DIY Speaker Stands. Please post!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something that might be worth trying

First, I will mention that I epoxied "T Nuts" into the speaker cabinets so that bolts could be run up through the upper MDF bases after they are bolted to the steel plates in the tubes. Anyway, now to the point:

I often see corrugated stainless steel tubing at the scrapyard in diameters up to 6" or so. It kinda looks like that muffler tubing you can buy that is easy to bend. In SS it looks really cool, the corrugations are very even and regular, and it is pretty shiny. Sometimes it is wrapped with SS braiding, wich might look pretty interesting. If one were to find a couple pieces long enough for stands, it could be filled with sand or something and welded shut. The corrugations should add strength and MAY do something good re: the resonant freq. An easier way to fill stand tubes might be to find a sympathetic roofing contractor, buy him some beer or something, then have him fill the tubes with tar while he is doing a hot tar roofing job.

Had to edit some typos - my keyboard sticks because my cat spilled a pint of ale into it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.