• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Grumpy_Git said:

Surely the whole point of Earls offer is the Waveguide?

Nick.

That is true, and I was going to mention it. There is little incentive for me to sell the non-value-added parts.

I have considered just selling the plans, but there is no way to control that and I would likely sell one set and then those would be spread all arround.

The waveguide and foam is where my value added, and profit, is and anyting that I do will have to contain those parts.

Brett said:
Patrick, thanks for the reviews and updates.

A few posts back you also mentioned the U15. Did you actually audition them as well? Just curious as I have an order in for some WG's and also have the opportunity to snaffle some U15's.

No. As ironic as this sounds, I've made a unity clone but I've never seen or heard one. I've bent over backwards to fix that, but it's never worked out. I tried to rent a Yorkville U15, but couldn't find one. I think I heard an SPL Unity at Club Ra in Las Vegas about ten years ago. I went there in November and they'd changed the name to Club LAX and ripped out the Unities :(

If anyone's interested, I'll be updating my project thread about the unities soon. Just yesterday I hooked up the new clones - this is my 2nd stab at a Unity. They're far from complete, but they're getting there ever so slowly.

paulspencer said:

I have a friend who is a home theatre installer. I've described the kit, and he is very interested for his own system. (Nathan x3, with everything but the box). He may be interested in more of them for his customers also later on.

What is the status of Nathan kits? Once payment is made, do you have an expected time they will be ready to ship? Rough estimate? Location Melbourne, Australia.

Paul

These speakers first came about for my own home theater (HT). I could not find a high efficiency speaker with audiophile quality. High efficiency in a HT is a must since effects can be a much higher SPL than we would ever want music at. And movies without the full audio effect are simply not effective. Add superb quality audio and you'll never go out to a film again (I haven't been to a commercial theater since I broke down and saw Star-Wars III at its opening with my son. I wish that I had waited to see the DVD here. The sound is a lot better!!!)

There simply were not any really good really high MaxSPL speakers avaialble at a reasonable price. So I designed and built them. Initially I had no intention of selling them, but, as the reviews will testify, they were so good that I could not help but consider it. This is the classic BAD business approach - a product in search of a market.

Anyways the Nathan, Abbey, Abbey+ are absolutely the best HT speakers available.

I will be shipping the kits within a week (barring more disasters). I have about three weeks of production to fill and then I can ship on new orders. I am negotiating with Thailand now about shipping directly out of there as that's about the only thing practicle to Australia. That could be a month or two away.

Please remember that you don't get in the cue until a deposit is made. So for you, a deposit now would get you the product in not more than two months and maybe less. I would ship them from here if it looks like it will be more than two months.

paulspencer said:
Earl,

What is the cost of the Abbey kit with everything but the box? (ie the 12" equivalent of the Nathan at $500)

I haven't worked out all the prices on the Abbey line yet, but I am guessing that it will be $900. Maybe a little lower, but not much.

Please remember that even for the Nathan I can't guarantee the quoted prices outside of the US because I don't know what the drivers will cost. I would guess that the prices in Australia will be quite a bit higher, but in Europe a little lower. I need to check on this with B&C.

gedlee said:

I haven't worked out all the prices on the Abbey line yet, but I am guessing that it will be $900. Maybe a little lower, but not much.

Please remember that even for the Nathan I can't guarantee the quoted prices outside of the US because I don't know what the drivers will cost. I would guess that the prices in Australia will be quite a bit higher, but in Europe a little lower. I need to check on this with B&C.

I'm so happy with my Summas, I'll probably get in on the DIY kits too. Yesterday I was working in the garage on my unities, so I hooked up an old line array that's been gathering dust for two years. It was SHOCKING how awful the line array sounds, now that I'm used to the Summas.

Anyways the Nathan, Abbey, Abbey+ are absolutely the best HT speakers available.

Please remember that you don't get in the cue until a deposit is made. So for you, a deposit now would get you the product in not more than two months and maybe less. I would ship them from here if it looks like it will be more than two months. [/B]

I'm confused. Does this mean you are taking deposits now on systems other than Nathan ? Thanks Mike A

Michael Ando said:

I'm confused. Does this mean you are taking deposits now on systems other than Nathan ? Thanks Mike A

Your quite correct, I'd feel more comfortable waiting to take deposits on the Abbeys until I am further along.

amiklos said:

Should we expect an e-mail requesting the balance of the payment for the kits?

I'm very excited, I was expecting these to be couple more months out, so this is a pleasant surprise.

I am at most a few weeks from shipping the bulk of the orders. These early kits may have a rough manual, but they will be complete.

I have to warn you guys that driver availability outside of the US is unknown. I have a dealer agreement with B&C in the US, but obviously I can't ship the drivers to EU or AUS from here. What kinds of prices I get from the distributors abroad is unknown. B&C is looking into this now. The local distributors do not have to sell to me and they can charge anything that they want. This is a big open issue for sales abroad at this point.

tinitus said:
DE250 cost 105EUR from BlueAran UK, and it would be like 164USD
I dont know which woofers are used
Around here some drivers may cost almost twice as much from ordinary suppliers

I use the 10PS26 for the Nathan and the 12TBX100 for the Abbey. What would those be?

If the price increase that you quote is what I would have to accept then the Nathan would go up about $170 and the Abbey by more than $200.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.