DIY Thiele/Small measurements ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have ordered some Supravox 165GMF drivers, am waiting for them, and already have the data about them (Supravox gives a personal T/S parameters sheet with each driver).

The problem is that the params are quite far from the published ones (http://www.supravox.fr/haut_parleurs/165_GMF.htm) :

Driver 1
Fr : 78,48
Vas : 27,4
Qms : 7,167
Qes : 0,488
Qts : 0,457
Re : 5,5
Sd : 165
Bl : 5,6543
Mms : 5,7500

I modelled the enclosure again and it definetely affects the tuning.

I suppose (I hope) that this difference is mainly explained by a lack of break-in :

So, I plan to measure the T/S after the drivers are broken in.

I did a lot of search on the forum & the web and found that I need several things :

- a microphone, which I have
- a soundcard, which I have
- a mass to add on the driver, which I don't have
- a sealed box which I can build
- a software which I don't have

So I ask you, experienced DIYers :smash: , what you suggest me concerning :

- the mass : I can get a 0.01g precision at school, but don't know which mass I should add. Any suggestion ?

- the software : I found sample champion and Praxis, both are not free and Praxis needs quite boring cables. Do you know a good freeware program that could do the same ?

- the box : should it rather be a sealed enclosure of a given size, or a kind of open baffle ?

Any suggestion welcome !

As far as mass blue-tack (fun-tack, sticky-tack) works, and is easy to add and remove from the cone. I'm not sure about your question for the box, what are you measuring using the box? Not Vas I assume. If this is for accustical measurements, I would just get all your T/S parameters, model and build your box, then do accustical measurements in that. Or maybe the box is for getting the T/S parameters, in which case open baffle is fine. Really anything to hold the driver off of the ground is fine.
Joe

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ergo said:
Without hardware it works in freeware mode but has a full T/S parameter measurement / calculation regime available./QUOTE]

Have you actually gotten it to work. I've been talking to some people with the full-blown version and they are having (were having?) a hard time getting it to work.

FuzzMeasure is using a method based on the manual method, but curve-fitting is in the works.

dave

I looked at Praxis again, it seems to have nice T/S measurements. It isn't an easy soft to use but has many possibilities.

I'll try to play arround with it when I have more time, and when I have a 0.01gr precision instrument in my hands :D

I went on Fuzzmeasure website but the download doesn't work.
Talking about this, what additional worksheet do you use with it ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
youyoung21147 said:
I went on Fuzzmeasure website but the download doesn't work.
Talking about this, what additional worksheet do you use with it ?

Chris will be interested that you failed to download it... can you try again and let me know, Note: that to use FuzzMeasure you have to be running OS X and given that you are trying out Praxis, my guess is that you aren;t.

I've attached the spreadsheet, which i downloaded & modified for my use from "Best ever TS parameter calc.xls" (i measure reams of drivers). Hopefully it is self-explanitory (only calculates using the added mass method)

dave

Attachments

• ts-param-calc-fm.xls.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 164
Dave,
thanks so much for sharing your worksheet. After reading your ealier post I thought about making my own spread sheet, unfortunatly inertia was against me:rolleyes: . I had always done the calculations with a calculator, which was a real pain with all the conversions and what not. I always had to calculate it at least twice to make sure I had not messed anything up.
Thanks
Joe

planet10 said:
FuzzMeasure is using a method based on the manual method, but curve-fitting is in the works.

If you guys are interested, you can find more details of my curve fitting work here:

http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/FuzzMeasure/perfect_fit.html

It's a pain to implement, but now that I have it working, it's only a matter of time before it hits the final product.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.