DIY Stainless Steel Record Clamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to replace my stock VPI Delrin record clamp with a DIY custom clamp made of polished 316 stainless steel with knurled grip on the top piece. The new clamp is the same approximate size and shape, but weighs almost 6x as much (26 oz vs 4½ oz for the Delrin clamp).

The clamp consists of 2 pcs: Base plate and adjustment knob. The knob is held in place within the base plate via a 1/2" outside snap ring (also stainless) that I found at the local hardware store. The clamp screws down onto the platter center spindle via 1/4-20 NC threads. This fits a VPI threaded spindle; not sure what other tables it will work with.

Attached are the 3D CAD drawings if anyone wishes to produce their own. The knurling on the top knob is not specified in the CAD files; you will need to have that conversation with your machine shop if you make your own. You will also want to clean out the threaded hole using a bunch of Q-tips, as mine had quite a bit of metal filings trapped within. I kept cleaning until the cotton swab came out free of oil and any chips, then cleaned with a couple more.

I also have 2 pcs available for sale (the machine shop would only make a minimum of 5 pcs) for $175 each (my cost). PM me if interested.

Attachments

• Delrin Clamp.JPG
    Delrin Clamp.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 519
  • Stainless Clamp.JPG
    Stainless Clamp.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 491
  • Record Clamp.zip
    30 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
This is what I did to my Audio Technica AT618 clamp. I increased the weight from stock 600gram to 800 gram by slapping on a precision machined stainless steel disc of the same diameter to total 800 gram. I compared this with an original HRX clamp (borrowed for comparison). I use this all the time on my VPI.

Attachments

• 20180126_150625-horz.jpg
    20180126_150625-horz.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 458
That's pretty sweet! Pity I don't have the threaded spindle on my Scout Jr, or I'd seriously consider grabbing one of your extras. Have you noticed any audible difference between your all SS clamp and the VPI clamp? I've read many positive things about the SS & Delrin clamp vs all-Delrin, so I wonder how the all-SS might perform. I also wonder if it would be a better match for the acrylic platter than the newer aluminum one. Nice work, man!

Quite nice Pyramid,
I've played around and made a few without any real design goals. These have a delrin insert at the spindle. I did notice an improvement on sound over the lightweight Oracle weight.
I'm working on a more stylish design that will still incorporate the delrin insert.
Cheers,
Gregory

Attachments

• Record weight Oracle.jpg
    Record weight Oracle.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 377
  • record weight.jpg
    record weight.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 373
  • Red Rega with weight.jpg
    Red Rega with weight.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 193
Pyramid,
How do I pm you?
Your new clamp might work for me, but I need to be sure. Please see my photo and post on the VPIforum.com site. It’s in the folder Harry’s Corner, Topic, Prime Clamping Post.
Does your design solve my question? If so I’m interested. If it doesn’t do you have a suggestion? Can you post a photo of the underside of your clamp, please?
Sincerely,
JohndotAmes@utexas.edu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.