DIY progress report

My last guess on this will be that it might be a DAC or I/V stage for DAC since the Pearl 2 is now complete.

I feel like a bloody kid at christmas everytime Nelson announces news about some new project. I don't get that feeling very often these days.
Thanks Nelson

Last edited:
Thanks Tea-Bag,
Finally located all that info on your Blog site (problem with living upside down!) - nicely done.

The SJDP120R085 is a depletion JFET like the LU1014, and more available, and can take more voltage and current.
I've had a few people ask me about retrofitting them into an Z9, F3 type clone. Of course I am not knowing the best method here. I think removing the cascode mosfet would be in in order.

Interesting idea - a bit of the "Burning Amp" concept?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought this was going to be the Nemesis, with an output transformer, but have not seen anymore about it.

The "Arch Nemesis" project/article was completed for
Jan Didden's Linear Audio magazine at the end of May. This
should be out very shortly.

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it, as it examines performance
for different transistors, including the depletion mode parts.

:cool:

The SJDP120R085 is a depletion JFET like the LU1014, and more available, and can take more voltage and current.
I've had a few people ask me about retrofitting them into an Z9, F3 type clone. Of course I am not knowing the best method here. I think removing the cascode mosfet would be in in order.

Probably, but I remember the cascode was used not only for sharing the load but tweaked to actually improve the performance of the amp. Some sort of modulated cascode which I know nothing about.
So even though the cascode probably isn't required, it might still prove beneficial if tweaked in the same manner.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The "Arch Nemesis" project/article was completed for
Jan Didden's Linear Audio magazine at the end of May. This
should be out very shortly.

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it, as it examines performance
for different transistors, including the depletion mode parts.

I often quote myself, as I find it adds spice to my conversation...

Speaking of the devil, Jan's magazine has launched:

Linear Audio | your tech audio resource

:cool: