diy wooden turntable and phy-hp replica unipivot tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK my cable is one piece about 4 feet long from cart direct solder to the phono amp's mc step up transformer's in-put. material is 28AWG 4N solid silver from Home Grown audio, 30AWG also will do the job but further thinner will not last for tie twist, will break off, they come with teflon tube, first cut 4 pieces in the length that you want, off the tube, hang them up with some weigh in the bottom, coat with polyurethane thin coat more than one coat is better. after dry through twist in two pair and twist again with the twisted, in doing this you will need a little tool. a piece card board as In the picture. drill 4 small holes with a tip in the middle for even distance in every twist and also with light tension force too, final wrap with thin teflon tape from pumping supply for outside protection . make sure there are no short circuit in twisting. and also it need break-in too load a resistor 2K plug to a radio line out play 24 hr. a day for a week, that will be enough for use. in here all my friends switch to this no matter how expensive tonearm they paid for .this is the bigger jump improve in the whole system but don't coast too much money . I hope you will understand what I talking with my poorer English
regard Tony KY Ma

Thank you. Could you explain a little bit more? Did you change only the outside wiring of the tonearm or did you change the inner wiring too? Do you have any photographs of your wiring? I looked at the homegrown audios web pages and I did not find the 28AWG wire just 26AWG.
My phono preamp is EAR 834P.

Thank you. Could you explain a little bit more? Did you change only the outside wiring of the tonearm or did you change the inner wiring too? Do you have any photographs of your wiring? I looked at the homegrown audios web pages and I did not find the 28AWG wire just 26AWG.
My phono preamp is EAR 834P.
my tonearm is Clearaudio's ,at the time I got it I took out the cable right away. because the pipe is straight and big , very easy to let the cable go through, and there a hole on the top of the pivot (original cable out hole) and I hang it up straight and to the amp directly. the arm can move very free, some friend's arm too small can not through inside they use tape hold it out side still can do the job,Homegrown audio they had more size before maybe you can ask by email, or you can try this first before you find some right size of silver, I use Belden silver coated stand teflon 24awg (7x32), off the teflon tube and separate each 32awg that you have 7 pieces from one piece. cooper is soft than silver 32awg can do the job this one also better than anything we had before untill we switch to silver
My phono is also home made with my design Mc step -up trans (silver 10 times) to WE437A to silver trans 1K:600 to RIAA net work (LCR 600ohm) to WE437A direct to WE300B to out-put trans 1K:600 silver too,
by the way you are a vinyl lover , do you think OK to wax a vinyl ? there a thread in here from me talking about this, maybe you can take a look and have a try with a vinyl that is not too important to you.
Tony KY Ma

Attachments

• Systems of Equations Sheet 24 009.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 009.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 634
  • Systems of Equations Sheet 24 005.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 005.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 619
  • Systems of Equations Sheet 24 006.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 006.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 615
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ciao sono quindi molto gelosi! Oh bene, un giorno... Naturalmente solo gelosi perché mi \ don' t hanno loro, non perché vi do.

(I am so very jealous! Oh well, someday...

Of course only jealous because I don't have them, not because you do.)

Cosa vuol dire? Sei gelosi (invidioso?) di questa gira disci? Anche Io :D

Fa molto freddo qui con ghiaccio, e neve...:D

Hmm, Italian or spanish:confused: have no idea what You guys are talking about:D

Anyway, details about the tonearm. I saw this tonearm the first time in Phy-Hp website. Original is designed by mr.Salabert.

I decided to try to make one for myself. It is made out of brass. I bended it to the shape and made counterweight. It is an unipivot tonearm. It is 18" long. I am going to use silver wiring to it, as soon as my order arrives.
It was relatively easy to make, because the design is pretty simple and easilly seen on the picture. I used 10mm brass tube to make the arm.

Here is a picture of the original tonearm, I used this photo as a guideline.
My tonearm might have different lengnth than the original, because I did not have any measurements.

Attachments

• varsi2.jpg
    varsi2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 608
  • varsi phy shindo.jpg
    varsi phy shindo.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 590
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cosa vuol dire ? Sei geloso
(invidioso?) di questo giradischi ? Anche io:D

Ho dimenticato molto... :D

I lived in Italy (Milano) as a teen-ager, but while I remember a lot of vocabulary, I no longer remember my noun verb pronoun gender agreement reliably.. We don't have that problem in English... :D

Cool turntable and arm though, and I am jealous of the skills exhibited. My diy table is much less ambitious so far.. (Custom acrylic plinth, lots of Thorens, Rega and some other parts..)

Ho dimenticato molto... :D

I lived in Italy (Milano) as a teen-ager, but while I remember a lot of vocabulary, I no longer remember my noun verb pronoun gender agreement reliably.. We don't have that problem in English... :D

Cool turntable and arm though, and I am jealous of the skills exhibited. My diy table is much less ambitious so far.. (Custom acrylic plinth, lots of Thorens, Rega and some other parts..)

Thank You for Your comments!
Is it possible to see pictures of Your turntable? I´m interested.

Hi, it's amazing. I am planning to DIY my turntable and that's why I found this thread. I want to start with bearing...can you share some more detail on your magnetic bearing? I did see pics and drawings but it's great if you share more information. I am mechanic and I want to do it myself...

Thanks

Dd bd dd

makaiyumtony: "I give you my idea is to use a old direct drive tt as the motor, and use a really very thin elastic thread (from clothing material supply) for the belt. the only thing you have to do is turn both by hand first and power on, ratio almost 1:1 very quite and smooth, and the bearing of a direct drive platter is much better than any other power motor."

I agree with you. I did similar experiment with a pair of Pioneer PL-L1000 turntables belt driving each other. I use VHS tape as interface and am happy with the result.

I agree with you. I did similar experiment with a pair of Pioneer PL-L1000 turntables belt driving each other. I use VHS tape as interface and am happy with the result.
Thank you for a lot pictures and information in the tonearm thread, so many things can change the sound quality in vinyl, cable also one of this, have you tried a very elastic thread as the belt ? worth to try compare to the VHS tape,I believe there will sound quite different.
tony ma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.