Do all audio amplifiers really sound the same???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:
One very serious issue is that when doing a blind test most people, if not experienced, are somewhat confused. It is as if they are lost somehow, and the reason is that now they miss a lot of inputs that they used to have. It's like driving a car and all of a sudden they take away your side mirrors and the spedometer. You can still drive but its quite unfamiliar and therefore more stressfull and hard.

Similar things happen when you do a blind test without a lot of experience. You miss the familiar sight of those amps, the colors, the nice panel LEDs, the impressive heatsinks, the reassurance that there is a fine piece of equipment you spend your hard-earned $$$ on.

I'm serious, I'm not saying these are important, but they are part of the familiar 'picture'. Remember that the brain produces a fused, integrated perception of all senses plus memories and expectation. Now part of those inputs is gone. It is a new situation and needs getting used to. It is plausible that dbt's become effective only after you have familiarized yourself with the new perceptive environment it presents.

Jan Didden

I agree with this, I've said a few times it took me years of listening and experimenting, to learn to listen. At this stage I can normally tell within seconds what differences I hear and I still have lots to discover.

jlsem said:

I believe it's the small differences that are the main concern. I don't doubt that someone who has very good hearing and is a good listener could, with lots of practice over a reasonable period of time, distinguish amplifier A from amplifier B better than 50% of the time. Switching back and forth at his own leisure (knowing, of course, which amplifier he is listening to), getting to know any nuances peculiar to A or B, and picking places in the recording where there exists a reliable "tell", it's quite possible, even under the pressure of having a browbeating James Randi in the room, to differentiate between components in a double blind test situation. The problem then is that the shoe will be on the other foot and it will be the scientific types who won't accept the results, because such a testing regimen doesn't correspond to any that they may have seen before.

John

No, the problem is that noone has actually managed to differentiate amps in a blind test, Randi in the room or not. Scientific types are "scientific" because they will change the position once there is enough concrete evidence. This is how science works, and advances.

Andre Visser said:

I agree with this, I've said a few times it took me years of listening and experimenting, to learn to listen. At this stage I can normally tell within seconds what differences I hear and I still have lots to discover.

I have never matched levels on anything I've compared, nor have I measured FR or clipping. Please correct me as I'm assuming, but you don't routinely either? The big money question for us is, if we did, would we hear as much difference, perhaps even none?

Maybe I will have some more work to do...

cuibono said:
I have never matched levels on anything I've compared, nor have I measured FR or clipping. Please correct me as I'm assuming, but you don't routinely either? The big money question for us is, if we did, would we hear as much difference, perhaps even none?

Maybe I will have some more work to do...

I've done level matching a lot, at the end as I've said earlier, a good amp will sound good at almost any volume level, a bad one never. Surely when they are close it will be important to match, but to me nowadays if it's close why bother.

cuibono said:

Okay, you keep repeating this. But until you actually are show us these findings, you might as well have invented what you are talking about.

For the benefit of everyone here who wants to learn, please share them with us.

Do you know what you respond to?

This is what I wrote

Actually not. According to the findings of LTS and the people involved a bypass test can often be performed with success even in a relatively medioker test set up. Of course there are limitations but what you say is simply false.

Switches, opamps and cables ARE inserted in the test set up but still most amps and digital can be picked out in controlled blind tests.

Would my credibility increase in your eyes if I said it was the other way around?

I really don't get what you are after.

If you are afraid that I (or anyone else) make things up and find that hard to take I suggest you stay out of the boards.. ah stop meeting people in real life as well... you know you can't trust anyone anyhow..

If you did read all of my posts in this thread (which seems a smart thing to do if you go on to critisize me) you will see that I have said that I do not have any papers or articles at hand, but I know that this can be found at Swedish librarys. However with the attitude some in this thread have I don't feel like spending hours collecting material just to satisfy you/them.

Besides this, I did link to an article that backed up what I was talking about earlier so again I don't understand what you are talking about or what you are after. But OTOH if you think my written words are lies, then written words in an article may be lies as well.. it's better not to trust people right?

In the end it's up to you to educate yourself and if you want other to assist and help with that it may be wise to have an open mind and a good attitude.

/Peter

The problem then is that the shoe will be on the other foot and it will be the scientific types who won't accept the results, because such a testing regimen doesn't correspond to any that they may have seen before.

On the contrary, as long as it's done in a controlled way (i.e., sound cues only, no peeking) and is capable of replication, this would be absolutely acceptable to any scientist.

cuibono said:

SY, do you have to be coy? ;)

Yes, it's my nature.

I'll give you one possibility. Suppose I have two boxes, call them amp A and amp B, both of which are "blameless" in an ABX test but differ acording to some audiophile criteria. I set up a data logger inside each box which measures how long music is played through each one. I give the boxes to a listener to use at home (or wherever). Over time, I find that the listener tends to use box A more than box B. OK, fine, now let's give that pair to another listener, or recode the boxes and give them back to the original subject. Is the same amp listened to longer? After 10 trials, whether different listeners, repeats with the same listener, or some combination, we find that (despite the null detection of difference in the ABX) 9 times out of 10, the amp originally in box A gets significantly more listening time.

Would you call that a positive result? I would.

Bratislav said:

No, the problem is that noone has actually managed to differentiate amps in a blind test, Randi in the room or not. Scientific types are "scientific" because they will change the position once there is enough concrete evidence. This is how science works, and advances.

Oh, and that you know?

I have picked out mic-pres and CD-players/DAT's in blind tests and as I've mentioned earlier most amps tested by LTS has NOT passed the before/after bypass test.

I can tell you the poweramps I have tested in my home and at friends have been much easier to differentiate than the low level electronics.

/Peter

Pan said:

Oh, and that you know?

I have picked out mic-pres and CD-players/DAT's in blind tests and as I've mentioned earlier most amps tested by LTS has NOT passed the before/after bypass test.

I can tell you the poweramps I have tested in my home and at friends have been much easier to differentiate than the low level electronics.

/Peter

You can tell many things. It won't change any facts, unfortunately.

Pan said:

I really don't get what you are after.

/Peter

Peter, I didn't intend to chafe you, so please accept my apology. But you keep referring to results we have no access to, and without seeing them ourselves, what you have to say is anecdotal. Specifically, you keep referring to LTS studies showing detectable differences between components. If this is the article you referred to, first off, its doesn't stand up to scientific standards for published results, second it contradicts what you've been getting at.

janneman said:

I'm serious, I'm not saying these are important, but they are part of the familiar 'picture'. Remember that the brain produces a fused, integrated perception of all senses plus memories and expectation. Now part of those inputs is gone. It is a new situation and needs getting used to. It is plausible that dbt's become effective only after you have familiarized yourself with the new perceptive environment it presents.

Jan,

what about cases that have been labeled as very obvious ? Case in point, Quad 303 and 405 have been described as "laughable" more than once in this thread alone (and in some British press as well).
Surely, lack of extra perceptory clues should not matter in those cases ?
Clark's test also used some of the most extreme examples. I know that most Golden Ears would laugh at even a suggestion of comparing the Pioneer receiver to Levinson or Futterman. Those extreme cases should be rather impervious to "discomfort" a blind test causes, yet not one positive result was recorded.

Bratislav said:

You can tell many things. It won't change any facts, unfortunately.

Yes, telling things to eachother is kind of what a forum is about.. or should we all be quite? Or maybe only allowed to talk if we can back everything we say up with a peer reviewed study?

This is just so silly!

I'm not trying to change facts, I tell you facts.

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.