DIY interconnect - return wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unbalanced is signal and return. The return acts as shield, so has two roles.

Some might think using a shield as a signal carrying wire cannot possibly be a good idea. Perhaps this explains why so many unbalanced cables use a proper return wire in addition to a shield, which has only one end connected.

Now why the topic starter is asking cable related questions HERE is something of a mystery. He is more likely to get useful answer at his local bingo hall.

analog_sa said:
Some might think using a shield as a signal carrying wire cannot possibly be a good idea. Perhaps this explains why so many unbalanced cables use a proper return wire in addition to a shield, which has only one end connected.
If the source is electrically floating (e.g. microphone, pickup cartridge) then such a pseudo-balanced connection can work OK. If the source is a conventional grounded source then you want a low impedance signal return, best provided by a shield.

One of the best cables to make interconnects from is Belden 1505F coaxial cable. Stranded copper inner conductor and 2 braided shields on the outside. Very low capacitance and very flexible.
Belden 1505F Technical Specs

BillWojo

Thanks Bill, I heard good things about Blue Jeans cable on another forum. Great for turntable interconnects

Unbalanced is signal and return. The return acts as shield, so has two roles.

Balanced is signal+ and signal-, with both at the same impedance. It may or may not be shielded.

People often confuse the two, or try to combine them. Fortunately, domestic audio is an undemanding application of wires so quite serious mistakes can still work OK; sadly this encourages others to make mistakes too.

You need to be clear: there is no valid electrical reason to make your own audio cable. Anything you make will be electrically inferior to a cable made in a factory. All you need to do is buy some cable, buy some connectors and attach them. DIY cable-making simply raises a flag to tell others that you don't understand electronics; do you really want to do this?

Thank you DF for explaining , i understad that, and I will get to the point of my cable below and what caused me to design it that way.

Now why the topic starter is asking cable related questions HERE is something of a mystery. He is more likely to get useful answer at his local bingo hall.
Hi Analog sa
I was posting here for tips which I got.

The reason I made my cable that way is the eichmann ratio
"The Ratio forces the return conductor to respond rapidly to signals being transmitted through the signal conductor, at the same time providing a balance of reactance between signal and return. This ensures that all frequencies and their harmonics are transmitted in a more perfect state. The result is cleaner signal transfer. Which translates to better sound quality."

I read one this page the thread maker, said the ratio was 2:1 approximately
Interconnects implementing the Eichmann Ratio™

Whether that works with my set up I dont know, maybe the return could be in a helix configuration

Last edited:
Oh my, that's some high grade audio BS there. I tried reading his paten application, in which he "explains" how his idea solves a made up problem, but he lost me somewhere around electron velocity.

Still, if you want to make a cable based on that claim, it probably won't sound any worse than lots of other designs.

Yes, really. OP wants to build his own cable from silver wire, teflon tubing, and cotton wadding, and he is seeking affirmation of his choices. This is probably a bad place to look for that, since many (most?) people here will tell him it is a bad idea.

MaccAu said:
The reason I made my cable that way is the eichmann ratio
"The Ratio forces the return conductor to respond rapidly to signals being transmitted through the signal conductor, at the same time providing a balance of reactance between signal and return. This ensures that all frequencies and their harmonics are transmitted in a more perfect state. The result is cleaner signal transfer. Which translates to better sound quality."
Pure high grade nonsense. You can completely ignore this, and probably anything else you read from the same source.

the eichmann ratio

I read one this page the thread maker, said the ratio was 2:1 approximately
Interconnects implementing the Eichmann Ratio™

Whether that works with my set up I dont know, maybe the return could be in a helix configuration

Bollocks. Total bollocks, divorced from any kind of scientific reality hitherto known by woman-born. The complete absence of physics or the most elementary principles of electrical engineering contained in the patent says all you need to know about its value.

Last edited:
Yes, really. OP wants to build his own cable from silver wire, teflon tubing, and cotton wadding, and he is seeking affirmation of his choices. This is probably a bad place to look for that, since many (most?) people here will tell him it is a bad idea.

Thanks, Nezbleu, yes i have the wire and interconnect so cant waste it, have to do something right with it

MaccAu, I was interested in how the shield functions so started this thread, I hope you find it informative, there are some fascinating links, and you can be sure there is no BS here that isn't called out ;) Cable shield as a Faraday cage

Thanks Scott so go and read it.

Pure high grade nonsense. You can completely ignore this, and probably anything else you read from the same source.

Yes DF96, came from the old Eichmann website

Bollocks. Total bollocks, divorced from any kind of scientific reality hitherto known by woman-born. The complete absence of physics or the most elementary principles of electrical engineering contained in the patent says all you need to know about its value.

Yes Scott came from the Eichmann website, mind you the switchcraft RCA plugs are actually as good as TE copper
Bingo
Inventing a (bogus) problem is the 1st step toward marketing snake-oil.:radar:

We dont want snake oil Infinia, olive oil would do better :D yes cant believe everything you hear from Manufactures

Thanks, Nezbleu, yes i have the wire and interconnect so cant waste it, have to do something right with it

Selling it & putting the money toward a proper cable would be one option. Then it won't be wasted.

Yes Scott came from the Eichmann website,

I know. I even read the patent. Several minutes of my life I will never get back, and too depressing to even raise a laugh.

mind you the switchcraft RCA plugs are actually as good as TE copper

I'm not certain what 'TE copper' is referring to, but if you're talking about the Switchcraft 3502 that's not setting the bar very high because it's a rather poor connector. Too small, duff cable-clamping, pain to solder to a high standard... surprising given their reputation. Although in fairness, it's extremely cheap.

yes cant believe everything you hear from Manufactures

Indeed not. 'Eichmann ratios' being a prime example...

TE = Tellurium, perhaps?

FWIW, intrigued by the buzz, I’d tried out both the Eichmann copper RCAs and speaker pod binding posts years ago. Honestly couldn’t hear any veils of obscuring haze evaporating, or whatever the blather at the time intimated, and the RCAs were particularly fiddle to work with. While I have some empathy for the idea of keeping the mass of conducting material on connectors as low as possible, the plastic outer shell is too thin for my liking, and the teeny set screw doesn’t provide sufficient strain relief. I had them fail several times, and the lightweight plastic into which the metal is imbedded is far too easily deformed by the heat of the soldering - particularly if using a shielded cable without removing much of the mass of the braid and pigtailing down to a more workable size.
XLR or even DIN connectors make more sense, although the latter are their own world I’d hurt.

Eichmann ratios indeed:rolleyes:

I've used too many brands / types of RCAs overthe past 40yrs to keep track - from several models of Switchcraft to Deltrons to WBT clones. Frankly my favorite of the low mass ones were by Radio Shack / Realistic; very thin metal - presumably nickle plated whatever - hollow center pin with minimal strain relief crimp collar and light screw on plastic cover. IIRC a pack of 4 for less than $8?

Something like that. We had similar ones over here. For [relatively] low mass, I quite like the Neutrik (Rean) connectors. If I want something heavier-duty, the generic locking types you can find on ePay seem to do OK. I don't often bother making up my own leads any more though. There's some very nicely made leads out there now that cost very little, & since I can think of many things I'd rather be doing than soldering RCA plugs, I just buy a set when needed.

Last edited:
I assume you speak of heat conduction, thus making soldering more difficult?

partly - see below

I thought it only polite to give him the benefit of the doubt.......... He has been hanging around planet 10 for a while though ;)

indeed, almost 20yrs of orbiting close to an event horizon can distort the storage and transmission of synaptic energy - or so I read on the internet somewhere :D

and thanks for the civility with which that was parsed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.