I can visit Darcher audio directly, and he will order anything from Parts Express for you, idk about other stores like Madisound, but I think he gets cheaper shipping rates, so it works for me at least, however, if you can't visit him directly then you will also have to deal with Aus. Post's prices to get the stuff to your place... :/ Also don't ask me for any spare drivers - they are all cheap ($5 pair) 2nd hand store older model "big brand" drivers, of which build quality is probably as good or better than some modern day "big brand" but there are no measurements! :p

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Re: ´Most of us have collected way more drivers than we will ever be able to use.” LOL– yeah, but, you know one day, I could use them for a (insert latest fad of choice) system ….
I threw out about 50% of the drivers I had a few months ago, and still have way too many… I swear they’re replicating while I’m not looking…. Or is it just that my shed is shrinking????

Peter you need to leave the lights ON, the damn things breed in the dark.
People keep giving me their old "Broken" speakers for me to fix and when I give them a cost ( cheap ) they let me keep them and go to a box outlet and buy a new system LOL

What are you thinking of buying?

Frank

A 12" sub driver (for small sealed box) and tweeters/midwoofers for small shelf boxes.
I was surprised to see so many places in Aust selling speakers, but a lot of them seem to be noname brands (which in itself is OK) but without enough specs or test results.

For the sub driver Im thinking of a peerless xxls or a dayton one but so far can only find a seller of the peerless at $250 - was hoping for something cheaper (dayton one is $150US + $150 postage).
For the others I'm thinking some fountek ribbons and maybe peerless NE149W if I can find anyone who has used it that can comment on it.

spot,
There are a few but in Oz, we should be used to price gouging by now. The problem is largely due to the numbers in the supply chain.

I've used hasaudio in UnZud and am happy with the service and price. I've also bought SB Acoustics from WES (Wagner) and am happy with them too, despite the woeful website that was designed by a nine year old.

Have you any sizes in mind for the satellites? The SB 10" woofers I bought have a reasonably low Vas and could be used as a sub. For $200, I reckon good value (and they look sexy as hell too). :)

Frank

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Frank you know my wife puts up with a lot, these woofers need a much smaller box than my subs.
Works in a 70 litre box fully stuffed although 90 is better and that is a small footprint box if made tall, but I take your point; bigger than the OP asked for.
The 10 inch is also affordable and a pair would need so much less volume, will work in 35/45 litres each

Even though I use the Peerless 5 1/4 832873 and for the current woofer 8" 830869, for some reason (call it irrational), I'm not a fan of anything bigger in the range unless it is a big Xmax subwoofer. I still reckon the 10" SB Acoustics are a good driver (but, alas, I'm still to build the cabinets for them to put them to work to entertain the neighbours with Red Hot Chilli Peppers). :)

?

A 12" sub driver (for small sealed box) and tweeters/midwoofers for small shelf boxes.
I was surprised to see so many places in Aust selling speakers, but a lot of them seem to be noname brands (which in itself is OK) but without enough specs or test results.

For the sub driver Im thinking of a peerless xxls or a dayton one but so far can only find a seller of the peerless at $250 - was hoping for something cheaper (dayton one is $150US + $150 postage).
For the others I'm thinking some fountek ribbons and maybe peerless NE149W if I can find anyone who has used it that can comment on it.

Did you contact the reference I gave you? P-Audio <> "No-Name"

WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.