Do I Just Have Tin Ears?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having looked through all the advice that you have received (including mine) I think far and away the best is that it is more telling to compare different speakers than just listen to one, especially if you are inexperienced. If you can borrow a reasonable pair of commercial speaker, just listen to something (I still think voices on radio should be part of the test, and pink noise is telling too) and then listen to the same thing with the other speakers. (This is especially the case when you tweak your design. Tweak one speaker, and compare to the untweaked.)

And "kiwilistener" wrote :
"The Strads are by far the best speaker I have built and are considerably better than most speakers I have listened to in the sub $2000000 range"

I dont know what to think anymore.:confused: Do you an extra zero or two there? Are there actually speakers that cost $2M or more?

Tony

You would be correct. In the Under $20000.00 NZD range (Sub $19000.00 USD ) was what I was referring too. It seems the morning coffee hadn't quite kicked in :)
I've listened to more expensive speakers than that, but in that arena the input and output electronics has much more to do with the overall sound.

So for what you are intending to do the suggestions by some of the other folk here should work well. Just bare in mind that what you hear and what others here or describe could be vastly different. For example I have medium/intense tinnitus in my left ear, caused by a drop in my hearing range in the 14-15000kHz range which gives me a permanent high pitched whine. This is very much like the high frequency whistle you get from old cathodray TV's. Because of this I have to ensure that I have become familiar with the track I'm testing , in the manner I previously described. Some of the audible test others are recommending only work in part for me, therefore I always play tracks I'm extremely familiar with from days prior to my hearing damage. I then get my wife to "listen Test" after that as she has extremely acute hearing.

I do of course run Truearta tests as well, but this is after initial listening tests and any alterations to the crossovers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.