• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Do Sweep tubes Glow Blue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Big will,
Those Russian 6P3S look great.
May i ask what brand they are and what voltage you run them at?
I am looking for different valves to try out in a simple SE i am building.
I also want the blue glow!!!!
Are there any other valves i should be looking at, ideally a drop in on the Simple SE?
Cheers
Ian

My SSE runs at 460V, so lots of my tubes glow blue. The SED KT88s have a very uniform and soft blue glow all the way around the big part of the envelope. They are quite pretty in the SSE. My SED EL34s also have a cool glow around the suppressor grid wires.

Most of my Reflektor and JJ tubes only glow through the alignment holes in the plates and through the gaps between the plates and the micas. Many of my NOS Sylvania and Philips JAN tubes have blue glow. The mica wafers in set of JAN 6L6GCs glow very brightly...first time I've seen the mica itself glow.

you have tubes with blue glass ;)
i made my ecc82 glow blue when i pushed them a bit to much.
about twice the max power rating, killed the tube after a while to, after becoming white hot:hot:
friend got kt88 running @ 430 volt, they get blue to, but 1 a bit less then the rest.

Ty_Bower said:

Most impressive. I haven't been able to get that much out of my 6p3s-e, nor my Shuguang 6L6. As others have noted, plate voltage plays a big roll in getting a good blue, blue.

Bear in mind that was a 64 second exposure, they look nowhere near that blue in real life. If you took a long exposure of yours I'm sure they would look just as bright!

6P3S-E, 375V B+

wavebourntubepp.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.