DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Unless you are comfortable with re-biasing the output stage of your amp, the best voltage would be 36V. These were delivered with Sony VFETs that were biased to run with the included SMPS brick. There is little to be gained by adding a couple extra volts to the supply.

The case runs warm, but not hot with the default voltage and bias. Switching to a linear supply may offer better performance, but only if you are willing to provide some better separation of power between the two channels. Dual-mono can be a good way to go, or separate banks of capacitors for each channel can help as well.

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I see no compelling reason to change the PSU in a lottery Vfet. (Aside from playing around just to play around, which is fun.) If you do make some kind of different supply, keeping it at the design voltage of 36V would be strongly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks!

There are limits to any piece of gear, I believe.

I was hoping to pull a bit more out of the amp. Aside from the end result, there is always the benefit of trying something and then learning from doing a direct comparison.

I’ve had a few projects where I really wanted a change to make a difference for the better, but that’s not always the case…

P

There is a simple thing that you can try. Add a 1000uF capacitor to the power rail on each channel. That was my first tweak to the DIY Sony VFET, pt 1. The brick SMPS handles this easily. This begins to offer better stereo separation through some independence of power supply per channel.

If this tweak sounds good, it may be a start to building a linear supply for your amp.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
There's a PCB project here on the Forums which provides two linear voltage regulators (one per channel) for VFET and Theseus amplifiers. It's called "Tuba". The board includes an LRC filter to remove SMPS HF noise (prior to regulation), followed by a pair of 5 ampere voltage regulator ICs, the ST Microelectronics LD1084. These remove noise at DC and below-SMPS frequencies. Just the ticket for those who demand flat FFT curves with no blippity glivvets at f_mains and 2xf_mains.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't lose sight of the fact that most of the magic of this amp comes from the SONY VFETs themselves as implemented in Nelson's design. Experimenting can be fun. However at some point you are faced with the law of diminishing returns when it comes to sound quality, in some cases very soon.

Reactions: 2 users