DIY windmill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gee, I'm building one right now!

sek said:
But think about it. If a year of successfull use of your construction covers it's cost, and the savings from then on could accumulate to a rough $5k a year, wouldn't this actually make you rich? :hot:

With $5k each year, a reasonable interest rate and the fact that you actually don't have to reduce your living standard by simply saving all of it, your'e a made man in a couple of years... ;)

In the "bad old days" of the stock market bubble (1999-2000) I analyzed a company which was going to manufacture a fuel cell for residential use. It was supposed to be more economic than gas or electricity delivered by a utility. Turns out that one of the great advantages of self-generation, at least in the U.S., is the absence of sales and franchise taxes, taxes on transportation etc. In parts of the US where natural gas was expensive the fuel-cell generation process was at a severe disadvantage.

It turns out that solar panels were more attractive on a long-term basis (as the catalyst in the exchanger had a life of only a couple years or so.)

If I were to build a wind propelled turbine I would look for a return on investment of at least 20%, taking into consideration all of the problems in implementation and design.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gee, I'm building one right now!

jackinnj said:
If I were to build a wind propelled turbine I would look for a return on investment of at least 20%, taking into consideration all of the problems in implementation and design.

An IRR of +20% is common practice.
Overhere windmills are promoted with tax benefits, the green energy story.
Farmers running on windmill energy in daytime, pushing excessive electricity to the powercompany.

Wind generator

Hi, I just sold some parts to a guy who is a regular on Otherpower.com. Please check my sale on Ebay for a large BLDC robot motor. I have quite a few of these and would like to see them put to good use. They generate three phase a.c. and are very efficient. The rotor is made from rare earth magnets. 65 RPM will produce 60 cycles at 235 volts. The motor is 22 inches diameter and weighs 120 pounds.

Attachments

• theta crop.jpg
    theta crop.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 198
Re: Wind generator

gearheaddruid said:
Hi, I just sold some parts to a guy who is a regular on Otherpower.com. Please check my sale on Ebay for a large BLDC robot motor. I have quite a few of these and would like to see them put to good use. They generate three phase a.c. and are very efficient. The rotor is made from rare earth magnets. 65 RPM will produce 60 cycles at 235 volts. The motor is 22 inches diameter and weighs 120 pounds.

Motorhead,

---U R G E N T ---
Please contact me by PM and send me picture(s) and your telephone number, asking price and qty. available. I could not view the one you posted. I may be interested in one or all of them for windpower applications. Thanx!

BTW, how much current will they make and watts?

Re: Re: Wind generator

rcavictim said:

Motorhead,

---U R G E N T ---
Please contact me by PM and send me picture(s) and your telephone number, asking price and qty. available. I could not view the one you posted. I may be interested in one or all of them for windpower applications. Thanx!

BTW, how much current will they make and watts?

Gearheaddruid,

OOPS! My apologies to Gearheaddruid. I was not paying enough attention and cannot now edit my post. I wouldn't call somone a motorhead to their face unless I knew/thought that was their handle. :D My mistake.

I managed to find your item on ebay. Yes, definitely interested in discussing these motors. Could be just what I'm looking for. For shipping maybe just strap a bunch on a pallett with each motor stuffed into an open top HD grocery store cardboard box, with cardboard cover on the entire mess and send by motor freight. No bother making crates or packing. We can discuss all this when we connect.

Do you think it would be possible to machine and insert a common shaft through the rotor center bearing of several of these as a pack to drive them all in parallel from one source?

BLDC motors

I do not see any reason you could not put them on a common shaft. They have a staggered stator so there is no "cogging" as they are turned. I do not know for sure but I think you could get 3kw out of one without a problem. I will try and measure the resistance of the windings and post it here. I currently have 20 of these motors. Here is a picture of the rotor assembly. I would love to figure out a way to remove the magnets. Could make for a killer woofer motor.

Attachments

• thetamag.jpg
    thetamag.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 141
Re: BLDC motors

gearheaddruid said:
I do not see any reason you could not put them on a common shaft. They have a staggered stator so there is no "cogging" as they are turned. I do not know for sure but I think you could get 3kw out of one without a problem. I will try and measure the resistance of the windings and post it here. I currently have 20 of these motors. Here is a picture of the rotor assembly. I would love to figure out a way to remove the magnets. Could make for a killer woofer motor.

Gearheaddruid,

As I mentioned above, I am unable to view any pictures posted here (computer problem) so please email them to me. Let's continue this discussion about your motors off-list. Thanx.

rcavictim said:

Yes, I'm at 1620 feet on a flat elevated plateau. The DX here is awesome too. Regular off-air TV booms in from Bufallo, NY., about 100 miles away to the south. It is good enough to watch most of the time.

There is a large commercial windfarm going in just about a mile or two just north of me.

except that is it TV, and it is from Buffalo !

a ufo landed on channel 7s roof but they did not report it untill it caught fire. :)

anyways that sounds like an awesome project, i hope we get to see ssome pics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.