DIY linear tonearm

Thank you, Colin. But I think it is a big difference.
I've been pouring thru the other thread but haven't come across numbers yet. Anyhow if a cart is mounted at 13mm+/_ . Cantus appears 30mm+/_, at double width. And yours at triple the width. Yours in the horz. would be more stable but, would this come into play or not. At first thought, I wouldn't believe so. But on warped records with all the hem and haw...

Souther was first.. it actually was released in the middle of the 80's. Made by Lou Souther.
Clearaudio bought up the right's to the design and "improved" it, and named it TQi - actually at first they made it worse with to tick tonearm wire (hard to get the stylus pressure right, and it was stiff when moving sidewards), but with a better mounting. And later they improved the VTA-adjustment, better bearings and so on, and also released ultra-expensive "Master TQi"

The Clearaudio cantus-clone was first released as their state of the art tonearm TT1 was released.. this is the tonearm on the "Statement" turntable. But on TT1 the bearings is under the arm, that means the glass tube is closer to the same level as the cartridge.

And a few years later TQi (and Master TQi) was replaced with TT3 and TT2 arms.

Myself i actually have an old TQi (first clearaudio version) that i have upgraded with TT3 glasstube, carriage and carbon arm. Wasn't really THAT expensive, and i like the adjustment possiblitites with the TQi "base".
I think that Bo Hansson have gotten way to little acknowledgement for his design, and it's great to see it does at least get it here.

Last edited:
Bo was the first euro importer of Souther

Ralf,

Souther was first if I recall right. That became the Clearaudio tt1 after they bought the rights, the tt3 and tt2 came long after the Cantus which use the same concept.

Colin

Bo liked Lou's arm but felt that it had weaknesses he and Lou used to discuss design. Bo designed the Cantus as a response to his conerns over the faults he felt existed in the Souther arm. Souther later sold to ClearAudio and continued to design through them. Bo's last major change to the Cantus was to eliminate the flange on the bearings which was there to allow the arm to rock as if on a knife edge. The current version has nor flange and this make the arm more rigid and as Bo put it "there is greater conversion of energy from the stylus tip into electrical signal this way" Bo felt that the more free range of motion the arm has the more loss there will be. Best regards Moray James.

Heard the Clearaudio top TT today with the linear tracker and Goldfinger cartridge, must say a was wildly impressed. last time i hear the Goldfinger was also on at linear tracking tone arm (the walker) It has a unique solid form of presentation i really like. but as the two times i have hear the goldfing it has been on a linear tracker, so maybe it's the absence of tracking angle error i hear (or don't hear)

MiiB,

You wouldn't think the relatively minor tracking error would cause that much difference but it does, I've had first hand experience with this. Even these minor errors are audible on this format, not offensive, but audible and once you enter zero tracking error the difference in imaging and presentation is instantly noted. I think the mechanical arms too have the advantage of mechanical coupling vs the air bearing arms which must find ways to deal with resonance that can't escape the arm through various means. The only disadvantage with mechanical is that you simply can't make the arm too long, things get heavy quick and of course the physics are self explanatory :).

Colin

Thanks for the drawing vynuhl addict. It shows what I thought you meant but in some of the earlier post it actually sounded like you had shim between the inner race and the shaft is was mounted on. This is what caused me difficulty but now I see it all straight forward.
jamikl

Another carriage.

Here we go, another carriage idea,no epoxy used!. This one uses a set screw to secure the arm wand and allows adjustable azimuth. Even simpler to build!.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 992
There is a set screw at the bottom to secure azimuth. Also the counterweight is mounted on the single tube wand, funny as hanging all the mass below the bearings seems to allow more mass without affecting the cantilever. Sound?, so far with headphones it has taken another series of steps up, quiet surfaces, dynamic contrast and lucidity seems to have an edge ovr the two wands. I have used .220" carbon fiber tube here. I do love the look of the Clearaudio arms!.

Colin

RollE2K,

Thank you, not sure of the total mass at this point but must be atleast 25g based on prior knowledge. The increased polycarbonate mass that holds the bearings and wand seems to be of benefit. Perhaps of benefit too is the partial decoupling of the wand with a set screw, but the azimuth adjustment and ability to interchange wands is a plus, after all its about rigidity and the single thicker tube is as rigid as the two tubes, but much easier to build. I've also moved the bearings from 43.75mm to a 39-40mm spacing.

Colin