DIY Walsh driver revisited

Ah, the curse of our mobile society lashes out again. The older the car, the higher the likelihood it'll get deemed such, esp. with the way they're made with 'crumple zones'. That absorbs impact, but repairing such is impractical. But it's also why y'all didn't feel much, and I'm happy that you're unhurt....which is at the end of the day a good thing...

Enjoy the hybrid...*S* And you can't drive speakers to the store. ;)

We finally saw the need and the opportunity to buy a '12 Focus hatchback that had been totaled but repaired decently. Got a good deal...it has some 'warts' that'll need some TLC by our trusty and trusted mechanic, but it will allow us to not drive our diesel dually Constantly. With 2 adults and a pair of 50# dogs in a standard cab, it could be a little too cozy for some of the distance drives we have to do...

If given my druthers and an excess of disposable $, I'd like to get the '17 Fiesta R that'll hit the dealers shortly. But placing my tush in something that size that also has 350hp may not be the most intelligent choice to be pursued. Fun to contemplate, though....but growing up in L.A. I picked up some 'freeway moves' that are probably banned by the Geneva Conventions and civilized society in general. So everyone can remain calm for awhile...*L*...yet...;)

I grew up in LA, too.. . We ended up with a -16 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. We've been averaging 42 mpg, city/highway, so that part works. Its fast enough, handles better than expected, and is a comfortable cruizer.

Unlimited cash? Hm. Try a Caterham. 1200 pounds, and add 200 or more hp? Sounds like fun to me..... No, she doesn't like that idea. Funny, though, the Hyundai has an "Infinity" speaker system. Needs eq.

Just an update...still 'on install' in Lutz, FL. Hopefully departing in 3 weeks, escaping endless suburbia, heat, humidity, the near daily PM rain, 'combat traffic', and 'hotel cabin fever'.

A pleasant distraction has been the Speaker Exchange in Tampa. Was able to pick up some parts to 'r & r' the 2 Utah speakers I've had on the bench seemingly forever. If you can't fix your darlings, they certainly seem up to it. That, and the 'orphans' by the counters hoping for a new home....some JBL's, a 901v4 set, a Klipsch pair, and some pro music stuff, cheap. Probably for the $ SE put into them to fix whatever...

Tempting...but I can resist....*L*

Wax, Cochleus 'n I have considered a cone of that shape, wondering how it would respond vs. the 'standard' truncated cone. The suggested roaster rig begins to illustrate the shape and how difficult it would be make based on my/our current, um, 'technologies'. *G*

It's still an intriguing shape...I've thought that to create a proper 'master' of the shape one could have it done on a lathe or 3D printed. This would allow for some form of casting, vapor deposition, or carbon fibre.

I'm still investigating other means of forming the cone shapes and sizes I'm working with. I'd like to try slip rolling, but there's no 'off the shelf' machine that's capable of the small diameters I need at the apex of the cones. Much less the small thicknesses of the aluminum I'm working with. Been toying with making my own, cannibalizing rollers from defunct printers. I doubt there's much of a market for dinky cone making devices out there....*L*

....but I have heard that cooking chickens like that works....apparently better if one places a can of beer inside the cone and the chicken...;)

After way too long, have returned from FL leaving a happy client behind. Still some wayward ducks to align, t's to X and i's to . but great to be back with my little oddities at hand....

Hope to put some things in motion that have been 'back burnered' during my absence...although some sort of shoehorn may be required, I shall prevail...*G*

No place like....*S*

As for the back burners in the 'real world', too much to allow for any significant 'goof time' with the toys for the present, and a 'honey dew' list that extends into orbit so it seems...

I shall prevail...gotta be positive or sanity shatters. Wait a minute....that happened awhile back. Oh, well. Pick up the shards and stagger on....*G*

*G* Just a correction to the Punctuation of the 'response' to my byline, C...

If I'm going to continue to use English rather than learn to speak Canuck, I'd rather be semi-precise about it...since it's doubtful I'm moving to Canada. If I moved anywhere, it'd be back to CA since they voted for legalization. It'd be handy for the next 4 yrs. The only other option is hallucinogens, which would be a 'little' heavy-handed...;)

Not that I'm opening the cans of worms that will likely ruin Thanksgiving for many on this site. If y'all voted, Great. If you didn't, shut up. We all get to live with the results. And that's all that I'll say about anything regarding the subject on this site. It drifts off subject enough with my blather and b.s.

'Speaking' of which....

Doing some extremely early 'spring cleaning' of my workspace/audio 'playspace' with an eye to some reformulation of the layout of the 'how' and 'why' of my system. Between a multichannel amp and a receiver, two switching components, and 6 inputs (2 TT, 2 cass decks, 1 CD, 1 'puter) with an eq and xover to fit 'betwixt, sometimes things get complicated. And some new speaker cabling... And some labeling so I don't have to think so hard about WTF I did and how to make it work without a major feedback event....

I hate those.

At least I'm not working with chemicals or radioactive materials. I don't need the notoriety of leaving large holes in the neighborhood, dosing everyone within a given radius, or being swathed in bandages and the daily torture of a burn unit. That would suck.

Besides....I've got company coming. Got to look like I know what I'm doing. *LOL* That's a major effort of and by itself. ;)

Two mental milestones...

I've played about with EnABL'ing the main cones, and have come up with a routine on how to accomplish this relatively easily. Not so much with the smaller 'tweeter' cones...it'd be like doing brain surgery on a gnat...time for Plan B with those.

With regard to forming the cones, I've 'spoofed' a plan I ran into and downloaded awhile back for a slip roller. As small as it was, it still wasn't small enough with regard to it's roller diameters. Nor does it need to be as 'beefy' as I'm essentially needing to form 2 & 5 mil aluminum foils. Tweezers instead of pliers, to strike an analogy...

The problem was, and still is, 'spring back' of the material. The edges need to come together and overlay uniformly which is difficult to pull off hand forming them. If I can 'over roll' the cones slightly, I can minimize the aluminum's tendency to gap apart.

It'll be ridiculously dinky compared to a 'real' machine. But, if nobody makes one, one goes where one must. *G*

I've built a couple of Walsh type speakers and one of things I've learnt is that you should to use a driver that is intended for full range. Otherwise you risk ending up with speaker that only plays the lower range. The impedans curve is good indicator. The challenge is to find one with a voice coil close to 50 mm or 2 inch.

Freud, sorry for the 'long pause', been preoccupied...but since I'm not trying to recreate an 'F' I'd be only wagering a guess at best. If the specs of each are roughly alike, it would seem to be to be an adequate replacement. If you opt to go forward with the Dayton's, stay in touch. I'd like to 'hear' and see how it goes with your project. And good luck with the cones....the complexity involved made me shy away from going that way...

Sanda, agreed....my next version involves using a Pyle PPA6. Admittedly, an 'instrument' unit as opposed to one for 'music reproduction' but I wanted voice coils made for a certain level of 'abuse'. I've learned that heat is the nemesis due to the different dynamics placed on the coils. If I've 'lost' a driver, it's due to frying the coil...
That and they're sized to the cone size I'm using, a 1" dia. vs. 2".

I'm avoiding going 'full range' on purpose, backing away from the transition of the cone from radial to pistonic motion. It still exists to some degree, but I'm working on damping and waveform reflection from the termination of the cone at the surround.

It's a work in progress, like most things DIY...*L*

I've built a couple of Walsh type speakers and one of things I've learnt is that you should to use a driver that is intended for full range. Otherwise you risk ending up with speaker that only plays the lower range. The impedans curve is good indicator. The challenge is to find one with a voice coil close to 50 mm or 2 inch.

Hi - Are you able to elaborate further regarding your builds?

Ear, yeah, I'm all ears myself...(punishing pun intended, but only 'cause it's just too easy *LOL*)
Seriously, though...Since personally I'm staying away from a 'full range/full size' rendition of an A or a F Walsh driver due to the complexity of the cone, I'd like to hear of another's trials 'n travails in the quest. Setting up for a 2 or 3 segment cone is not for the faint of heart nor the impatient. Even the smaller cones I work with can be a real PIA, enough to narrow my focus to what it is...and my approached towards a solution.
Always up for taking notes...beats learning the hard way if someone else has already 'been there, did that', said 'Oh, well...' and opted for a beer or 3.... ;)