Does a digital crossover with RCA (unbalanced) input/outputs exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't get what you consider the difference/problem to be. Aesthetics? You believe the connectors are a problem of some kind?

Pro levels vs Consumer levels. Easy connectivity. I already posted that I already own the DCX. I have 2 setups using it I have a lower noise floor with my Onkyo 885 -> DCX then I do with all AVRs that have RCA pre-outs.

Level matching is sometimes a bitch if you have consumer parts and pro gear mixed all together so it would be great to know all the options available.

In the end the most important part is that the very, very simple fact I just want one!!

"Want one" is totally valid.

You do know the DCX auto-senses and changes between pro and consumer levels, so that is not an issue. Where I find it wanting is in sound quality. Others disagree.

Read all about the DCX auto-sensing but in usage I have seen nothing in terms of it.

The outputs on the standard DCX are too hot.

but this thread isnt about the DCX, there is a active thread for that.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I have no reason to think mine is not working. Now, I use my own made up cables. I also use their old analog crossover for my main system and have no issues with it. Actually, it was so much better than I expected, I have not gotten around to make a dedicated one. I prefer it to the DCX, but the flexibility of the DCX on my test bench in matching tweeters and midranges, playing with asymmetric crossovers is unsurpassed.

I really do wish someone would make an analog adjustable crossover with current top notch chips for consumer. If they can do it for "pro" for $120, then why not the extra $2 in parts and sell one for $250?

Our man Digi has the balanced line driver with DRV134 or the bridge module version with opamp chips.

These are DIY kits either boards or kits...

assemblycraft.com

Attachments

• bld-connections.gif
    bld-connections.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 191
  • bridge_connections_bridge2ch.gif
    bridge_connections_bridge2ch.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
You have to buy the software ($10) to get access to the download.

I use them in analog setups (well analog out from AVR or pre/pro always), one is my HT room with main 2-way waveguide speakers. I have to go analog from my Onkyo 885 since I need all the processing for movies (Dolby PLIIx (soon PLIIz), Audyssey, Dynamic volume,etc ) I can not wait for the day I can process digital audio over HDMI doing Dolby processing, XOs all in one device but that isnt today.

Im adding a bass bin to my 2-way waveguide to make it a full range speakers so I will need to add another MiniDSP soon. They are only 2-way 2 channel devices...that would be one of the few negatives vs my DCX 3-way.

I also added a minidsp and bass bin to my office speakers that are Mid range/ribbon tweeter boxes since they onlywent down to 200hz. Again, that is an analog setup with my Ipod touch as the primary source.

I doubt I will bother with doing any digital inputs. I just do not have a single source type setup anywhere. I always have analog and digital sources involved that need processing.

I have 3 more in total to buy, one will handle my LMS5400 subs (Yes they do stuff below 20Hz, like LT circuits. BiQuad filter functionality is amazing), one other one will be used in my bedroom setup (same speakers as office).

other than being ony a 2-way, 2 channel device the only other disadvantage in all my testing is the need for a PC to change XO/filters. The DCX was amazing for tweaking/listening/learning. I will be keeping the DCX in that capacity.

I have DCX, BBE DS26 and QSC DSP-30 options that I have compared against.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Doug for that answer.

A question for you. Are you able to set different orders/slopes and different crossover points on each section, the way the DCX does?
E.G. Low pass = 3rd order at 200Hz, high pass = 4th order at 350Hz - that sort of thing.

Thanks Doug for that answer.

A question for you. Are you able to set different orders/slopes and different crossover points on each section, the way the DCX does?
E.G. Low pass = 3rd order at 200Hz, high pass = 4th order at 350Hz - that sort of thing.

Yes, You can.

You can even go with pure transfer functions and use the advanced portion of the softare that just accepts bi-quad values. I think that is where the true power is. Im hoping there are more standard functions created overtime so that people like myself can just use those to create the bi-quad values without learning all about transfer functions.

I would definitely love to have a few DEQX in my setups that is for sure and sometimes i look back after spending $$$$ on all these different choices I could have just went with something like the DEQX from the start. There is a brand new DEQX that has dropped in price so who knows what the used prices will be.

Thanks for the link too. I have Followed Hpex for awhile, I ordered 2 AS2.100s two years ago only to have a cancellation of a project :(

That Hpex solution definitely looks exciting and when I was following it, it really didnt have a release date. Your last posts reads like it will have linear phase correction, is that true??

Still for anyone looking for a low viable digital XO solution the MiniDSP @ around $170 shipped w/ software dowloaded is very hard to beat in the current market for those looking for value performance. The measurements posted in the MiniDSP forum shows it to be a great device with no audibilty issues.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would definitely love to have a few DEQX in my setups that is for sure and sometimes i look back after spending $$$$ on all these different choices I could have just went with something like the DEQX from the start. There is a brand new DEQX that has dropped in price so who knows what the used prices will be.

Thanks for the link too. I have Followed Hpex for awhile, I ordered 2 AS2.100s two years ago only to have a cancellation of a project :(

That Hpex solution definitely looks exciting and when I was following it, it really didnt have a release date. Your last posts reads like it will have linear phase correction, is that true??

Still for anyone looking for a low viable digital XO solution the MiniDSP @ around $170 shipped w/ software dowloaded is very hard to beat in the current market for those looking for value performance. The measurements posted in the MiniDSP forum shows it to be a great device with no audibilty issues.

Just wondering: did anybody already mention Groundsound boards?

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]You do know the DCX auto-senses and changes between pro and consumer levels, so that is not an issue. Where I find it wanting is in sound quality. Others disagree.

It autosenses in the sense (;)) that it automatically adapts to AES/EBU or S/PDIF digital levels. There is no autosense or autoadapt whatever to the actual signal levels encoded in those digital streams.

jan didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.