diy versus servo subs..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"""Rob,
Are you sure you want to committ yourself to such a high crossover point? I'd be experimenting with that for a while before deciding. Many people prefer to use subs for the bottom octave and perhaps slightly above, and let the mid and upper bass come from the main speakers. """

Hi Paul,

What I intend to do is run my mains and rears full range, using the sub channel as they do in theaters - purely as an effects channel. If this doesn't sound great then I can have a play with settings and see what I prefer. I'm also looking into 'house curves' for the sub channel.(a 3Db/oct boost starting at 100Hz and flattening around 30Hz)- I need to do more research on this though. I think I've got plenty of headroom as I don't watch films at reference levels.

I'm thinking about making a switch on my (active ) xo to cut the sub in for music below 30~40Hz when I'm listening in stereo. It all takes time though:)

This thread discusses the 1/2 wavelegth thing :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11533&highlight=

Cheers

Rob

Rob

I've spent so much time modelling enclosures for various drivers that I've got 'analysis parallysis'. I'd settled on around 3.5^3ft (.577 Q) for each enclosure but I may give the IB another go, I've just about got over the despondency of not liking where I mounted it last time and may have a go at mounting it at the front of the room this time, just worried about resonance, couldn't control it last time.

Paul

At the back of my mind I'm wondering if 4 Tempests in an isobaric configuration would have met my needs (smaller cabinet size). It didn't occur to me to try it before I parted with the Tempests!

Hi Gary,

Is it not possible to bring your front wall forwards a foot, and open the space behind into your loft ? - You'd have the IB and wall mounted speakers (no boxes) though you'd probably have to strengthen the rooms ceiling with ply or extra plasterboard to isolate the 2 spaces.

It'd be good to hear your project when it's finished.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob

That's a nice idea, with the benefit of hindsight I should have made the room longer and that would be a winner. I'm a bit too close to the screen as it is so I wouldn't want to lose the space. However, the room doesn't use all of the garage space, there is about 4ft behind the rear wall to the garage doors so I could swap the room round and have the IB in the rear wall, you've certainly given me something to think about now. Main problem is that the room was designed around the kit being along the front wall, there are something like 20 electrical sockets of various types on that wall and nothing on the rear wall. It's starting to sound expensive!

The tempest would probably have more output than most of them, and thus when they are pushed, the Tempest would have some extra headroom, which comes in handy when you eq a sealed sub to 20 Hz or lower. I'm not sure how the Tempest would perform against some of the better servo controlled subs. I expect the distortion of the Tempest to be perhaps a little higer. But I am talking about subs that would cost 3 - 5 times as much as a DIY tempest.

There is a DIY sub that has been measured and performed with lower distortion than a velodyne. It was built with the Peerless XLS driver and designed for low distortion:

Critical Q subwoofer

Critical Q subwoofer - distortion measurements

This is actually the best documented DIY sub that I have ever seen.

regards,
Paul

Update of sorts. :D

Thought I'd drop in a pic of the subs in room. There is some black material on order, which will drop from the bottom of the screen (seen on the right here - will go in front of subs) to the floor.

Also there will be curtains from the ceiling to floor behind the mains to give a black 'screen wall' - yep I know the mains aren't finished yet.

Performance ?

I'm very pleased - eq'd flat to approx 18Hz and powered by a pair jbl6260 pro amps (300watts into 4 ohms) each driver has its own channel (parralleled voice coils) - 1 channel free for upgrades :)

I've set up my system with a spl meter to reference level (85dB @ -20 test tone) using avia, and played all the usual 'sub killers' at reference with no trouble. inc toy story2, the haunting, finding nemo, u-571, etc..

So I am very happy.

A big thankyou to all the people here for their interest and input into this project. You guys are cool:cool:

Will post some response plots soon (still got loads to do in my room..)

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• tempestsxx.jpg
    tempestsxx.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 238
Haha,

Thought I'd resurrect this thread :D

I've just heard a friend of mines new setup which includes a Martin Logan descent with Martin Logan mains.......Krell pre's and powers..

Lets just say the tempests may do the volumes, but the quality...:eek:

My friends setup is the best I've ever heard for music - absolutely beautiful.. Who'd have thought that 3 x 10" could kill 3 x 15's for sound quality ?

I used to prefer my setup when I used my mains (2x 10" scanspeaks per side) down to 40Hz, which makes sense considering the quality difference between the s-speaks and tempests, but prefered using the subs up to 80 with films - better dynamics..

I've just started cutting the panels for a pair of labhorns (I'm cutting for 4 but will only be using 2 at the moment)

Lets hope these give the descent some competition... (will still use the tempests below 30Hz...)

This diy stuff never stops does it ? :D

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.