DIY is dying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yeah I don't leave the home without mine mainly because smart phones are so useful in finding and remembering addresses, contact info for businesses, etc. And its great if I get into trouble I don't have to walk to get help.

But I do really need to detox from technology. I heard of one guy many years ago who doesn't even watch television and hasn't watched it for many decades. There are limits to how far back I can go before I feel like I'm cut off from the world and run back to technology.

Out There: People Who Live Without TV
https://personalexcellence.co/blog/stop-watching-tv/

But I guarantee you that these same people will read a book which is just odd but is easily explained by humans being people who are interested in absorbing new information. It all depends on how you do it though and that's the only difference. Then there is of course the typical reasons listed such as not wanting hollywood to influence them or their life.

It is really odd though when you consider the fact that television and movies are really just human beings prancing about on stage in a theater or in the case of documentaries or reality tv shows they are behaving as they normally would in everyday life. Same goes for youtube.

Last edited:
My car have 4 disk brakes and 4 optical encoders, the optical encoders informations are given to the ECU and the disk brakes control is centralized on a 4 chanels hydraulic electro distributor controlled by the ECU.
Each wheel braking force is managed by the ECU software (with his accelerometer)… it is possible to immagine the conesquences of a side effect of a bug in the ECU, the resulting experience could perhaps be harmfull.
In France modifiying the ECU in any way cancels the car homologation and the insurances don’t covers you anymore, each person who killed another on the road is judged as a criminal, go to the same court, endure the same sentences, go to the same jails as the most dangerous criminals of our country (you are considered as a premedited murderer and judged by the penal court)
There just is some games that i don't want to play.

PS : Sony-ericsson telephones were a lot more reliable than today smartphones and i still regret them.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
In UK we have a 'Q' plate system for home builds. In the modern sanitised world of nanny computers it is nice to have a car you actually have to DRIVE. no abs, no traction control, no power anything, and in my case no roof or doors. Huge power to weight, RWD and if you take liberties it will spit you into the hedge. If you hit something else, you are more likely to die. You wouldn't commute to work on the motoroway in one, but for pure, feeling alive and enjoying the open road on a nice day there is nothing on 4 wheels to beat it. But it needs the nut behind the wheel to be good and tight!

Two wheels is another whole game of 'wheee.....arrrrggh'

Also note someone round here drives about in a 4-poster bed

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I don't get or understand the whole "SMD is killing DIY" thing. Its really just smaller components that can be placed and soldered. Sure if you have shaky hands that can be a huge challenge but its nothing that a bit of engineering can fix such as nudging the component into place and letting the solder suck the component into the right position. Or mounting a soldering iron to a drill press then moving the component and pcb into place.

Saved me from an huge wreck one time on the snow... the moment was simply magic when the braking pedal go to the floor and i little voice in my head said : d'ont panic i'm here !
The car was totally lost and start to rotate on itself... the final position was perfetly aligned to the road and stopped just in time.

I don't get or understand the whole "SMD is killing DIY" thing. Its really just smaller components that can be placed and soldered. Sure if you have shaky hands that can be a huge challenge but its nothing that a bit of engineering can fix such as nudging the component into place and letting the solder suck the component into the right position. Or mounting a soldering iron to a drill press then moving the component and pcb into place.

The problem is that the PCB heating is melting the SMD placing glue and harm components because it's too long.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Whereas my mid 90s american minivan on supposed M&S tyres in light snow just chuntered in a straight line going into the mall. Modern ABS is very good. 20 years ago not so good. Of course downhill in snow in a FWD car is the worst case.

I would not drive a car with 4" of ground clearance in the snow. However having used proper snow tyres, even just on cold damp roads they are an eye opener. The grip is astounding. Almost too good.

Having a fun car you can take on track or skid pan with no driver aids is good. It makes you a better driver rather than hoping nanny computer will save you. Continual improvement in car control is good IMO. This is why I don't like modern cars.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Only downside to ABS is that the pumping motion can spook drivers who haven't ever used it before and spooking someone into letting up off on the brake is a very bad thing.

Exact thing happened to me in wet conditions when I got my first ABS car. It nearly drove me right into a lamp post but I decided to slam my foot back onto the brake anyway because I figured if I'm going to crash I won't have a car.

I didn't end up "straight and narrow" the fishtailing of the car landed me about a foot off a lamp post in a ditch. I backed it up and drove it back home.

I was also told that ABS makes stopping distances worse on gravel because the tyres won't dig into the gravel and stop the car sooner the pulsing motion of the ABS system makes the tyres instead float across the gravel and not dig in. And Australia has a LOT of dirt or gravel roads. Great on tarmac, not so good on gravel or dirt.

But the handbrake won't have ABS so at least I have that.

Last edited:
Whereas my mid 90s american minivan on supposed M&S tyres in light snow just chuntered in a straight line going into the mall. Modern ABS is very good. 20 years ago not so good. Of course downhill in snow in a FWD car is the worst case.

I would not drive a car with 4" of ground clearance in the snow. However having used proper snow tyres, even just on cold damp roads they are an eye opener. The grip is astounding. Almost too good.

Having a fun car you can take on track or skid pan with no driver aids is good. It makes you a better driver rather than hoping nanny computer will save you. Continual improvement in car control is good IMO. This is why I don't like modern cars.
While i was waiting for the impact (slighly before the ABS system start to make its little symphony of ultra fast blocking (and deblocking) of each wheel independantly… the iced rubber quartet) i was thinking that the company (that i used to work for) would not understand why my collegues are at work while i'm don’t.
Therfore we all came on the snow by car looking at the time on our smartphones in order to « don’t be late ».

BanzaÏ !

Joined 2014
Paid Member
yeah GM 90s style ABS didn't do that, you just lost all retardation.

There is a joke in UK that BMWs are no good in snow as the TC gets all confused and you go no where. This is of course a lie. In civilised countries where you have actual winter people put the right boots on their car. ultra-low profile ultra-wide summer tyres just will not grip snow.

yeah GM 90s style ABS didn't do that, you just lost all retardation.

There is a joke in UK that BMWs are no good in snow as the TC gets all confused and you go no where. This is of course a lie. In civilised countries where you have actual winter people put the right boots on their car. ultra-low profile ultra-wide summer tyres just will not grip snow.

Everyone have all weather tyres mounted on their car in my country (don't have the tools to change their tyres by their own) and don't have a snow detector that wake up them in the night in order to change their tyres.

The first arrived will be an example... and treated as a hero.
Others employées are lazy persons that don't care about working and don't know twhat they want... societal.

I can say without any doubt that the industrialisation process and now the informatization process are disconnecting the humanity to the material physical properties of everything.
And it seems to be highly societal.
Not arguing, just putting things in context:
we have been doing that for the last 500000 to 1000000 years :eek:
we started (in no particular order):
* cooking food, which meant we lost the capability of living *just* on "natural" (raw) food, so losing tha capacity to make fire (for any reason) would mean widespread starvation, that alone shows gross dependence on Technology
* using clothes, specially in cold climate or desertic areas. Yes, we can dispense with them in subtropical and tropical areas, but then we lose capability to live in about 50% of Earth surface
* house/shelter , same thing.
* hunting/fishing with some kind of tools (including nets and traps) or weapons (even if sticks or stones)
* Medicine, even if the crudest kind.
Even Shamans or tribal witch doctors, beyond the mumbo jumbo, had some real Medical skills, be it medicinal plants, reducing fractures with their hands, delivering Babies , empirical Health guidelines, all of which prevented at least some deaths, comparing to just letting Nature run its course.
* agriculture, water works, etc.

and so on and on,the point being that since forever Humans have been Technologically advancing beyond plain natural selection and each step has made us dependent on it.

Can we safely go backwards?
Well, a few can: just look at, say, Amish or Mennonites (and certainly many others), they still live in a 1800´s something World, and they are doing fine :)
Only problem is that the whole World would probably be able to sustain , say, 500 Million people in total .... or whatever amount it did way back then, with 1800´s technology.
And I mean *early* 1800´s ; the second half with steam ships and railroads, iron works, dynamite for mining, anesthesia and antiseptics , advanced Chemistry, massive textile production, etc. was already "us" without Electronics ;)
Turning back the clock just from , say, 1870 to 1830 would have already been a major catastrophe. Only 50 years.

Equaling the resolution of film may be out of your (and my) budget, but exceeding the resolution of your display and printing systems is possible. I bought a Panasonic pocket camera about 6 years ago for $100 on closeout. It is 4000 X 3000 in resolution, takes excellent pictures, and good 1080 video. The pictures have higher resolution than the cheap 4K TV that I use for a display, and you cant see the pixels with a magnifying glass on an 8 1/2 by 11 (or 8 X 10) print made with a $250 Epson printer. Most of the pictures that I have posted on this forum were shot on the Panasonic because under good conditions it equals my Canon DSLR (a budget model). If you know the camera's limitations, and shoot to avoid them, you can get great pictures from a budget camera.

My son in law works installing, commissioning and repairing huge inkjet printers for producing advertising on vinyl which are applied trucks and airplanes etc.
I took some images of the sun deck and river views of our legion, which was to be printed on vinyl boards and used to advertise the legion's advantages.
My camera at the time was a used 6 mp Nikon D40, and I worried about 6 mp being too low, but I need't have. With the magic of jpeg, the pixel count was well below 6 mp for each image.
Anyway, the images printed up great and are being used on an 'A' frame board outside the premises.
I did a little kitchen BW enlarging years ago, nothing over 10X8 so the large digital images was proof enough never to go back to film. Why, with monochrome digital I get clouds without a filter!
I recently updated my SLR to a 24 mp, why I do not know, Ken Rockwell gives a good explanation of images and pixels on his website.

Amish or Mennonites (and certainly many others), they still live in a 1800´s something World, and they are doing fine

The Amish world has changed quite a bit. There is a large Amish community in Northeastern Ohio not far from here. Driving through Amish country reveals that some of the people still cling to the old ways, while others have adopted some new "conveniences." Cell phone use is still rare, and most of the older generation still travels in horse drawn buggies, but there are exceptions.

Driving deep through farm country, I came across an Amish restaurant. The sign in the front said, "Buggy parking only, motor vehicles must park in the rear." I passed farm after farm where there were no power lines, and all of the farming equipment was horse drawn. However there were a few farms with solar panels, wind turbines, and even a satellite dish or two. Cell phone coverage was spotty, but generally available, much like here where I live.

We has a builder do the planning and contracting for our house, but many of the individual crews were Amish people. Strong work ethic, honest, showed up every day at 7AM even when snowing, and worked until dark. Usually an older man would be driving an older pickup truck (always an American brand) with several workers in their teens or early 20's. My guess is that most were all from the same family, and some spoke to each other in German or Dutch, but spoke to us in English. Most of the work was done with hand tools, with the only power tools being circular saws, pneumatic nail or staple guns (roof) and an electric concrete mixer for mortar (block laying). The outstanding thing that every crew did, was to break for lunch at noon and heat up their food in a small microwave oven!

My camera at the time was a used 6 mp Nikon D40, and I worried about 6 mp being too low

The cheapie Panasonic I have is 12 MP, but it uses a rather tiny sensor which gathers less light than a larger sensor and lens. This is why you pay more $$$ and size for a lower minimum F stop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.