DIY progress report

Variac said:
Actually buying a copy might encourage them to stay in business....and to solicit articles from the likes of Nelson...

It is available at the really comprehensive magazine stores..

This is a new age: Perhaps they should consider publishing an ezine and passing the savings on to the consumer?

I use to subscribe to This Old House (to keep them in business) and discovered that I rarely read them, where as, if they were stored online (like DIY Audio), I could read any article whenever the mood struck. Now I have a pile of magazines taking up space and collecting dust.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a 35 year relationshiip with Audio Amateur, and I do think
that the magazine provides a valuable service and needs to
be supported. For this reason I have a series of articles intended
for them which will be published on line significantly after their
appearance in print, and I do this to encourage people to buy
AudioXpress. I might add that I have refused payment for the
articles for many years.

At the same time I have some stuff that will appear here first.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:

This is a new age: Perhaps they should consider publishing an ezine and passing the savings on to the consumer?

I use to subscribe to This Old House (to keep them in business) and discovered that I rarely read them, where as, if they were stored online (like DIY Audio), I could read any article whenever the mood struck. Now I have a pile of magazines taking up space and collecting dust.

even if I cherish e-net because of all things possible , amongst others - to hangin' with crazy bunch ......... gimme dusty paper - all the time

I have mucho PC hours every day , before my nightly "food for thought" hours .......... so - I'm not so desperate to read on screen

this days I'm thinkin' about second screen , two Gcards in one case ... or one dual head ;

makes life easier .....

besides - just to mention Sound Practices ; one of most enjoyable 'zines I have ; even if I payed fat for xeroxes ........ not for origigi issues - life was better few yrs tnx to nothing else than 14 issues I have then ;

good 'zine is a dream , and I always pay gladly for more dreaming , even if I'm cheapskate

:rofl:

edit :

I can't smell what's on screen ...... but I can smell toob on paper

:devily:

Just so you don't think I'm a total Scrooge, I own: Audio Amateur Power Amp Projects--Twenty-six articles on Power Amplifier Projects appearing in Audio Amateur Magazine from 1970-1989; copyright 1996.

I didn't know of Nelson Pass back then. I was gleaning through this publication last night and was delighted to see Nelson's A-40 and Mosfet Citation 12 article. My endeavour was to read about the various tube amps of the day--instead, I had a pleasant stroll down memory lane...:)

I'm the type of consumer who purchases compilations--the cream of the crop articles. This is how I would prefer to support AudioXpress. If they have this type of publication, I'm a potential buyer.

Well just to add another post on the them, I had AA, SB and GA starting from Numero Uno till 94 I think.

My first Zen was running 30 days after I received that original AA issue back in 1993? I guess so.

Also I think I still have those few (originals) Sound Practices issues starting also from the first issue where the WE 300B was redisplayed... nice era with lost of excitement.
:cool:

I just emailed AudioXpress and presented the idea of an ezine publication at newsstand prices. I would be happy to support their endeavor in this manner. I just can't handle having any more magazines stacking up around my house.

Honestly, I vacuumed, rearranged and shelved 1000 books for my sweetie last week. This week, I rearranged my library (mine's much more pruned down than hers).

Pdf files in an AudioXpress folder on my computer desktop is what I prefer. I can then convert to CD for back-up.

Like I said: it's a new age. :)

There's something about holding a printed magazine in my hands that can't be duplicated using the Internet. Even though sites such as diyAudio now provide me with more information than AudioXpress, I plan to keep my subscription as long as I can. Part of it as well, as with Nelson, is that my relationship with the magazine goes back a long ways; it has always inspired me to keep active in my hobby. I'm always excited when it arrives in my mailbox, and now I'm really looking forward to the F5 issue. Even if it arrives online first.

paulb said:
There's something about holding a printed magazine in my hands that can't be duplicated using the Internet. Even though sites such as diyAudio now provide me with more information than AudioXpress, I plan to keep my subscription as long as I can. Part of it as well, as with Nelson, is that my relationship with the magazine goes back a long ways; it has always inspired me to keep active in my hobby. I'm always excited when it arrives in my mailbox, and now I'm really looking forward to the F5 issue. Even if it arrives online first.

There's the rub--your relationship goes back a long ways. As far back as I can remember, I've generally purchased books--how to DIY--that kind of thing. Today, I'm in the mood for a newer type of relationship: monthly PDFs...

Zen Mod said:

you say that already , and I didn't think that , anyway ..........

but you can't convince me that you aren't Woodie

:clown:

Woodie as in thick skulled, or as in Biggess-Dickess (from Monty Python fame, of course). :D :D :D

Woodles,

my dust collection stacks >+1K, but nearly each time i wish to find something i know where and what page, apart from signatured papers by famous audio few.
Doesn't seem to work with PDfs for me, i loose track no matter whether they're on hard or compact disc.
Reading a paper print-out tops scrolling every time, but xerox still does not have the touch and smell of real paper.

From the Water Warrior : It's paper. Have you ever seen paper ?
(for famous French transatlantic race boaty lovers : here )

Attachments

• penduick.jpg
    penduick.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 552
jacco vermeulen said:
Woodles,

my dust collection stacks >+1K, but nearly each time i wish to find something i know where and what page, apart from signatured papers by famous audio few.
Doesn't seem to work with PDfs for me, i loose track no matter whether they're on hard or compact disc.
Reading a paper print-out tops scrolling every time, but xerox still does not have the touch and smell of real paper.

From the Water Warrior : It's paper. Have you ever seen paper ?
(for famous French transatlantic race boaty lovers : here )

Sounds like you, too, have an excellent collection--I'm almost envious. :) If I need to take a tutorial to my workbench, I print it. If someone has an excellent web page, I copy it and paste it to Word. That way, if it ever drops off the map, I have the original.

I guess I treat my desktop much the same way you do your mags. I have dozens of folders from the members of this forum, each loaded with ideas, comments, etc. Sourcing information is quite easy...

Well, I just received a response: seems that AudioXpress has considered the PDF option, but hasn't opened the door yet.... Someday.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pass Labs and my email account are still down after 48 hours,
apparently having been hacked. Network Solutions (big company,
long todo list) only promises 72 hour response, so it will probably
be another day yet.

In the meantime, I've discovered how it is that I used to get so much done.

Nelson Pass said:
Pass Labs and my email account are still down after 48 hours,
apparently having been hacked. Network Solutions (big company,
long todo list) only promises 72 hour response, so it will probably
be another day yet.

In the meantime, I've discovered how it is that I used to get so much done.

So sorry to hear of your situation.:( Hackers, you say? I'll be damned......:mad: