Diy kimber interconnect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Blue Jeans article also states
There is a common misconception that twisting the two conductors of an interconnect cable together can somehow contribute to noise rejection, and even that it can perform as good a job of noise rejection as a good shield can. But the phenomenon by which twisted-pair wires reject noise--called common-mode noise rejection--works only in balanced audio circuits, not in the unbalanced circuits that are nearly universal in consumer audio gear.

So where is the advantage of twisted over woven (as Kimber cable). if a balanced circuit is not in use?

I can see that a proper coaxial with decent shielding of the central conductor has advantages, but I am still looking to find any evidence that a twisted pair is better than a woven cable in an unbalanced circuit.
Also I am still looking for any evidence that supports the claimed superior RF performance of woven cables.

I would suggest the total lack of woven cables outside of audio is a big clue to their effectiveness... Yet tons of shielded and co-ax cables (and twisted for balanced/LVDS).
Then Russ Andrews got in trouble with the ASA for their claims in 2011.
A look at all the EMC recommendations form Henry Ott, Ralph Morrison, Keith Armstrong, Kurt Denke above, etc.

So where is the advantage of twisted over woven (as Kimber cable). if a balanced circuit is not in use?

Twisting means the inductive coupling is reversed at each turn and largely cancels. If you look at the usual three wire braid it's like a plait, the wires don't rotate around each other and so there isn't the same cancellation

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I've never bought cable cased on capacitance or inductance.
I have bought cable based on conductor material, insulation type, and shielding. The Connex ( made by DH Labs) is a very good cable, I like better than copper ( solid or stranded) and higher dielectric absorption insulation materials to to save a dollar or two a foot? I've used other DIY and premade cables over the years Kimber, Cardas, Neglex, Audio Quest, Randall Research, etc, and the Connex stands out as a bargain for it's construction and materials.

If someone said they preferred a cable type or construction because it was what they liked in their system then thats what works for them. I'm just pointing out the Connex cable as worth consideration for diy cables, I've bought several hundred feet of it for cables and internal wiring over the years.

For $8 a foot you can get teflon insulated, solid silver, shielded, twisted pair cable at Parts Connexion, at that price why settle for less - especially if your going to invest your time in making cables.
Shield Current Induced Noise is a problem in longer balanced interconnect cables. More so in pro audio situations in harsh electrical environments. Because good balanced cables need very symmetrical construction. It takes big, expensive machines and a good quality control dept. that only the major bulk cable manufactures have to make these cables.

Excellent well-made cable is available for about $1.50 a foot.

"Shield-Current-Induced Noise - Part 1"
Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

The Blue Jeans article also states...................

I can see that a proper coaxial with decent shielding of the central conductor has advantages, but I am still looking to find any evidence that a twisted pair is better than a woven cable in an unbalanced circuit.
If it's an unbalanced circuit it needs a coax cable, End of story.

Also I am still looking for any evidence that supports the claimed superior RF performance of woven cables.
Well it's better that straight zip-cord, but not as good as twisted.

Performance wise, braided is closer to twisted than to straight zip-cord.

If it's an unbalanced circuit it needs a coax cable, End of story.

I will look into building some co-ax cables for my system.
Looks like substituting twisted pair cables for my current woven cable would be a waste of my time. My power amplifier has a balanced input but that's the only one in my HI-Fi system.
Connecting into a balanced receiver from an unbalanced source is a whole other story...

Thus, at audio frequencies,
a cable less than 2,000 ft long is no more complicated than its series resistance and parallel capacitance. As the cable becomes longer, or as frequency increases, the cable will begin to behave as a transmission line.

from a document from the link in #115 above...

Another interesting link...
Dielectric Absorption in Cables Debunked | Audioholics
and another:
Characteristic Impedance of Cables at High and Low Frequencies

boring science but interesting and worth a read if you want to have some understanding of cable, just dry and not much woo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.