• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ludvig_S, you are not reachable...

Ludvig_S said:
I just want to write a note about three 15" wavguides that were delivered from Gedlee today.

They are actually bigger than 15". More like 17". The visual finish is not high enough to mount them untreated in a speaker, but that was not what I had expected either. They need to be countersinked into the baffle, and need some putty and sanding since the edges of the waveguide are a bit rugged and not completely regular. But after doing this, they should be just fine estethically.

The mounting plates are drilled with very high precision. The throat transition waveguide<->mountingplate<->compressiondriver makes a smooth, perfect fit. The foamplugs also fits very well into the waveguides and has a nice exterior roundover.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the mechanical design and finish of this product.

I am very curious!

Would you mind contacting me Ludvig as you are not allowing anyone to contact you? I could have written this in swedish but that would have been impolite.

//Per

Re: Hi Ludvig_S, you are not reachable...

phi said:

I am very curious!

Would you mind contacting me Ludvig as you are not allowing anyone to contact you? I could have written this in swedish but that would have been impolite.

//Per

Hi Per,

since I have registered here very recently, I'm under moderation and that seem to block the possibility to contact or be contacted by other members.

Please contact me on www.streamingaudio.se

Demo pair

Gedlee,
Does someone have the demo pair of Nathans you were sending out?

If so, it would be helpful and interesting for anyone listening to the demo pair to write in about their experience. Any pros or cons, what kind of speaker do they normally listen to, type of equipment, and type of music.

Thanks.
Tom

The demo set took some time to get painted. Paint is such a pain. I finally broke down and bought a pro painting setup to see if I can get rid of the problems that I keep having.

They should go out this week, or early next.

But I can't force people to post. A lot of people just won't - you have to have a thick skin! The reality is that these forums don't really allow for dissent unless one is ready to take abuse. Fairness and respect are in short supply.

I remember seeing that wave guide while browsing through some sites, don't recall any data was published, otherwise I would have taken notes. I do recall the guide is cast aluminum with some ribs to break up some modes. The add claimed that FEA of structural modes were conducted to determine the locations of the ribs.

Its hardly an octave. If 54 Hz is the -6 dB (as it is usually spec'd) point then its more like 1/3 octave or less. The Abbey goes a lot lower than the Nathan.

LF extension is matter of choice and my philosophy is not to bother. The Abbey could easily be modified to reach 54 Hz with porting, but, to me, that would be the wrong thing to do. You have to pick your target, you can't design for multiple subs and not multiple subs, something won't be optimum.

gedlee said:
Its hardly an octave. If 54 Hz is the -6 dB (as it is usually spec'd) point then its more like 1/3 octave or less. The Abbey goes a lot lower than the Nathan.

LF extension is matter of choice and my philosophy is not to bother. The Abbey could easily be modified to reach 54 Hz with porting, but, to me, that would be the wrong thing to do. You have to pick your target, you can't design for multiple subs and not multiple subs, something won't be optimum.
I do have difficulty understanding how "random" placing of multiple subs can be optimum. Some designers think that placing multiple subs to excite as many modes as possible, which is a point of view I can understand; but a non-technical based approach as "random" just means "wherever you put them it will work regardless" is just something that cannot be technically explained.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.