Do my Exicon MOSFETs look genuine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some Exicon ECX10P20R/10N20R lateral mosfets back in 2013, and am just coming up to using them (after an unexpected delay). Back then, Profusion was unable to get any stock (I believe the manufacturers had a flood or something and production ceased for a while) so for better or worse I bought them from.... ebay.

I should say that I've no reason whatsoever to suspect that the UK seller (lyn3009 / Electronic Bits and Bobs) or the mosfets are not 100% genuine, the seller has a good record and no suggestion of dishonesty in their feedback, I just have a general distrust of components on ebay. But the manufacturers aren't big on photographs and profusion only have a tiny thumbnail, so I'm finding it hard to check, short of measurement. Is anyone able to tell by looking if these seem okay?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks
Kev

Attachments

• my_exicons_1.JPG
    my_exicons_1.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 720
  • my exicons_2.JPG
    my exicons_2.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Yours are a different model of mosfet (and perhaps manufactured more recently), so I guess its hard to be absolutely certain, but I fully agree they look very different <sigh>

Has anyone else bought my model (ECX10P20R/10N20R) a few years ago?

Cheers
Kev

I hope you're right Mooly, I won't give up yet, then. I'll also have to dig my gear out of storage and try to test the pins.

In the mean-time I've done a bit more searching, I can't find a lot but I've run across suggestions that (following some major flooding) the exicon factory may have been reborn anew, so that could explain newer printing methods, as could a larger scale manufacturing run.

I've found several examples that look like mine, but sadly no providence so that isn't helpful. I've also found some newer versions of the same model
attachment.php

that look like ASTX's in style. I'd like to think they're 'so' different that an attempted fake would be more similar, but maybe thats being wishful.

I also found some that were different again, so it all seems a bit muddy. E.g. these
499144d1439889355-do-my-exicon-mosfets-look-genuine-exicon-mart4ic.jpg

one pair were even completely blank and unmarked.

Thanks
Kev

Attachments

• exicon-modern.jpg
    exicon-modern.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 368
  • exicon mart4ic.JPG
    exicon mart4ic.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Here are some pics of the same mosfets I purchased directly from Exicon before and after the supposed flooding incident you spoke of. These appear to be from before as the ones I purchased after the three lines beside Exicon blend together to form a box on the after units. Looking at the before units it says Thailand in the little circle and Phillipines on the after units.

Attachments

• EX1.jpg
    EX1.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 157
  • EX2.jpg
    EX2.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 123
  • EX3.jpg
    EX3.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 103
Thanks all! Dillmeister, thats really excellent, thanks for the photos - its great to see what some official ones look like. Happily, mine look largely identical in style to some of your Philippines ones - I'd feared that style/quality of printing may be a problem, but it appears all is probably well. The change in style must be more recent, then - but either way it doesn't concern me now. Brilliant.

Sangram and richie, thanks also. Yeah the Polida was just a picture I found and seemed a bit of an odd one out, maybe thats an example of something to watch out for in future, then. There were some elsewhere on the net with no printed markings at all which looked dodgy for that reason too.

Yeah I will measure them before use to double-check. All my electronics stuff is packed away in storage (I'm trying to sell the house so its been 'de-cluttered') so its hard to do at the moment, but at least now I can be pretty confident I've not hit a show-stopper.

Thanks again to everyone,
Kev

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.