DJ Rig Humming problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey not entirely sure if this is the place to post this but i have a really bad humming problem in my DJ Rig when its set up at home. And of course im a bit of an audiophile as well. so heres a list of what ive got in my setup in the order hooked up:
1 Numark C3 5 channel DJ mixer.
1 Behringer FBQ 3102 dual channel 31 band EQ with sub woofer output.
2 Behringer B212A speakers (12 and horns)
2 Behringer EP2000 2000 watt at 4 ohms bridged amplifiers.
2 Behringer B1800XPRO 18 inch subwoofers 1600 watts at 8 ohms.

now this humming problem has me concerned as i just got back from DJ'ing a wedding. where this hum was non existent. ive had it before and after the wedding while the rigs been set up in my house.
Any help would be appreciated. NOTE this is all pro audio gear nothing DIYed and all of it should be extremely low noise for example the mixer has 0.01% THD i believe

So let me get this straight. No one here in the DIY audio forum has 2 bits worth of knowledge about audio systems troubleshooting. Yes its all plugged into the same circuit. Yes i used sheilded ballanced lines. Yes i have checked ever connection to see if its loose. Yes i had the hum before i went to the wedding to DJ. No i did not have the hum at the wedding. Yes when i got home i had the hum again. Yes im impatient. Yes this system is what i have to survive off of. which means that if it isnt working right in my house what means it will work right everywhere else. again any help is appreciated. but i really dont have much time to waste waiting for a reply.

OK, you have a problem related to your house wiring, or the way in which you have routed your cables (unlikely), or maybe you have an intermittent ground connection in your interconnect. Did you always have the problem at home or did it just start before you went to do the gig?

Is there a safety earth in your domestic wiring? Is it 2 or 3 pin? You could check the integrity of the earth at the plug to the consumer unit at the point where the supply enters the house.

w

i believe there is a saftey ground connected to the cold water pipe. im not sure if i can legally test it without calling an electrician as im in a rented house. the wiring is all 3 pin and i use all 3 pin cabling for my power interconnects. it does sound like a house wiring problem. Does it sound serious enough that i should leave my system off and unplugged until i get the problem resolved. as i have also got a $10,000 computer and i dont want to get any of my equipment damaged. thank you for your 2 bits worth of knowledge.

So let me get this straight. No one here in the DIY audio forum has 2 bits worth of knowledge about audio systems troubleshooting.

Yes im impatient. Yes this system is what i have to survive off of.

but i really dont have much time to waste waiting for a reply.
So you are a professional? This is your bread and butter? And you have no one in town to troubleshoot your system? Also does the attitude come with the job?

So you do not have hum away from home but you do at home? Set up the system at a friends or neighbor. I know too much trouble.

So you checked the cables. So disconnect one thing at a time. Disconnect the mixer. Do you still have hum? Next the EQ, remove it from the circuit. Run the mixer into the amps. Run the output to one amp and then to the other.

Troubleshooting is isolating every piece of equipment and determining if it is the one causing the fault. You also substitute a known working piece of equipment for one that is suspect. You do not list any sources, sure you would be using them. Could they be the cause?

I am assuming the hum does not get reduced if you turn all the inputs down. Disconnect the chain. is there still hum? Short the inputs. Is there still hum.

Not really sure what you would like us to tell you. Something is wrong and you had it working previously. Isolate the problem further and we'll take it from there.

im old enough thank you.. I have isolated every other thing. ive tried everything i could think of and everything anyone else i know thats been in the business for way longer than i have could think of as well. the reason i came here to get an answer is because i was tired of hearing the same old answer from everyone i talked to. i was hoping you guys would have a different take about the situation. I havent got the resources currently to move my system and anywhere i would move it to would be a great distance away from where the gear is needed. to move the gear usually i rent a trailer for the duration of the gig and i dont have alot of spare money from starting a company to rent a trailer to figure out a curiosity

So If you disconnect everything but the amps and the speakers you still get hum?

Swap one amp for the other, do you still get hum?

If the answer is no then it is farther up the chain. If you still have hum take the amps to another location and hook up a speaker to them. Does not have to be your DJ ones.

So far all I hear is it does not work and I tried everything. Nothing of what does work. Real hard to help you with a lack of information there bud.

Did you always have the problem at home or did it just start before you went to do the gig, or maybe you don't know because you just got the equipment?

It's unlikely that the safety earth wiring has gone bad. It might be disconnected at the socket. Can you try a different socket? Even if it is bad it probably wouldn't cause a lot of hum.

Are you running the units off a single multi-way adapter? Try unplugging various bits one-at-a-time to see if the noise is associated with one of them. Try unplugging the interconnect too. You could have a ground loop there that you didn't have at the gig, for whatever reason. Flex all the cables to make sure you haven't got an intermittent connection. You can have one even in a new cable.

w

yes printer i still get the hum
Well then ignore the rest of the chain, if you get hum with nothing plugged in to them your problem is with your amps.

Odd that it would be both of them that hum. Try lifting the ground on the power to the amps. Take a cheap extension cord with the three outlets. It will have a bit of platic at the end so you can not cheat and plug in a grounded plug without plugging it in the right way.

Cut it off and plug your amp in. Now you are getting power with no connection to your building ground wire. If this gets rid of your hum it is your house wiring that has a problem.

If it is still there all that is left is that your amps have a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.