DIY with JBL 2235H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Hello Friends,

I am new in this forum. I need some help and/or recommendations.

Recently, I have acquired a nice pair of JBL 2235h's. They are known to be one of the best 15 inchers JBL ever made. I want to build a two-way system based on these woofers.

Any good suggestions?

I am not much experienced in this field. But, I think I may be capable of making something really nice with these woofers. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 2 kHz
Highest Recommended Crossover Frequency: 1000 Hz
Recommended Enclosure Volume: 85-285 L (3-10 ft3)
Effective Piston Diameter: 337 mm ( 13 1/4 in)
Maximum Excursion Before Damage: 22 mm (7/8 in peak to peak)
Minimum Impedance: 7.0 ohms ± 10% @ 25°C
Voice Coil Diameter: 100 mm (4 in)
Voice Coil Material: Edgewound copper ribbon
Voice Coil Winding Depth: 191 mm (3/4 in)
Magnetic Gap Depth: 7.1 mm (0.28 in)
Magnetic Assembly Weight: 8.5kg
Flux Density: 1.2 T ( 12,000 gauss)
Bl Factor: 20.5 N/A
Effective Moving Mass: 0.155 kg Positive voltage on black terminal gives forward diaphragm motion.
THIELE - SMALL PARAMETERS:
fs: 20 Hz
Re: 6.0 ohms
Qts: 0.25
Qms: 2.5
Qes: 0.28
Vas: 460 L ( 16.2 ft3)
Sd: 0.089 m2 ( 138 in2)
Xmax: 8.5 mm (0.33 in)
Vd: 757 cm3 (46 in3)
Le: 1.2 mH
no (Half space)2: 1.3%
Pe (Max): 150 W Continuous sine wave
MOUNTING INFORMATION:
Overall Diameter: 388 mm (15 17/64 in)
Bolt Circle Diameter: 370 mm ( 14 9/16 in)
BAFFLE CUTOUT DIAMETER:
Front Mount: 355 mm (13 31/32 in)
Rear Mount: 343 mm ( 13 1/2 in)
Volume Displaced by Driver When Mounted in Enclosure: 6 L (0.2 ft3)
Depth: 137 mm (5 1/2 in)
Net Weight: 10.1 kg (22 1/4 lb)
Shipping Weight: 11.2 kg (24 3/4 lb)

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2235.htm

Last edited:
Selenium D408Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver 4-Bolt
Specifications: • Power handling: 200 watts (w/xover, 800 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
VCdia: 4" • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 400-20,000 Hz (no crossover) • SPL: 111 dB 1W/1M • Magnet weight: 92 oz. • Dimensions: 8" dia. x 3-3/8" D, bolt holes are on 4" dia. (mounting bolts included).

Overview
The 2" exit D408TI combines a stable structure for mid-frequency reproduction with a low mass that enables high frequency reproduction virtually linear to 20 kHz and features a ferrofluid cooled, copper clad aluminum wire (CCAW) voice coil wound on Kapton former.
Highlights
•Ferrofluid cooled, copper clad aluminum wire (CCAW) voice coil wound on Kapton® former
•Precisely engineered diaphragm structure and alignment mechanism allows for easy
•2" exit, for use with 4-hole mount horns
•Combines a stable structure for mid-frequency reproduction and a low mass that enables high frequency reproduction virtually linear to 20 kHz

Selenium D408Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver 4-Bolt 264-216

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Selenium D408Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver 4-Bolt
Specifications: • Power handling: 200 watts (w/xover, 800 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
VCdia: 4" • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 400-20,000 Hz (no crossover) • SPL: 111 dB 1W/1M • Magnet weight: 92 oz. • Dimensions: 8" dia. x 3-3/8" D, bolt holes are on 4" dia. (mounting bolts included).

Overview
The 2" exit D408TI combines a stable structure for mid-frequency reproduction with a low mass that enables high frequency reproduction virtually linear to 20 kHz and features a ferrofluid cooled, copper clad aluminum wire (CCAW) voice coil wound on Kapton former.
Highlights
•Ferrofluid cooled, copper clad aluminum wire (CCAW) voice coil wound on Kapton® former
•Precisely engineered diaphragm structure and alignment mechanism allows for easy
•2" exit, for use with 4-hole mount horns
•Combines a stable structure for mid-frequency reproduction and a low mass that enables high frequency reproduction virtually linear to 20 kHz

This Selenium D408Ti looks good.

Is it also good for HiFi home stereo? It may be good only for PA or sound reinforcement.

Hello Friends,

I am new in this forum. I need some help and/or recommendations.

Recently, I have acquired a nice pair of JBL 2235h's. They are known to be one of the best 15 inchers JBL ever made. I want to build a two-way system based on these woofers.

Any good suggestions?

I am not much experienced in this field. But, I think I may be capable of making something really nice with these woofers. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Hello RamJBL,

A 3-way would be better choice than a 2-way. The JBL L-300 is a good example. You can go to the Lansing Heritage website for more info.

Nelson Pass designed an updated version of the L-300 crossover.

You can find used JBL compression drivers on ebay.

Another good combo is 2235 + 6" (PHL Audio 1120) + Beyma TPL-150, Mini DSP active crossover LR24, 400hz, 1900hz. It is best to go active so you time align the drivers and use a little EQ to flatten the response.

Dan

Thanks guys for the replies.

First thing to do is finding the best high freq. driver I can afford. Also, need to find the suitable box volume. ... :)

Used EV DH1a. Cannot imagine you finding anywhere near so much for any money and I have know idea what could match it out there. I just bought a pair tor $200.00 shipped. This is a monster and it sounds astounding. You can run it with a 2 inch exit or remove the adapter and run it as a 1.4 inch exit. Check it out. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• EV DH1A & DH1A-16.pdf
    111.8 KB · Views: 237
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Used EV DH1a. Cannot imagine you finding anywhere near so much for any money and I have know idea what could match it out there. I just bought a pair tor $200.00 shipped. This is a monster and it sounds astounding. You can run it with a 2 inch exit or remove the adapter and run it as a 1.4 inch exit. Check it out. Best regards Moray James.
Well thanks for the recommandation.

Is it a better driver than these JBL Selenium D408Ti?

Well thanks for the recommandation.

Is it a better driver than these JBL Selenium D408Ti?

The DH1A is technically advanced they use a special Teflon coating on the inside of the top plate so if you have to punch it to the point of thermally expanding the voice coils they will be able to slip smoothly through the gap till they shrink back to size. The DH1A can generate a full ten acoustical watts of continuous output across its full band width, that's more than the 2226 woofer. It can be run at full power for 24 hours non stop. You can check out the attached link for more information. As far as I know the short answer is the DH1A is as good or better than anything at doing what it does. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/212240-high-frequency-compression-driver-evaluation.html

Hey RamJBL, how'd this work out for you? My buddy just gave me two 2235H's he found while cleaning his garage. I know nothing about home audio and was actually gonna toss these. Would they be worth building up? This would be my first home audio DIY.

Jeffy, DO NOT TOSS THEM.

DO NOT TOSS THEM.

They're great drivers, well worth building around. If you decide they're not for you, PM me and we'll see if we can work a trade.

Jeffy, DO NOT TOSS THEM.

DO NOT TOSS THEM.

They're great drivers, well worth building around. If you decide they're not for you, PM me and we'll see if we can work a trade.

Haha, If you wanted them, you probably should said they're alright and that you'd trade for them.

I'm a little curious now as to how these sound. I doubt my skills would bring these to their full potential, but I've come across a lot of time on my hands from being recently unemployed. I think I'm going to use these as a learning experience and hopefully put to use all the ridiculously technical information found in this site. You'll probably see a post begging for help soon, haha. Regardless, once I'm done, I'll decide wether or not I did them enough justice to keep them or pass them on...

"you gotta be a lil crazy to stay sane..."

Haha, If you wanted them, you probably should said they're alright and that you'd trade for them.

I'm a little curious now as to how these sound. I doubt my skills would bring these to their full potential, but I've come across a lot of time on my hands from being recently unemployed. I think I'm going to use these as a learning experience and hopefully put to use all the ridiculously technical information found in this site. You'll probably see a post begging for help soon, haha. Regardless, once I'm done, I'll decide wether or not I did them enough justice to keep them or pass them on...

"you gotta be a lil crazy to stay sane..."

:) I wouldn't try to pull a fast one on much of anybody (unless there were a robin-hood style ethical upside).

Be sure to check out the lansing heritage forums, where many have worked with this driver over the years.

I've been a Jeff in NJ- as I recall it's kinda awful, so you're the last guy I'd fool :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.