DIY sota armboard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I just got hold of an older Sota Star turntable. The only problem is that it came with an SME armboard. I need a Rega. Any ideas on making my own, or is this a case where I shouldn't be cheapskate and should shell out the $200 for an OEM composite armboard?

Thanks,

Greg Grimes

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why not just make your own?
I owned a SOTA a few years back and made my own armboards out of 3/4 inch MDF (19mm for metric fans). The stock armboard is thinner at about 10mm, so something like 1/2" material would be a bit better. To tune the sound you can even experiment with different hardwoods.
I just traced the original armboard on the new piece of wood and cut with a jigsaw. A bit of sanding and drilling for the mounting holes was all that was needed to be read to go.
I still have an extra homebuilt 3/4" armboard sitting around someplace if it would be of any interest
---Gary

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gabriel,
The standard SOTA armboard is 10mm thick.
The DIY armboard that I built using MDF was 19mm thick. At the time, I was using a Grado tonearm that had lots of room for VTA adjustment, so the extra 9mm height was not an issue. I've never used a Rega tonearm, so I don't know if the extra height would be a problem but your message seems to imply it would be.
---Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.