Do I need a router?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is what I have.

Plunge Router-Craftsman 3HP(can't remember, but it is the Amps that really count). I keep my Jasper Jig on it all the time, unless something special is needed. I got a "half-off" deal on it brand new. You simply can't pass up something like that, turn up you nose, and shell out the bucks for a Porter Cable, or Bosch. For what I paid for the Craftsman, I could buy two of them for the cost of one of the above.

a47d_1.JPG

Fixed Base Router-1HP Craftsman. This is the one I use most, and I love it. It is over 30 years old, and the only plastic is the handle, and the depth dial. I keep it well lubed and I have never had any problems with the sawdust gumming up the works. I always keep a flush trim bit attached, unless I need a roundover or rabbett bit to use. If you can get one of these gems, jump on it. The one in the picture below can be found right here. You will have to shop around, and you can look right here for used routers.

b162_1.JPG

I can't even find a picture of my old B&D 1HP router. It must be from the late 60s, as it is all metal, like the Craftsman, but more solid still. Looks a little like Dangus' Dewalt above, but the top is like the rest of the unit, and only the handle is insulated plastic. No telling how many projects or jobs it has been involved with. It still works great, and I have it permanently affixed to my table saw extension and use it as a router table.

Just remember this: you never can have enough routers. The biggest pain with them is constantly having to change the bits, so you wind up collecting routers to use for dedicated purposes. Works for me.;)

I used to be a dedicated garage sale hound. If something, such as a router, was practically being given away, I would grab it up. That is where you can get a cheap(as in almost free) router, because people tend not to use them all that much, and if they aren't handy Andys their wives will try to unload them.

which one?

Thanks for all the info and opinions! What happened yesterday, did the site crash?

okay, so I think I could swing a router for holiday present, but I need to decide on which one.

Here's where the dilema comes in, I'd like to maintain the diversity of my powertools. By which I mean that I have a Black and Decker corded saw, a Skill jigsaw, a Craftsman "dremmel", a Makita circular saw, and a Dewalt cordless drill. So, this leaves Porter Cable, Bosch and Milwaukee as leading candidates t (or others if you wish to suggest one).

The little insane Tim Taylor on my left shoulder says "buy the 1-3/4 hp Porter Cable 693, you don't have a Porter Cable tool", while the little Al on my right shoulder says "the slow start and dust collection system of the Dewalt 2-1/4 hp unit will be safer and cleaner". Of course Tim is excited about the extra 1/2hp but he's so insane he still wants the PC.

So, how good is the dust collection and how much will I love the slow start?

Last question, do I need a plunge router to use with the Jasper 200 jig, or will a fixed base work?

-m

Doo! I just remembered I have a Dewalt palm sander ... I'll just ignore that. That's reasonable , right? All it does is jiggle.

Dust collector for a router? Never heard of that. I can't see where having all that junk connected to the tool would be worth the effort.

I just take my work outside, set it on a pair of sawhorses, with a makeshift table top, clamp it down and "go for it".

Then I use that indispensable air compressor(remember, the one you can't live without) to blow all the sawdust off my body, project, clothes, and deck, and take it back inside. No dust in the house that way. ;)

As for the make of the tools, I am the consumate opportunist. If it has a particular characteristic I just "have to have" ok. But if not, I go with the best tool for the money, and name brand be damned. That way I get the most bang for the bucks.

You don't absolutely have to have a router, but it makes things neater and easier. If you get one, be sure it uses collets, not one of the odd Sears arrangements with the "collet" simply machined into the motor shaft. I like Porter Cable, but they're expensive. I use an old Black & Decker non-plunge simple router I got at a discount store, on sale, for under $50. Buy the best carbide bits you can find, as they last much longer than high speed steel, which tends to burn. You'll probably end up spending more on bits than the router itself, unless you get a really good one. If I could only have a router or an air compressor, I'd take the air compressor every time. *Do not get a non-belt drive compressor!* They are extremely noisy. They are not audiophile grade tools. Find a new or used belt drive compressor.

John L said:

Holy Cow! Are you in an upstairs apartment? Obviously you are not married either. My ex would have taken a gun to me if I ever did that.

I don't do it that often, and I generally only use a handsaw, drill, and hand plane. Buy "yes" to all your questions.

I am in an upstairs apartment, actually I'm on the 2nd floor of a 4 floor building. I am married, but she doesn't mind. I find as long as I hold a negative pressure with the fans not much dust gets in the rest of the apartment.

I need to remember to take out the window screens next time as they cake over with wood dust.

-m

p.s.
this situation is another reason I'm reluctant to buy a router

Well, here is a solution if you have an open salley port. Take your project to the bottom floor and do your work from the sally port, under the stair well. If you have to make any messy cuts, then move the project out on to the yard and set up temporary saw horses, with a small sheet of plywood for a top, and do your cutting there.

Then take the cut material back to the project area in the salley port and continue working from there.

I have seen this done by a friend who made furniture, if you can believe that. He did nice work too, but lived in a condo where he could not work inside. He had a small table saw, and power tools, and kept them stored in the storage closet nearby. When he finished, he cleaned up and everyone was happy.

All you have to do is mention this to all your neighbors and explain your situation. Be real nice, and accomodating, and they will not object. Then you are home free. Of course if you have to contend with cold weather, you may have to wait for spring. ;)

I'm not sure what a "sally port" is but there is absolutely zero chance that I can work in any common space. Well, not zero but very low. My building has 40 condos in it, and not all the people are friendly. One time I did transport my work to my inlaws for the power sanding.

In reality, working in the condo isn't so bad, and I do it during weekday daytime hours when people are allowed to have construction work done. I also only do it rarely. Maybe I should coose the quietest router. Which do you think is quieter, PC or DeWalt?

-m

curiousburke said:
I'm not sure what a "sally port" is but there is absolutely zero chance that I can work in any common space. Well, not zero but very low. My building has 40 condos in it, and not all the people are friendly. One time I did transport my work to my inlaws for the power sanding.

In reality, working in the condo isn't so bad, and I do it during weekday daytime hours when people are allowed to have construction work done. I also only do it rarely. Maybe I should coose the quietest router. Which do you think is quieter, PC or DeWalt?

-m

A salley port is the bottom of the stairwell. Usually there is an open spot that is not used, along with the space under the stairs.

As for a quite router, that is not the issue. The main problem is the sound of the blade, moving at several thousand rpm, as it cuts into the wood. Not only is it very dusty, but it is very loud. However, if you organize yourself, you can make most of your cuts in just a few minutes, and it's over.

If you can't make it work, you can always use your in-law's hospitality.

Since your environs are so limiting...and you long for more experience with more tools...check out the local educational system for access to their voc-ed shop spaces...."adult education". It has worked quite well for me when my collection of tools was more humble.

There are enough choices across the router spectrum that one of them is right for you. Balancing the features vs. cost vs. timesaving and accuracy in your finished work is a matrix we all wrestle with.

this does sound like a good idea, but do you think I would have to actually take the class to use their tools? I have taken a class in machine shop, but I guess a wood working class would be fun.

I have to say, I was a little excited at getting a new router as a present, but the decision between Dewalt and PC was agonizing for me.

-m

curiousburke said:
this does sound like a good idea, but do you think I would have to actually take the class to use their tools? I have taken a class in machine shop, but I guess a wood working class would be fun.

I have to say, I was a little excited at getting a new router as a present, but the decision between Dewalt and PC was agonizing for me.

-m

Most likely you will have to take a class, so you can prove that you are not going to cut off your arm, or ruin the equipment, to the satisfaction of those in charge.

I have to go through the same thing in order to have access to a lathe where I can form the top radiators to my next loudspeaker project.

I can highly recommend CPO tools, especially since they have Bosch combination fixed-base/plunge router packs, with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I like both, because the 1/4" is useful with a Jasper Jig, and the 1/2" collet works with a 1 3/8" roundover bit. The reconditioned tools are really clean, too, so you're getting something which looks like new for a bit less money. Frankie-Bob says check'em out.

http://www.cpotools.com
http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned_tools/routers/router_combo_packs/

Edit: Go for the variable speed tool. For an extra twenty bucks, you won't regret it.

I guess I'm from the old school. When I used to work in commercial construction, we did not have delayed/soft start routers back in the mid 70s, so we learned to live without them. I used to keep hearing about these wonderful routers, so finally I said "enough", and bought the 3hp Craftsman above. it was nice, but not something I got excited about.

One thing I can say makes the delayed start advantageous, if using a router, like the B&D routers that have a switch on the upper top. It gives you more control. However, the old Craftsman above has the trigger on the handle, so you are in control of the tool with both hands to begin with. With a router of that type, the delayed start is not all that necessay, unless you are using a large bit, and working with raised panels that require a large cut.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.