Do Beats by Dr. Dre Really Suck?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found nothing better for portable use than the sennheiser hd25. They sound decent, can take a beating, are very easy to drive, isolate a lot and are comfortable enough for supra-aural headphones. Downsides are that they are kinda big and the design is a bit spartan.

Then you have IEM but I can't stand to push things in my ears.

The focal spirit one are very nice but not very robust apparently.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The Beats suck, apart from too much bass (design feature, read the story on how they were designed) they break down easily and quite early too. Excellent marketing though. Many people seem to buy the image/status as I see a lot of them in the streets.

I can not understand Apple bought this non value crap.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I can not understand Apple bought this non value crap.

They are planning to make the 3.5mm headphone jack disappear into obsolescence by removing it from their iPods/iPhones and then adding a "Lightning" jack onto the Beats cans.

Apple Jacks The Headphone Port : NPR

Yet another wonderful Apple innovation. :no:

Lucky for me, I plan to never own any of these products.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Despite being an Apple user I can not understand Apple using Lightning connectors for headphones. Do we need clever headphones that apparently need more contacts, do we need another plug for headphones ? No we need standardization. The 3.5 mm jack and plug are just OK and you can use whatever headphones you like/want of whatever brand and type. I hope Apple shoots itself in the foot on this one. Next thing will be custom mains plugs and you will need to have a special Apple mains wall socket placed by Apple. Iwallsocket ?!?!

It is like the charger thing on mobile phones. Please let the micro USB connector become standard. 10 chargers around but non with the right plug when your phones battery is exhausted ;)

Last edited:
they are definitely criminally overpriced. A pair of ath m 50 run in circle around beats crap.

Ive compared them to my ath m 50 and its not in the same league.

I think its cool for people having more exposure to better headphones. eventually, one who got beats might become interested to know other companies that offer better phones, and might end up getting better quality headphones, then dac, then amps, ect...

or, he might be discusted that his beats which cost him a lot of money got destroyed so fast and loose all faith to any hgih price audio product.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is like the charger thing on mobile phones. Please let the micro USB connector become standard. 10 chargers around but non with the right plug when your phones battery is exhausted ;)

I personally know 4 people who abandoned Apple products due to this issue.

At my house, we have various phone/tablet/etc. products from Blackberry, Samsung, Motorola, Lenovo, Nokia etc. All of them are always charged. :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You are a man of many chargers then.

No. That's my point. We have one charger in each room and they all work with any device we plug in. They are all micro-USB. Wanna plug the Lenovo tablet into the BB charger? Go right ahead.

I even leave one in each vehicle, with an inverter. Kids need to charge a Samsung tablet on the road trip? No worries.

I do believe it is a primary benefit of not drinking the Apple Kool-Aid. :)

They are planning to make the 3.5mm headphone jack disappear into obsolescence by removing it from their iPods/iPhones and then adding a "Lightning" jack onto the Beats cans.

Apple Jacks The Headphone Port : NPR

Yet another wonderful Apple innovation. :no:
Obsolete before it hits the market... the 3,5mm jack is reliable and rugged for it's size. Nobody needs the Lightning jack.

Unfortunately Apple will succeed in ruining the standardization in the market. Probably an other version "Lightning" on every iPad too?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.