Do you measure how loud you listen?

I've recently purchased a cheap sound pressure level meter. Printed a flat plate with a hole in the middle and shape to snap on the meter to measure sound pressure level.

1703982849268.png

When I measure on normal headphone, I measure similar like you. 70dB normally. This is when I listen to classical, jazz, vocal. When I listen to some others what really engages, like "Pick up the pieces" from Candy Dulfer and her band, or, Pictures of an exhibition from ELP, this m goes to 80 and even beyond for a period.

1703983117767.png

Reactions: 1 user
I've also printed an adapter for in ear things.
The surprise for me is, I thought with the Sennheiser MTW3 the level will be lover since it isolates the background noise and I need lower level to hear the details. I do not know if measuring this way is correct, but if it is, even I feel I listen on lower level ... NOT. It is actually above. Not a lot, only by a few dB, but to me it is really surprising because I feel and thought I listen with lower level.
1703983354266.png

If measuring this way is correct, be careful with in ear things. It produces actually higher sound pressure in your ear for the same feeling. At least this is the case for me.
JG

What I do realize is that it is easier to listen to headphones louder than you should. That is my experience. And the idea previously stated about turning it up to overcome outside noise, yah I get it. Sealed phones do better with that of course.
If I could find wireless, noise cancelling headphones that I liked, it could become habitual.