DIY or 'Mod-able' Amp Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a budget friendly amp to either build or buy and mod.

My current system is Fiio X3 > Coax > Schiit Mimby > Sansui 5000x > Klipsch Heresy I

The amp will be replacing my 5000x while I do work on it. If I have to get or build a preamp I'm open to that.

If going DIY, I'd like something with a PCB and would be relatively noob friendly. I really liked the looks of Hiraga kits but don't know if all the parts are still easy to get and I don't know about what power supply to use with it. I'm sure with some help from forum members I could figure it out.

I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks!

I'm super interested in the Honey Badger. I like the idea of having an amp that could drive more inefficient speakers (I want to build finalists super bad but disregard that for this) in the future. One question I have is am I going to have an issue with hiss or anything with my Heresys? Can the HB be dead silent for them?

This one's a digital amp (or power DAC) which is cheap, looks nice and so long as you don't need too much power delivers a very high quality sound after modding. Comes with power supply but I've been using my bench supply to get more output voltage swing....

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.51.0oVB6W&id=19260362926&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

That thing is pretty cool, I might have to grab one of those just to have around! If one could throw a headphone jack on it that's all I need for my PC setup :D

A lot of people modify the lepai lp-2020 it's all over the internet

That's something I do notice, I've actually had a 2020 and enjoyed it quite a bit, blew it up before I had the chance to mod.

At this point, I'm actually kind of thinking - buy a 2020 again, if I mod it, do it in little spurts as to minimize downtime - but also start building a honey badger. If the HB can be quiet with my Heresys but have power for the day I have power hoggish speakers (relatively), from what it looks like the HB could be my end-game solution, or at least have a solid seat in my main system.

That thing is pretty cool, I might have to grab one of those just to have around! If one could throw a headphone jack on it that's all I need for my PC setup :D

You'll need output transformers to use with 3-wire headphones (the normal kind) as the amp's outputs are bridged. I modded one (I now have several) with the transformers inside, I re-purposed the analog inputs as outputs rather than drilling a front panel hole. I plan to start a thread about different variations on them sometime. Check out my blog in the meantime if you do buy one as I've found a fault in the design which isn't hard to correct.

Save

That's something I do notice, I've actually had a 2020 and enjoyed it quite a bit, blew it up before I had the chance to mod.

At this point, I'm actually kind of thinking - buy a 2020 again, if I mod it, do it in little spurts as to minimize downtime - but also start building a honey badger. If the HB can be quiet with my Heresys but have power for the day I have power hoggish speakers (relatively), from what it looks like the HB could be my end-game solution, or at least have a solid seat in my main system.

Tripath Chip amps Were decent for the price.
But Tripath has been gone for a decade
Any claimed Tripath chips are Cheap/Crap clones.. bad quality sounds and almost instant death are the norm.

Tripath Chip amps Were decent for the price.
But Tripath has been gone for a decade
Any claimed Tripath chips are Cheap/Crap clones.. bad quality sounds and almost instant death are the norm.

Yeah, as enticing as those things sound as they pop up via google searches - I'm trying to avoid that. The keywords like "were" are what I'd like to dodge, so far nothing too dated coming up about the Honey Badger.

Still might pick up a 2020, they're cheap and I can plug it in and have music at the end of the day. Either way though, Honey Badger comin'. Still open to suggestions!

You do not need honey badger wattage for klipsch horns. Finalists, maybe. It depends on how long you are going to keep the amp around.

I'd do a pass f-series (F5 is most well documented). One of the keys to frequent diy is having a big chassis you can use for many projects. Starting with a f5 or f6 accomplishes this.

You do not need honey badger wattage for klipsch horns. Finalists, maybe. It depends on how long you are going to keep the amp around.

I'd do a pass f-series (F5 is most well documented). One of the keys to frequent diy is having a big chassis you can use for many projects. Starting with a f5 or f6 accomplishes this.

Links please! I did make mention that if I built a honey badger it'd be my 'first end-game' piece and I'd hold on to it for a good long time, at least until I built (or got super rich and bought) something "better". If the honey badger could quietly drive my Heresys, I'm still down, but this F5 intrigues me, please, indulge me!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-store/227933-diyaudio-f5-build-guide.html

6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F5

The Honey Badger will likely drive the Heresys with no noise. It's not an issue. The issue is do you want Class A, Class AB w/more power, tubes, etc...

It seems like a waste to drive a really sensitive speaker with a big wattage class AB amp when you could get by with 5 or 20 watts and enjoy all the advantages that the lower power gets you when you are not designing for high wattage (Class A, etc).

The F5 thread on diyaudio is probably the longest thread here and it's probably the most diy-ed amplifier of all time. It fits the power range you need and sounds excellent. It's limitations are power (it's 25w) and the ability to drive sub 4 ohm loads. But you won't care about that with Heresys. Sound quality is subjective but it's objectively up there with the best if you like it's presentation.

The other amps I would look at are the F6, Aleph J and JLH amps. The F-series amps have PCBs and build guides available here.

What sounds the best? I don't know, I haven't heard them all.

If you want cheap and easy a tripath amp or the newer class D stuff gets you 90% there for $20.

If you want something to drive 85db 3 ways eventually I'd look at the Honey Badger...The F5 will do it but not at loud levels. I run a 25W F5 into 89db 3 ways and have no complaints but I don't listen super loud.

There are ways to get more wattage (100 watts) out of the F5 but it's not exactly a first build project.

The F5 is fantastic
but there are a few decisions to make at the planning stage.
The bigger the mains transformer, the further that you can push things later. 400va min
You can use the plain F5 boards with one pair of output devices, or get the F5T boards that allow upscaling.
Everything will fit into a 4U case but if you want to go turbo then best to start with a 5U.

Check out the VHex amplifier. Virtual Zero Audio - power amplifier products I'm driving a pair of Chorus with one right now. Klipsch speakers are very sensitive, but at the same time they need some voltage to drive the horns if you want the high frequency detail. I would recommend a minimum of a fast 100W amplifier to bring them to life.

Those look pretty sweet! I think I need to re-prioritize. I'm finding lots of designs and kits that I want to try out. I'm starting to feel like my first project this time around should be building a power supply. Am I right in thinking I could build a power supply that could be used across many different projects?

Power supplies can be pretty standard. More complex design amplifiers normally don't require as much filtering in the power supply as a simple amp will. One thing to look into early is protection systems. It's not a good idea to try a new amplifier (or any amplifier for that matter) on your expensive speakers. As a minimum, you need some DC offset detection and speaker relays.

I'm in the process of putting together some complete DIY VHex kits. They will include chassis, supply, protection, hardware... Everything needed to assemble a complete amplifier for a less experienced builder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.