diyAudio needs a new server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
François said:
I disagree with that: title introduce an hierarchy and destroy the communication between people. People will compare each other or will know who has more money :) I think the quality of the answers does not depends on how many posts you did since the beginning; it is not a race to win the "highest number of posts award". Paying for title will be like buying a social status.

This i don't understand. Currently there is a hierarchy based on number of posts, being able to buy a title of your own choosing would destroy that hierarchy.

I did say that a way had to be figured to accomodate people for whom $10* is unreachable so that titles would, somehow, be attainable by anyone.

*(still just a figure pulled from the air -- it could be just a donation of your choosing)

Having it known that you have made a donation visible as a unique title is no different than your name on a list of sponsors, except that it should be more fun, and will act as an advertisement for new users that they can contribute monetarily as well as content-wise.

dave

Best Intentions

Bernard, yes this is why I placed the starter links in the Wiki.
For example "BJT CCS - Info, Tips, Schematics and Links" with the text "Condensed Knowlege To Be Inserted Here".
Threads and quotes from threads were part of my intention.
Alas I intended to do some copy and paste myself, and inspire others to fling appropriate stuff into the Wiki.
I just haven't got a round tuit. :eek:

Eric.

Jason, how big is the site approximately at the moment (in Mb)?

I'm asking as I have a small idea that it should be possible to make the site readable offline and then burn it to CD....

I for one would be interested in such copy and would pay some sum of money for the effort and also to support the site. Yes, the site is up and readable, but many have slow connections etc. etc. and if there is a offline version it's at the same time a kind of a backup of the information on the site upto now, which is a huge "pile" of knowledge and in many parts such knowledge that you can not find from a book for example.

Anyway, feel free to love or hate the idea : )

Ergo

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Good news!

SitePoint has now offered to host diyAudio temporarily on its other bartered server which has a more generous free-bandwidth allowance (hosted at venturesonline, instead of rackspace) which will keep it free for the next few months anyway. The site will be moving in the next 2 weeks so it will probably be down or doing some kind of crazy ip redirection thing for one of those days while the DNS system sorts itself out.

This will give me a little more time up my sleeve to assess other options. Thanks very much to JasonL for his kind offer, I may still need to take you up on it! :D

Since you asked... stats:
DataBase - 160MB
Website - 7MB
Traffic - 20GB / mo
1.3M Page views on 100k Visits from 35K Uniques (dedicated lot aren't you? ;)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ok we're live with the new server. Please let me know of any glitches. If you're accessing this via the ip address you'll need to re-login because your cookie login was only valid for old domain, not the new ip. If you wait for the DNS to propogate your old cookie will become active again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.