Do people listen to monophonic sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if this is a dumb question or allready asked question, but there are alot of mono audio tube amps out there as well as transistorised ones too; do people still sit back and enjoy listening to their music though a mono only amp they made? I'm making a mono mag-amp, am I just weird for considering leaving it mono and enjoying it as it is, then later on build a completly new stereo version of the prototyped one??

I saw the "Einstein Amp" he was aparently a music fan, you'd think he would have listened to stereo, but it was a mono amp. Is mono DEAD or do people still use it?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
...yes, and some of them deliberately choose recording monophonically every now and then:

For blues afficionados e.g.:
Kim Wilson -- My Blues (1997) Blue Collar Music BCM 7107
Kim Wilson -- Lookin' For Trouble! (2003) MC-Records MC-0049

And there are still a lot of well-made monophonic reissues of older recordings around.

Enjoy

Siggi K.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is a small but active cult of monophonists. I'm not one, so can't get you in, but searching around the web should find you plenty of stuff.

Tons of old 78 rpm recordings all the way up thru the 60s (Beatles reissues in mono) and the above mentioned stuff. You don't have to have stereo to enjoy the music.

There is a small but active cult of monophonists. I'm not one, so can't get you in, but searching around the web should find you plenty of stuff.

Tons of old 78 rpm recordings all the way up thru the 60s (Beatles reissues in mono) and the above mentioned stuff. You don't have to have stereo to enjoy the music.

I was just thinking of the "Beatles in Mono" release. I like stereo sound.
Mono is livable.

I don't care if it's mono or stereo as long as I like the music. Heck, it doesn't even have to be high fidelity. Much of what I like was recorded before WW II and of course it's all mono. I have hundreds of 78 rpm records and a turntable dedicated to them.

I still listen to the old live jazz reel tapes I made on my lovely Ampex 400A which still works great, although I am considering downsizing and transferring them to CD. It's a big machine.

I don't care if it's mono or stereo as long as I like the music. Heck, it doesn't even have to be high fidelity. Much of what I like was recorded before WW II and of course it's all mono. I have hundreds of 78 rpm records and a turntable dedicated to them.

I still listen to the old live jazz reel tapes I made on my lovely Ampex 400A which still works great, although I am considering downsizing and transferring them to CD. It's a big machine.

That tape deck model is pretty cool!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
On everything before St. Pepper, the mono mixes are much better.

I used to really enjoy 78s, too. Had a lot of tango records. All long gone. Man, you used to be able to find 100s of cheap 78s in the flea markets. Not any more....

I have been for some time planning to build a mono system using a third Lowther Acousta cabinet I have and one of those old all-in-one record players that used to have a built in valve amp in them and a speaker (I'd obviously hook the amp to the lowther and bypass the on-board speaker).

Money (lowther drivers aren't cheap!), time and other projects have meant I haven't. All this would have been for sh!ts and giggles though - I doubt that I'd ever switch to mono-only.

Sakuma-san certainly seems to like it. Never listened to one of his systems so cannot really comment on his tastes (although he does like Lowthers, which is a plus).

oh, forgot to mention - if it's just mono records you want to play (and you have a player with a detachable head shell) you can always get a mono cart... I have even spotted one that has four connectors at the back, which I assume means that it can make use of both channels of your stereo set-up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.