• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just the waveguide. Leakage of the molds has been an issue. Once I glued the waveguide to the table with leaked poly. So I have to be careful to leave enough clamping area all around to make sure that it won't leak. The stuff is very thin when its poured, like water, goes through very tiny holes

There is some talk with the "manufacturing engineers" about casting the whole baffle, but tooling costs, setup, materials, all go way up. A fully cast baffle would allow me to better integrate the waveguide into the baffle (no need for clamping areas) solving a couple of problems at one time. But this being such an imense complication means that it isn't going to happen in the first versions. I need to KISS these first attempts.

Parts shortage

B&C informs me that they cannot ship out 12TBX100 drivers until the first of October because they are sold out and the next shipment won't arrive until then. Thus no Abbey kits will ship until October. Fortunately I have a 12TBX100 here so I can do the development work in the mean time.

I have decided to allow the pair of Nathans that I have to "tour" for review. I will keep a list of people who want to review them. I will send the speakers out in crates and the reviewer has two weeks or TBD to use them at their location. If they like them then they can buy that pair or order the kit or a pair made by me. A deposit of 100% of the kit price will be required as long as the speakers are in the reviewers posestion. When they arrive at the next listeners location the deposit minus the initial shipping cost (to them), will be reimbursed. Please E-mail me with your name and I will start the list. The speakers will go to the first person to put down a deposit using sales@gedlee.com at www.Paypal.com . You can be on this list without a deposit but when you name comes up you will have to pay the deposit promptly or your name will be removed.

Please note that subs (plural!) are strongly recommended.

SoongSC

Thats fair. I f you are willing to coordinate and pay in full up front as well as all shipping, then if no one in Taiwan wants them you can sednd them back and I'll reimburse you for the price.

ALL -- I have the first reviewer, so now there is only a list. Please E-mail me directly to egeddes at gedlee dot com

Oh yeah, forgot to say, the picture was supposed to be a couch. I was saying I wanted to build a subwoofer into the empty compartments of a couch like that. There are usually large empty area's where the bends are below the arm rests. I figured that empty space could become useful (besides as a bass trap).

pjpoes said:
I'm buying three, hopefully!:xeye: Not sure how much more patiently I can wait. Hmm, what if I froze myself in the cold and then you guys could defrost me with the new Abbey's become available.

I hope that you have a deposit down, because if you don't your looking at what could be a really long wait. I can't ship anything until October and then I have a bulk of orders to fill. Sounds like a good Christmas present to me :)

Kit options

Earl

I see you have updated your website to show just two options for the Nathan and Abbey, there is however still a comment relating to baffle only options.

Can we assume that you are now only providing the complete kit and the finished speaker as your two options.

Also are the MDF parts cnc'd or handmade by yourself?

Thanks

Nick.

Thanks for the inquiry.

I'll do an update on several fronts.

Yes, I have reduced the options down to those that make sense for me. The baffle only option did not make sense as it is the core of the product, kind of the family jewel, and selling it alone is not in my best interest.

I will delete the wood parts if someone want to reduce shipping costs (and a $50 price reduction) if thats worth it to you, but thats all. For overseas customers this means that they will have to pay the import duty on the drivers, etc.

The wood parts for the Nathan are now being made on a CNC machine, but John is seriously late on delivery and I'm not sure what to make of that. If late is the only problem then the kits just get shipped out late, but I have not seen any of the parts yet so I don't know what the issue is.

I have built an Abbey and will be doing the crossover for it this week. B&C has actually received the shipment of 12" drivers and so I could, conceivably, start shipping the Abbey in a week or so. The first shipments of the Abbey will be hand-cut parts, but with "lessons learned" - like beveling corners on the table saw BEFORE radius routing and better precision in the table saw cuts. I have new blades and most important a new Dado blade as the one that I was using was about 20 years old. But like the early Nathans they may have some start-up issues to be worked through. But also like the Nathans, the price will likely go up once these problems have been resolved.

There is also the possibility that the kits could be elliminated altogether. If I can only make enough parts to fulfill "assembled" orders, then there won't be kits. People are starting to see the advantage of an assembled system and these orders have increased substantially.

To answer the question before it gets asked - why can't I make more parts? Its simple. I am working in my garage and this is a seriuosly limited environment. To make more parts I would need to move to a facility and hire some helpers. I could then make a lot more parts, but the overhead skyrockets. I would have to sell twice as much as I do now just to break even. The situation is obvious - if there is enough sustained demand then the move to a seperate facility makes sense, but if there is not then that won't happen and the supply will remain low to match the demand. The price will then, of course, rise until the demand matchs the limited volume that I can supply.

I've thought this all through and that is the situation. I think that it helps potential customers to understand what they might expect in the future as far as availability and price go. Nothing is fixed or guaranteed.

The Abbey+ is still being considered. I have a supply of 15" waveguides that are very good (the 15" waveguide is, right now, the only seperate part that I will sell. Thats because my supply for them is not as much of a load on me, although they do require work on my end making the plates and foam plugs.) I will likely build an Abbey+ with these waveguides to test and see how it compares to the Abbey. If the benefit is not great enough then I'll shelve that design and look further at plan "B". Plan "B" uses an elliptical waveguide - plan "B" is thus high risk and uncertain due to manufacturing feasibilty issues.

gedlee said:
[

The Abbey+ is still being considered. I have a supply of 15" waveguides that are very good (the 15" waveguide is, right now, the only seperate part that I will sell. [/B]

What are you asking for the 15 inch wave guides. I would want 2
for stereo use only.

I had been considering the 12 inch but I want to make the speakers with Baltic birch and veneer and solid wood for the radiused front vertical edge and top edge. as I do not care for painted speakers and do not want to work with MDF. I particularly would not want the waveguides to be attached to MDF panels.

I really only wanted the wave guide, foam insert and documentation.

B&C are imported direct to Canada from Italy. So US importing is not required.

You would probably not like the waveguide that I have because they would have to be painted. And I don't know how you would install them into finished solid wood baffles. I don't mind selling them to you, but you have to take them as is - fiberglass units with foam plug and mounting plate, but an unfinished out edge.
If you are still interested E-mail me on the side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.