• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
audiokinesis said:
Patrick, I agree with Earl on staying with woofers that have shorting rings instead of compromising to meet a psychologically attractive price point. In my experience, shorting rings make an audible improvement (I can give anecdotes if you'd like).

I agree that they make an audible improvement. I also believe the improvement would be more audible in the Summa, because the fifteen is being pushed to it's limit. In the Abbey - not so much.

audiokinesis said:
If I were in Earl's shoes, I wouldn't make what I thought was a significant compromise in sound quality to meet a target price. Maybe that's why neither one of us have gotten rich selling speakers yet! But, I presume it matters to Earl that his name only be attached to products which he has no reservations about.

edit: In my opinion Earl's market is the educated customer; that's why he has found success here rather than in traditional high-end audio (which is less educated): You guys are very deeply interested in the technology of acoustically and psychoacoustically advanced loudspeakers.

Duke

I'm more cynical than most; I believe the kits have been more successful simply because the price point is in reach of many people. Few can afford to spend $6000 on a set of speakers, but many can afford $1998. Imagine if you could only buy a Honda Accord with a V6? I own one with a 4 cylinder and one with a 6 cylinder, and the V6 rules... but it costs more.

All I'm proposing is $1998 Abbey which has the B&C compression driver coupled to a less expensive woofer; of course those who prefer B&C for CD and woofer could still opt for that.

gedlee said:

Actually the big break through was finding a local source that is competitive with Thailand.

Its very interesting what is happening in international economy. Asian labor rates are growing rapidly, the dollar is falling and transportation cost are going through the roof. All this says that in a very short time manufacturing will start to move back to the US as its cheaper.

This is exactly what happened in Thailand. When I started the Baht was at 40 / $, now its 32 / $. Their labor rates have increases 10% in that time and now transportation costs are nearly double. It used to be that a waveguide from Thailand was 1/2 of the cost here. Now it is very close - only about 20% less - but at the current rate it will be cheaper here.

I am talking with Ai in Thailand now about selling into Aus directly instead of the parts coming from here.

I will be in this if that comes off.

Ian

Patrick, I didn't go with the TAD because of the alnico magnet specifically. I wanted a 10" to 12" woofer with about 92-93 dB efficiency and a high quality motor. No home woofers fit that description, and in prosound 10" and 12" woofers are usually really midranges - the don't go down very deep. A few other companies made "studio woofers", but the TAD was the only one I found that brought it all together.

That being said, "top-shelf" doesn't necessarily mean "best for all applications". Although I didn't participate in the blind study comparing the TAD & B&C Summas, from the sidelines I preferred the B&C. And the TAD was my dog in the fight.

Duke

could electronics/dsp effect a cost savings or higher quality?

for diy a current drive servo around a cheap PA for the woofer amp is no problem, custom current drive amp for the compression driver wouldn't need huge wattage?

wouldn't current drive eliminate some distortions that people are throwing money at in high quality motor designs?

current drive needs eq, op amp or dsp? - dsp could fix other probelms that are next to impossible to address otherwize

I got home late and missed all this. Very interseting discussion of marketing loudspeakers. Marketing is not my strong suite and I will consider these options. I'll think this over and get back. But I do think that an option that saves $101 (about 10%) which has notable and audible degradation (not saying that this would be the case, but I suspect that it might) would not be one that many people would opt for.

gedlee said:

Actually the big break through was finding a local source that is competitive with Thailand.

Its very interesting what is happening in international economy. Asian labor rates are growing rapidly, the dollar is falling and transportation cost are going through the roof. All this says that in a very short time manufacturing will start to move back to the US as its cheaper.

This is exactly what happened in Thailand. When I started the Baht was at 40 / $, now its 32 / $. Their labor rates have increases 10% in that time and now transportation costs are nearly double. It used to be that a waveguide from Thailand was 1/2 of the cost here. Now it is very close - only about 20% less - but at the current rate it will be cheaper here.

I am talking with Ai in Thailand now about selling into Aus directly instead of the parts coming from here.

If this means waveguides from Thailand thats great. If this means only complete built AI systems then I would rather buy parts from US and pay the freight. I wouldnt like to think that the availability of complete systems from AI in Thailand would exclude me from buying parts from the the US particularly as the Abbey + is my most likely prefered configuration. Mike A

augerpro said:
Earl have you looked at many of B&C's neo motor woofers? Specifically something like the 15NW76 in view of the need to run these woofers higher this model seems quite good and the price is about the same as the 15TBX100. I just bought a pair myself for testing.

I've looked at their Neo woofers in the past. If weight is not an issue then the extra price did not seem justified to me. The 15NW76 does look very attractive, except that its efficiency may be too high to mate with the DE250.

Michael Ando said:

If this means waveguides from Thailand thats great. If this means only complete built AI systems then I would rather buy parts from US and pay the freight. I wouldnt like to think that the availability of complete systems from AI in Thailand would exclude me from buying parts from the the US particularly as the Abbey + is my most likely prefered configuration. Mike A

What came out of Thailand would be the same as what I sent from here, just different locations. There would be the same options for parts etc. The drivers will definately be more expensive so the complete kit would be more, but the waveguide and baffle would be the same price.

jcx said:
could electronics/dsp effect a cost savings or higher quality?

for diy a current drive servo around a cheap PA for the woofer amp is no problem, custom current drive amp for the compression driver wouldn't need huge wattage?

wouldn't current drive eliminate some distortions that people are throwing money at in high quality motor designs?

current drive needs eq, op amp or dsp? - dsp could fix other probelms that are next to impossible to address otherwize

There is no way that DSP could be a cost savings and from the tests that we did DSP, at best, ends up with the same sound quality as the passive crossover. Since "distortions" are not a problem in the designs I don't see a need to fix them.

gedlee said:

Not at my prices they aren't.

Earl,

It was just an idea as they are a US manufacturer, and aren't that far from where you are. Their prices might be competitive (or better) in quantity. John and Nick might be willing to send you a sample for testing.

Variac said:

I know it sounds crazy, but reduced shipping charges can pay for the difference between ferrite and neo drivers..

I know it sounds crazy but maybe, if we just let Earl bring to market the kits he wants to bring to market as he is the expert on what he wants out of a loudspeaker, the results will be what they are supposed to be.

Best to all,

Chris

gedlee said:
5) Inductance modulation is a big issue when one takes the woofer as high as I do and I take this into consideration. Inductance modulation is the only loudspeaker distortion mechanism that is broadband and not displacement dependent - it happens with no displacement at all. If there is a nonlinearity in the loudspeaker that would be audible this is the one. Displacement distortion will always have a LF signal component and the upward spread of masking will thus tend to mask its effects. But a current distortion can happens with no masking signals at all.

At the moment I'm hanging out in a city where money grows on trees. I'm in Bend Oregon, which is something like Park City UT, or Palm Springs CA. Since there are a lot of people with money to burn here, there are two audiophile boutiques downtown. I visited both.

The first featured Martin Logan gear. Comparing this to the Summa isn't really a fair fight, but what the heck. The boutique was demoing one of those ubiquitous audiophile recordings of acoustic guitar. Which sounds delicate and lovely to the uninformed, but also masks the speaker's shortcomings. Namely, there's no bass and no high treble in a recording of acoustic guitar, and the imaging requirements are nil, since there's only one performer on stage.

The second was more interesting. They were demoing Anthony Gallo Acoustics. I've always found the Gallo speakers are a great alternative to Bose. The spherical enclosures reduce diffraction, and the driver quality is a step up. The drivers appear to be TangBand. I've heard the Gallos half a dozen times over the years, and was always pleasantly surprised by how good they sound. As crazy as this sounds, these $1500 speakers sound better than some of the $5K gear at CES.

First thing I noticed was that they're pleasant sounding, but there is TONS of 2nd harmonic distortion which I hadn't noticed before. After listening to the Summas for a few weeks, the sound of distortion is hard to miss. It's interesting because it's actually not that offensive, but it's definitely audible. The Gallos had a veil of distortion riding over everything. I'm guessing this is because the 3" woofers in the Gallos are suffering from distortion at high excursion?

So it's easy to see why they sell; they're attractive, easy to hide, and pleasant sounding. But the distortion is hard to miss, once you know what it sounds like.

Originally posted by gedlee 3) A copper cap on the center pole is the cheap method of shorting ring, but it robs BL and lowers inductance. Its worth doing on a CD where inductance matters a lot, but the wrong way to do a woofer.

I didn't even know there was a difference until yesterday! In a previous project I used the B&C 8NDL51, and I was astonished by how smooth and extended it's frequency response is. According to B&C's docs, the 6NDL38 uses a demodulation ring, while the 8NDL51 uses a copper cap. It's interesting to see that the 8NDL51 has higher BL. Of course this could be due to half a dozen factors.

Originally posted by gedlee 4) The TBX drivers have shorting rings not Copper caps (see http://www.bcspeakers.com/download/comparison/Design.pdf). I need to check on the Eminence drivers.

I checked their website, and it appears that Eminence isn't a big fan of shorting rings. In conversations online, I recall reading that Danley was considering having Adire build him a sub for the labsub for this reason. And Wayne Parham mentioned Eminence's stance on shorting rings here:

http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/19880.html

The only Eminence speakers with shorting rings which I could find are these:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/definimax-12ho.pdf
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/definimax-15lf.pdf

Some may recall the Magnum series, which is apparently discontinued:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-580

The price difference between B&C and Eminence is only a few percent, and I've had the same experience that you've had with B&C. Excellent build quality, and performance that's consistent with their specs. Vance Dickason has raved about them in Voice Coil for years also. (I wonder if Dickason has any interest in this stuff? According to Google Maps, Dickason's office is 6.3 miles from my house.)

Originally posted by gedlee 6) I also would be concerned with a smaller voice coil because of thermal compression - it will be greater. So the larger VC with a shorting ring looks attractive to me. The lowest cost woofer with these features is clearly what I want, B&C or otherwise. I only get dealer pricing on B&C and Eminence, so other drivers thus tend to be out of the picture. I would entertain any woofer that meets these minimum requirements if the price is lower than what I get from B&C and Eminence.

I have to admit, it's amazing to see how difficult it is to cut corners on this design.
- The arguments for a shorting ring are compelling, but there are only a handful of 12" drivers which feature one. The B&C 12TBX100, at a retail price of $250, fits the bill. Eminence offers a comparable model, but it's not significantly cheaper and it's performance is unknown.
- If you forego the shorting ring, there are literally dozens of woofers which will fit the bill. But the benefits of a shorting ring are hard to ignore. Also, excursion in the 12in model will be nearly double that of the Summa, due to the Summas greater displacement. The higher excursion exacerbates distortion.
- Seas, Peerless and Dayton make a number of attractive eight inch woofers with shorting rings in the motor. But these woofers have lower efficiency and less maxium output. For a truly strange project, one could use a quad of them to approximate the output of 16" woofer, but that introduces a whole new set of variables. And costs a lot too!

Trying to cut corners on this is exceptionally challenging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.