DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a TT mat years ago(+/- 45euro's), turned from acryllic in a slight concave shape. It had to be glued on the platter with double sided tape, and had a lead-composite layer just under the tape. The manufacturer added some rings, if you had a bumpy record this ring in combination with clamp pushes the record on the mat.
Never used the rings, and later i glued a felt mat on the tt mat, this gives always a good record-platter contact now, and reduces resonances in record. This felt was self adhesive with double sided tape on it too.

Although I don't want to get your hopes up, you might see if you can find one of these.

Nagaoka RC-410.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I bought this one years ago. It uses a spring-loaded chuck and weighs <120g (the 'fur' on the top is for cleaning the stylus).

Like many brilliant Japanese gizmos (remember the Audio Technica AT637 styus cleaner?) it's either out of production or no longer exported, but I've seen at least one on eBay in the last year.

A.

How about a Balsa puck - layered up to the required thickness (1/2" or so), and being held in place by a magnet. As long as the magnet is pole to pole on the bearing spindle, the variation of magnetic field anywhere near the cart will be miniscule.

An idea so good, I might just make one (or five million)

Owen

Sota used to have one like the Goldmund with a quick release lever. The problem with these is that, if your LP is not flat in a way that it sticks to the plater, the clamp does not perform it's function well. Oracle used to have a design that raised the center slighlty and let the clamp pressure the LP against the plater, but without a screw implementation an a long center spindle, chances are either the clamp will not hold, or you have to manually put pressure, both if which are not ideal.

The best solution would be to clamp to the spindle like the Goldmund design, and use another noob to pressure the clamp down on the LP.

i just drilled a hole in a hockey puck.
6 oz.
it works! i drilled the hole so it fits quite snugly. you have to press it down and then it stays tight. i simply picked the drill bit by pushing one through a record's spindle hole (hot? lol) for the best fit. i don't even know what size the bit was.

my previous DYI clamp was a glass cup filled with candle wax. only the wax touches the record. pretty heavy, and slightly assymetrical, but it never seemed to affect the pitch of the dual 506, and it definitely was a substantial improvement.

i have a felt mat (pro-ject debut II), too, so there IS a benefit (i hear it, ...more, tighter low end, tighter high end, better separation...), , although it's admittedly not as noticeable as on a rubber mat (dual 506).

for a buck for hockey puck, it's worth it.

Hello guys !
First I apologize for my English writing, I am French.
I want to show you my lightweight record clamp.
I made it myself because it doesn't exist anywhere.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is really light, it weights only 55 grams :

But it clamps so efficiently that i can remove the entire platter of my Linn LP-12 by pulling on it when it is firmly screwed.
Obviously I can trim its effect as I want.
It is made of Lexan for the parts, Nylon for the screws and brass for the axles. No one magnetic part inside.

Here is another view :

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.