Do MA drivers suits OB project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, without some form of EQ [room gain, horn loading, more drivers, etc.], OB is only effective down to the driver's upper mass corner [Fhm = 2*Fs/Qts'], so if loading to Fs is desired, Qts' = 2.0, a value that is considered 2x the limit for HIFI apps, making OB loading down to 2*Fs the max and usually ~3-6*Fs for 'FR'/wide range drivers.

Qts' = Qts + any series resistance

GM

Thanks a lot. As I found the PureAudioProject OB speakers looks very nice without the usual width seen on other OB speakers, I will consider a similiar project in the future. The reason why I consider MA drivers first is because I don't like the phase plug.

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 208
I expect they'll do just fine as the mid-high driver on an OB. I'd still recommend reasonably steep crossover slopes, though - the MA drivers tend to have very soft suspensions, and with no acoustic loading from a cabinet, there's a risk of damage or (at least) lots of distortion when the bass comes along.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.