Do any of you music lovers brew your own?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
after doing lots of wishing,

Anyone go farther than beer?
I'd like to pass into the beyond, and hear what is needed to make Cognac. I know its made from wine grapes. I can grow some fine grapes here in the back yard.
I'll probably need to install a proper listening room yet though. My setup on the TV is just right so far for movies.
I'm missing a good source for cognac. Actually I'd like to try a cognac as fresh off the vine as possible. I bet its near as good a high as fresh potatoes or other foods from fresh garden veggies.
Can some one make a home brew that's like a regular commercial brew, and definately not a lager or heavier?

GH

:cannotbe:

Sorry, not familiar with Jon Wayne. What style is he?

Me spill homebrew...never. That would be alcohol abuse.

Ales can be brewed at room temp. Lagers require a dedicated refridge at 35-50 degf. If you want to make something like Bud Lite...pi$$ off and go to the Stop and Go and by a pack of tall boys. My old favorite recipe was something like a Newcastle Brown Ale, but with more hopps and 1.5 # of honey to kick the boose level. The honey gave it a hint of floral fragrence that (believe it or not) was quite enjoyable. Seriously, not to be condesending, If you really like 30 deg Bush tall boys, you'll need to educate your pallet to enjoy home brew. But after you have, you'll be enjoying stouts at room temp and lagers at 50 degF. And cleanlyness is top priority. An errant bacterium can change the flavor into something less that enjoyable, and the first batch is a learning experience. Follow it through and be patent. If you drink it too soon, you may be needlessly dissapointed. Have one if you must, but save some untill it has settled and matured before you pass judgment. If you cam find a local supplier, they will be most helpfull because they are likly fanatics and want you be one too and they want to sell you supplies.
Happy brewing

Re: after doing lots of wishing,

extremy said:
Anyone go farther than beer?
I'd like to pass into the beyond, and hear what is needed to make Cognac. I know its made from wine grapes. I can grow some fine grapes here in the back yard.
I'll probably need to install a proper listening room yet though. My setup on the TV is just right so far for movies.
I'm missing a good source for cognac. Actually I'd like to try a cognac as fresh off the vine as possible. I bet its near as good a high as fresh potatoes or other foods from fresh garden veggies.
Can some one make a home brew that's like a regular commercial brew, and definately not a lager or heavier?

GH

:cannotbe:

I've never distilled anything, but I have made Ice Mead, by freezing mead in a corny keg, and skimming the ice out to concentrate the remaining sugars (and alcohol). Home distillation in the US is illegal, BTW. Just wanted to point that out.

Cognac is distilled wine. After the wine is fermented to about 8% ABV, it is twice distilled and aged in oak casks. I really don't think you want young cognac, any more than you would want young Scotch or Bourbon. The wood aging is what smooths out spirits.

As far as homebrewing beers like "commercial" beers, which are mainly lagers (I'm assuming you mean the likes of Bud, Miller, LaBatts, etc). Those types of beers are very difficult to brew, since there is nothing to hide behind, like tons of hop flavor, or lots of dark roasted grains, as in a Stout or Porter. The slightest flaw in brewing technique, or sanitation, or temperature, will stand out like a sore thumb. And most homebrewers homebrew because they don't like commercial beers.

I've become a "subsistence" brewer. The beer I drink is what I brew, and any beer I buy is special bottles for my cellar collection. I can't even remember the last time I bought a case of beer to just drink. I buy cases of Barleywine or Imperial Stout, but those are to put down for aging.

Picture of my cellar:

Attachments

• beer_cellar_01.jpg
    beer_cellar_01.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 110
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Brian Donaldson said:
My old favorite recipe was something like a Newcastle Brown Ale, but with more hopps and 1.5 # of honey to kick the boose level. The honey gave it a hint of floral fragrence that (believe it or not) was quite enjoyable.

Hmm Newcastle Ale. I had one once and though it was quite good. I also like the taste of Boddington's Pub Ale while talking about UK beer. Brian, the favorite recipe you mentioned sounds damn good!

What kind of beers do you guys tend to enjoy the most - Lagers or Ales? Living in Pennsylvania (we have the third largest number of microbrews behind California and Colorado in the US as well as the oldest brewery in the country - Yuengling - who makes a good lager) I've sampled enough types of both to know that they both hold a special place in my heart :) Having said that, is it easier to make one or the other?

My favorite beer is called hop hog from lancaster brewing company. http://www.lancasterbrewing.com/Beerinfopages/HopHogInfo.html
I've had other hoppy beers but this one is very well balanced. I also like that they don't use any preservatives in their beer.

If I didn't live 20 minutes away from an excellent brewery (and had the funds to start out :boggled: ) I would definitely try to brew some stuff on my own. But I'm young and patient, so I can wait to experience brewing bliss. :drink:

I expected to see more beer nuts post here as this forum has people from all over, but I guess most people here choose to "invest" their money in the audio sector. :Ohno:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.