DIY hifi source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Theres a lot of us that know nowt them in't there lad.
Personaly I'll admit to being a bit of a thicko when it comes to this digital stuff, not knowing my velocity factor from my monotonic signal, and believing electrons only travel at less than a tenth of a milimeter per second, and always mistaking my Ott for a Johnson, so I bow to you greater knowledge and await with baited breath for the next revelation in this road to physics nirvana.
Qusp, have you not read the link to Mr Colloms revealing article, from it I deduce that somehow the system knows when it is moving audio bits, as compared to the millions of boring non-audio bits, how could I have been duped for so long, in believing in digital transfer being so reliable, when these sneaky audio bits now pick up detrious on their way around the system.

we found out that, 300uV rms power supply makes sound not clear as 100uV RMS power supply. that's modificatio to digital circuit, not analog !
for ES9018 DAC, you must make sure that the reference voltage noise under 5uV RMS or the performance THD+n could not reach -120dB ...
wow, you discovered that the analogue reference must be low noise? heres me thinking that was covered in the application note....

Last edited:
Perhaps someone could explain to me how a re-clocked FIFO fails to eliminate all prior jitter? That is what someone just claimed? Is is because the little gremlins which ride along with the data can somehow hop across the FIFO and emerge on the other side?

might be something else, it really has the affection while we tested in customers lab, CAT5 and CAT7 cable sounds different with our FIFO buffered digital circuit.

If I was wrong that you were deliberately misrepresenting things rather than simply not understanding the basics, I apologize.

we did wanna open source and share with ppl here in the very beginning, but our customer push us to make this product better and better, so, I'm replying in a different way later, but reply here again just to keep promise for the free samples.

this project is complicated, including schmetic, pcb layout (5 pcbs in the products), linux OS driver, Uboot, audo decoder, UI, UPNP protocol(intel always think in a hardware way, the documents they provided sucks), MCU program, DSP, verilog....
so, open source makes no sense and few ppl could do, also, too many factors to make it good...

Science like that could win a Nobel Prize, if confirmed by others. Not sure if it would be considered 'action at a distance' or just acausality. Either could be the scientific breakthrough the world is waiting for: the replacement of the Standard Model.

we do have latest model setup under request of our OEM customers, but need to test, especially by top recording engineers. when they agree, we make it.

it seems the words 'the standard model' have not even got meaning in this brave new world?

@ Marc, yes I only just read the thread mentioned... lol, yeah now thats science! I guess they can rest their case now? of course its predictable that only the audio electrons are encouraged to behave this way....

Last edited:
On a more scientific note Qusp, wots on your cats head, a kermit hat?
DF96, there are no books, tomes, white papers (apart from Andrex), or other documentation for new age electronics, information can only be picked up by intense meditation tuning into the extreme concentration of an audiophile listening (with the intensity of the constipated trying to pass go) for the latest fad that is ruining there listening pleasure.
I would love to know what they have done with the layout, if anything that is so special and will encourage them electrons to crawl there way around the traces at barley 0.1mm per second, me when using intel chips I defer to their very comprehensive layout guides, same with xylinx micron etc etc etc.
Sorry if I sound bitter, but I have to face another week away from home and my employers have downgraded my hotel room, most prisoners have more room and a bigger tele, well cant do enough for a good firm wot!
Bitter Twisted...

controversial, how? Because I have asked for a figure regarding jitter levels, which seems to be the new demon for some audiophiles?
As to clock mods some are well engineered, some are just pathetic, mainly DIY ones with long wires no concern over impedance matching etc etc, of course as these people use ears and not signal integrity simulation or measurements it does not matter because they hear an improvement every time. In the real world we treatt clocks as the delicate little darlings they are and route the clock signals first (except DDR memory) so they have to travel the shortest distance possible to avoid problems, they are also simulated so that if required the value of the series resistor can be worked out.
I dont know why I am not sucking money out of audiophiles for dodgy gear, oh I have a concience and believe in physics, as to this thread, was it to add credibility to an overpriced PC with audiophile marketing...

I read your post to mean that in all cases there is a buffer prior to the DAC so therefore spdif (for example) induced jitter doesn't matter to any DAC. If you meant that jitter arising earlier in the chain is eliminated by a buffer then I can see no logical reason why you are incorrect.

Last edited:
That's controversial. There are plenty people who consider the interface to be important, hence the use of, for example, the spdif schemes to send the clock back to the transport, asynchronous usb interfaces are another. All this would be pointless if a buffer were sufficient. I am not saying it is not possible to buffer an re-clock to render this irrelevant, it is just that I have heard the effect, for example, of a change of spdif cables connecting a DAC with supposedly good jitter rejection. The change was easily heard too, not particularly subtle.

There is always the possibility that jitter caused earlier in the chain appears at the DAC.

Here's a couple.

If you meant that jitter arising earlier in the chain is eliminated by a buffer then I can see no logical reason why you are incorrect.

This is partially correct. That's one element of the system. So is the local clock for the DAC (the bit that Guido sells).

No I was saying that only jitter that apears in the last satge of the digital data's transprot from long term storage device to DAC matters, this is more often and not the SPDIF interface.
Concentrate on the last step, and if it is of concern isolate and buffer the data, then you can optimise the timing, minimise noise from a PC (cos whotever you try the only way of cutting down a digital systems noise is reducing the switching speeds and thus minimising switchig noise of the gates, oh and nice slooooow rise times, Olivetti 24 anyone, we could argue over the difference then between 5.25 discs and 3 and a bit).
Thats why we have so many voltages on PCB's involving processors, CPLD's, FPGA's etc, they cant swing 5V any more, its all this sill 45nm and smaller features and silly rise times to allow double data rate memory to work (never mind burst mode) and such like.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.