DIY Schumann resonator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does your phone search for human?

Attachments

• shu.jpg
    shu.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 952
So what is this magical feeling that I'm supposed to be sensing?

I threw together one of these voodoo spirals out of ~75 feet of 28AWG magnet wire. I followed one of Teslas diagrams I found online.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My motivation?..... sheer boredom (out of work sick this whole week).

Anyway, I hooked this coil up to my GW Instek frequency generator. I set the frequency to 7.83Hz and proceeded to play around with square, triangle, and sine waves.

Can't say I noticed anything special happening, besides a strange tingling in my finger tips (probably just the after effect of manually making a voodoo coil though).

:wiz:

Well I can't wrap my head around this configuration (that's just me) I start the coil in the centre with the middle of the wire length folded in half and wind out so there are two leads at the outside of the coil. What you do or don't feel is up to you I guess. There may be different thresholds for different people. Have you tried listening to music on your system with the device switched on and off? This is not a woop up side the head kind of thing it is subtle but everyone that I know (that has heard one of these devices) short of one person has noticed the effect even those who were totally skeptical about it.
I just built another coil that is oblong and about half as big again as the last one as it seems that my four inch coil has found a new home. I also plan to wind a standard cylindrical inductor coil so I can experiment with magnetic fields as opposed to scalar ones. try leaving it switched on running for a few days and see if you notice anything. Nobody said that this would work for everyone. Glad you have given it a try though that I think was the purpose of this thread. Get well soon, who knows that may be impacting your perception of the device? I bet if you leave it turned on you will be totally well in 2 -3 days, Hah.

theAnonymous1:
You have to tie the parallel ends of the coil together to make it work in the schumann resonator. Tesla's diagram shows series connection and it should be parallel for the schumann.

moray:
you should have disconnect one end of the coil and give the device to the friend for a listen. IMO that would be more valuable test. ;)

Have you tried listening to music on your system with the device switched on and off?

I'm one of those wackos that think all film caps sound the same, so that would be a pointless test.

theAnonymous1:
You have to tie the parallel ends of the coil together to make it work in the schumann resonator. Tesla's diagram shows series connection and it should be parallel for the schumann.

It doesn't seem to make a difference (that I can perceive).

I'm going to put a power amplifier between the generator and the coil to see if I can disrupt the balance of the universe.

The coil is ~5R; I'll see how much "Shumann Power" it can take before it starts to melt things.

I hooked the coil up to a small amplifier and put a 7.83Hz WAV file on my portable player.

The coil is being driven with roughly 4W of power and it is noticeably warm to the touch. The heat is about the only thing I can tell that's being radiated by this thing.

Here is a picture of my test setup....

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 922
An excellent point. To my ears the difference is similar to a difference between caps and as often is the case with caps there is no clear winner. I still find it fascinating that there is any audible effect at all.

To my wallet there is always a clear winner when it comes to caps. ;)

Ah well, I'm a skeptic at heart anyway. Just thought I would play along with the enlightened for a bit.

De omnibus dubitandum

Do you have access to a scope? it would be interesting to know what the wave form looked like at the coil with and without the small amp that you used. I am curious to know if there is any deformation of the wave when the oscillator is connected directly to the coil, if so does the distortion go away when you insert the amp between the oscillator and the coil?

I hooked the coil up to a small amplifier and put a 7.83Hz WAV file on my portable player.

The coil is being driven with roughly 4W of power and it is noticeably warm to the touch. The heat is about the only thing I can tell that's being radiated by this thing.

Here is a picture of my test setup....

Probably the problem is with your cables.Try with an audiophile pair:p

Hello Moray,
...I also plan to wind a standard cylindrical inductor coil so I can experiment with magnetic fields as opposed to scalar ones. try leaving it switched on running for a few days and see if you notice anything....
Did you have time to perform your test? (comparing scalar and non scalar inductor). The result might be interesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.