DIY progress report

DIY amp & loudspeakers

Here is a simple question for advise

I'm using a A40 (with some problems, but when it works I very much appreciate the sound).

First question
In the Firstwatt serie which model would be close (not identical) in the firmness and precision of the sound F2 / F3 ?

Second question (bit more complicated)
Next DIY loudspeakers will be a four ways based on fostex drivers (plan attached) at about 100db 1w/1m. Idea would be 4 way amplification. Now the question: suppose I use the Firstwatt. What would be advisable : four F3, four F2 (interesting the current drive for the speed) ? A mix of both (F2 for tweeter an high medium, and F3 for the bass and bass medium ?)

Any advise / comments are more than welcome
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• loudspeaker4ways.jpg
    loudspeaker4ways.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 897
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: DIY amp & loudspeakers

herodote said:
In the Firstwatt serie which model would be close (not identical) in the firmness and precision of the sound F2 / F3 ?

Next DIY loudspeakers will be a four ways based on fostex drivers (plan attached) at about 100db 1w/1m. Idea would be 4 way amplification. Now the question: suppose I use the Firstwatt. What would be advisable : four F3, four F2 (interesting the current drive for the speed) ? A mix of both (F2 for tweeter an high medium, and F3 for the bass and bass medium ?)

1) Neither. Both amplifiers are too different from the F1/F2 that
I don't think I can make that comparison for you.

2) I don't know. The F3 is the best all-round amplifier, but an
F1 will pump up the bottom typically, and the F2 is the fastest
thing I have on the top.

Four way speaker driven by Firstwatt

Quote N. Pass
2) I don't know. The F3 is the best all-round amplifier, but an
F1 will pump up the bottom typically, and the F2 is the fastest
thing I have on the top.
Unquote

What would you set up for a four ways - just interesting to know. [no liability issues there... ;-) ] Pure matter of interest. You know your creations. Would it be wise to take some F1 / F2 for the bottom and F3 for medium high and high ? Just a pure matter of curiosity.

2) I don't know. The F3 is the best all-round amplifier, but an F1 will pump up the bottom typically, and the F2 is the fastest thing I have on the top.
I read it from left to right, then from right to left, and back again from left to right. I still don't know which one is better than the other :D Seems like FirstWatt is really intended as a collector item, have to buy all of the series :D

Buy all you can eat

Quote Nelson Pass
I think you buy all the First Watt amplifiers you can afford.
Unquote

The issue was not so much to know which one is better, this is a matter of subjective taste and anyway F1 and F2 have a lot of THD compared to other models / brands.

What interested me was if you would consider that one model fits slightly better for this of that type of frequency range.

I understood from your answer F1 seem better driving the bass. I was wondering how about bass medium, medium and high.

From what I caught something like
F1 bass 20 - 200Hz
F2 (or F3 warmth) for bass medium and medium
F2 (fast) for tweeter (5khz - 35khz )

Only to understand the sonic caracteristics of each amps.
Additional comments will be helpfull and appreciated, but thanks anyway.

F1, F2, F3

F1 and F2 have a lot of THD compared to other models / brands.
Unquote
Thanks Mr Pass, that was a silly comments from my side, apologies. Indeed the interest of Firstwatt is to - as stated - to do something completely different.

Having no possibilities to listen to them but beeing interested by the approach and philosophy of firstwatt and considering to purchase 4 models to feed 1 driver each, I'm somehow interested to read / gather information about their sonic personalities; to see if one model would be best be suited for the bass (for example), another one to drive the tweeter, etc.

I acknowledge this may be difficult to state like that, or that is at least what I understand from you comment. Articles are very few, some are interesting (those on your web site) from that point of view. Regards