• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"This looks like an audible peak to me. What do others say?"

I say, if that ~1 dB rise is significant compared to your overall room response smoothness, congratulations!

As far as how toe-in is defined, seems to me it's always been in terms of the speaker wrt the room, not the listener.

No toe-in means a rectangular speaker's sides are parallel to the side walls.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
My "standard" is very close to the even sided triangle, like Markus show

But is also influenced by room and speaker design
Speakers wider apart gives room for greater listening distance
If room results in less distance between speakers, listening distance also gets closer to speakers
Personally I prefer to do my speakers to work very close to on axis

But slanted baffles and driver ofsett has some influence on that

btw, mr Gedlee, your positive comment on toe-in is noted :)

noah katz said:

I say, if that ~1 dB rise is significant compared to your overall room response smoothness, congratulations!

As far as how toe-in is defined, seems to me it's always been in terms of the speaker wrt the room, not the listener.

No toe-in means a rectangular speaker's sides are parallel to the side walls.

I think Marcus would be concerned with the direct field. Sure it would be better to be +- 0 dB, but thats just a little difficult to do on a budget.

For sake of discussions here, lets use the toe-in defs as I stated them since most seem comfortable with that.

Yes Earl, I'm talking about the direct field.

noah katz said:

Hmm, it has been shown that broad peaks or dips over a couple of octaves are highly audible even if they are as low as 1dB whereas narrower deviations are inaudible. That's why I asked about the Harper's in the first place.

Best, Markus

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
gedlee said:

For sake of discussions here, lets use the toe-in defs as I stated them since most seem comfortable with that.

Will do, but need to say that the special term "toe-in" was "invented" by testers many years ago when some people began to do the od thing with angling speakers so the on axis crossed in front of listener
Toe-in was the only way they could descibe this, but there was never any doubt about what it meant, until now

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
markus76 said:

Listening on the speakers' 0° axis is "no toe-in"

Thats how it is, and a good way to define it

As I said, "on axis" is the reference, what else could it be
"Off axis", well we all know that one pretty good, and no need to call it anything else
"Toe-in" is to describe the od one, nothing else

But please, do call it "Summa-toe-in"
Im sure Earl wouldnt mind:D

Markus,

I agree with you that toe-in refers to any angle turned toward the center line from a straight ahead position. This jibes with its normal meaning when referring to such things as wheel alignment, etc.

I have NEVER heard speakers pointed directly at the listener as having no toe-in. On the contrary, I've always heard mention to toe in the speakers to aim at the listening position.

Whether the speaker axes cross at the listening position, in front of, or behind, it's just a matter of the AMOUNT of toe in.

As an example of what I have ALWAYS seen in relation to this, see an example in the link.

This is all I'm going to say about this, so I won't respond to any further aguments.

Speaker toe in

Or

Toe-in

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
:bawling:

I would certainly not have anyone to follow me if I could be wrong :)

New game, everything is toed-in ;)
But life was much easier in the old days before the toe-in, when everything was just plain ordinary off axis

Who cares anyway, its just a silly word invented by the speaker test publishers some 25 years ago, as I recal :wchair: never used it, never will

cheers:)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
markus76 said:

I think you don't know how big the crowd you're talking about really is...

And if this were a democracy they would rule and decide:hot:

Too early for the small minority to give in, and with Earl on my side I feel the force coming:D

Fact is that the term "toe-in" was invented because off-axis was no longer sufficient
Theres normal off-axis, and theres toe-in off-axis
It was needed to avoid repeatedly long explanations in speaker tests, in a time long before internet

You better respect the wisdom of the elder :judge:

tinitus said:

Fact is that the term "toe-in" was invented because off-axis was no longer sufficient
Theres normal off-axis, and theres toe-in off-axis
It was needed to avoid repeatedly long explanations in speaker tests, in a time long before internet

:bs:

"Toe-in" and "off axis" are two completely different things.
"Toe-in" refers to the angular position of the speaker's forward axis turned from the straight ahead position toward the line between the speakers.

"Off-axis" refers to, in a general sense, the listener or measurement position away from the forward axis of the speaker, no matter where the axis is directed.

Very simple concepts. No need to take such a simple and conventionally understood concept and reinvent it into something that would confuse communicating with others that have no problem with such conventional understanding.

Invented LONG before the internet:

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44 [gcide]:

Toe \Toe\, verb (used without an object) To hold or carry the toes (in a certain way).

{To toe in}, to stand or carry the feet in such a way that the toes of either foot incline toward the other.

{To toe out}, to have the toes of each foot, in standing or walking, incline from the other foot.

gedlee said:
It just seems to me that everything being "toe-in" makes the word pointless. No one points their speakers straight ahead, parallel to the walls - no one that knows what they are doing at least. If everything else is "toe-in" then there is no point in even using the term.

Earl, whether or not anyone points their speakers straight ahead (and they do), it doesn't negate the use of the term toe-in in a geometrical sense. So yes, any set of speakers that is not pointed straight out is toed in (assuming they are not toe out to the other side of straight ahead--and yes, I've actually seen people recommend this!)

Further, I disagree that the term is useless. It is much more efficient than saying one speaker is turned clockwise, and the other counter-clockwise. It is just a reference to the straight ahead position.

markus76 said:
No toe-in - looks good:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Traditional 30° piston speaker toe-in:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Summa toe-in:

Best, Markus

Therefore, in Markus' first figure, the speakers are not toed in, and the listener is 30 degrees off axis.

In the second, the speakers are toed in 30 degrees, or to the listener position, and the listerner is on axis.

In the last, the speakers are toed in 45 degrees, or 15 degrees past the listening position, and the listener is 15 degrees off axis.

Simple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.