Do MC carts sound better than MM ones?

well, do MC carts sound better than MM ones?

• yep

Votes: 52 69.3%
  • nope

Votes: 23 30.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never had tracking problems on my LOMC's from ~$500 -~$3000.
Maybe it's an allignment/adjustment issue for those that can't track properly.
Who would pay $ 1k - $15k if they track bad?
Those brands would die very fast.

"dolph"

Many of the best reviewed and most expensive MC's are outmatched by a Shure V15 in the tracking department. It doesn't mean the Shure sounds better...

The Shure

Though it sure sounded more accurate (i.e., true to the master tape) than most of its contemporaneous MC competitors, at least according to sharp folks like Gordon Holt who actually did the comparison. Most MCs of its era had a common coloration, a slightly depressed upper midrange and a peaked high treble. I doubt I can hear the latter these days, but I sure remember this quality in many Koetsus, Supexes, Dynavectors, and Kisekeis that passed through my living room. That's one reason I kept coming back to the Technics EPC100...

By the time my last Troika came along, many of those demons had been exorcised, but still, the Troika never sang as sweetly as the Technics to my ears, despite being set up in an optimal arm (Ittok LVII). The Technics had a much more sophisticated cantilever, to which I attribute much of its great performance.

.... I sure remember this quality in many Koetsus, Supexes, Dynavectors, and Kisekeis that passed through my living room. ....By the time my last Troika came along... in an optimal arm (Ittok LVII). ...

You're starting to scare me. I was more expecting M95ED. Yes, I currently have a last run, near-new V15 V mounted and have done the run of Grado/Grace/Stanton/etc.. Seriously debating tossing the F9E to Soundsmith for a full ruby re-tip.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Most MCs of its era had a common coloration, a slightly depressed upper midrange and a peaked high treble.

The last octave peak is due to the tip mass on vinyl resonance. It varies in Q, centre, and amplitude between needle shapes, downforce, cantilever and its damping, ambient temp, actual vinyl mass / quality per record. As it is unmasked by the extended response due to low inductance, its there to measure. Few models overcome that. If mated with a trigger happy near there metallic tweeter's oil can resonance you are in for HF youth fountain.:D

Here is a measurement I made sometime ago between two ambient temps (dif 10c with hair dryer aid :rolleyes:). Its for Denon DL160 on Mission 774 at 1.6g VTF on Telarc Omnidisc wideband pink. 1/24 octave resolution.

Attachments

• DenonAmbientX.gif
    DenonAmbientX.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 153
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wow, I still have one in storage. Always looking for applicable (sealed, unpacked) replacement bearings. It just wasn't oddball enough so I swapped for a Grado tonearm. ;)

Most suitable ULM arm to mount again those high compliance MMs for an RL/pF loading tune on FFT and give em a fresh ear on new gear. I expect its used vintage market price to keep on rising.

Attachments

• DSCF1474.JPG
    DSCF1474.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF1469.JPG
    DSCF1469.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF1464.JPG
    DSCF1464.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 139
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You're starting to scare me. I was more expecting M95ED. Yes, I currently have a last run, near-new V15 V mounted and have done the run of Grado/Grace/Stanton/etc.. Seriously debating tossing the F9E to Soundsmith for a full ruby re-tip.

Nothing to think about, If you have a Grace F9, use it! (or get it fixed). It has some of that "Shure"-sound (just better), and, like the Shure, likes a little lighter than 47k load IMHO. (I have been happy with ~68-75k).

Arne K

Last edited:

JICO have released replacement styli for V15V(MR and xMR bodies) with boron cantilever and SAS tip.Have a look at their website.

The strain gauge wasn't elastomeric- I think it was silicon or a metallized bar. Source impedance was a few hundred ohms. It required a dedicated preamp because of the need to put the gauge in a bridge to measure delta R/R and because (as you have correctly surmised) it was not a velocity transducer, it was a displacement transducer.

Best-best cartridges ever weren't magnetic- think Panasonic strain gauge and Weathers FM.

That would account for the tens of dollars that they command at auction.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge in cartridge development and the most recent work has been the perfection of moving coils with ultra low internal impedance - i.e. less than 3 ohms. Hearing the Airtight PC-1 for the first time was a revelation for me. A friend of mine has told me that the Kubotek at >1 ohm exceeds even the PC-1 and the Supreme.

John

Price is immaterial, or at least that what everyone has been saying in the wire threads.:D

If you see a Panasonic in good condition (aye, there's the rub! Damping deteriorates with time), pick it up for me and I'll make it worth your while. It's been nearly 30 years since I kissed mine goodbye and I miss it badly.

They only made one strain gauge cartridge to the best of my knowledge. I got mine from a long-dead outfit in Colorado. If memory serves, it was called the EPC-460. Sao Win also sold one, but I never owned one, only heard it a couple of times in someone else's system.

edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-EPC-4...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a4161bdc

Ouch! There's your "tens of dollars."

Wow, I seems to be actual NOS not used I'm actually seriously interested. What's your take on the synthetic rubber micro-coupler and ozone in this case?

They only made one strain gauge cartridge to the best of my knowledge. I got mine from a long-dead outfit in Colorado. If memory serves, it was called the EPC-460. Sao Win also sold one, but I never owned one, only heard it a couple of times in someone else's system.

edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-EPC-4...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a4161bdc

Ouch! There's your "tens of dollars."

Well, I have a friend who has bought several for tens of dollars off of eBay. Obviously an NOS sample will cost more, even though that seller doesn't seem to have had any luck getting $600 for his. He did accept a best offer of $425 for one. Why don't you try that? It's dirt cheap for "best-best".

By the way, I did a little research on the Technics EPC-100C MkIII cartridge and its only design feature that differed from contemporary MMs is that it had an internal impedance that was lower by an order of magnitude.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.