DIY FM Tuner challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As for the german speaking page about the radio module:

Rolf (the author) mainly describes a basic theory and his attempts on RDS (radio text).

The interesting part as for finding ICs to build an FM tuner is Rolfs recommendation of the Module OM6510 (http://www.semiconductors.com/acrobat/datasheets/OM5610_2.pdf) by the Austrian 'Flextronics International' (www.flextronics.at).

He mentions that it's built around the Philips TEA5757 (http://www.semiconductors.com/acrobat/datasheets/TEA5757_5759_3.pdf).

After difficulties to find the module he decided to cut a tuner module out of an old (cheap) PC radio card :smash: which is the one shown in the picture.

The rest of the page gives links to RDS decoder projects, mainly in German, French and Czech. Oh, and a couple of devices from Philips and Motorola etc.

Hope this helps

Thanks sek!
I've tried the link to Flextronics too, but it seems there's nothing to do.... Alas...

By the way, Daisy-laser (http://daisy-laser.com), the OEM source for CDPro mechanisms, used to propose a tuner kit from Philips. But they seem to have revamped their site, and the tuner kit is no longer directly accessible. But all the files seem to be still there :
photos and files (PDFs)...

That's how the tuner looks like :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and the development kit...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Was wondering if Nico Thevissen (the guy who sells CDPRO2 to DIYers) could also offer the tuner kit to DIY people ?

Hmm, yes. The Flextronics site seems to have much to tell, but nohting to say :scratch2:

Anyways, the daisy-laser module seems to be a little too big for my taste :lickface: as it is about 115x145cm (ca. 4.5x5in) wide.

I've got a sony 'walkman' radio lying around here. It's not bigger than perhaps 5x2.5cm (2x1in) including a 1.5V battery (it's only supply).

I wouldn't consider this particular sony device high fidelity tough, but it's better (for it's purpose) than most cheaper car radios.

Unfortunately I can't disassemble it, my gf would - no, not kill me, worse!!! :bawling:

The mentioned TEA6845 looks promising, as it's suited to tune from police radio via fm broadcast up to airplane radio here in Europe :bigeyes: ... wonder if you make it on a list by just ordering that part :D

But the overall complexity of all the application schematics seems too high to challenge me. It's particularly easier to literally cut out a working block out of a working device :cool: e.g. a Philips tuner module incl. shielding metal case.

Perhaps one could look for a cheap, nice sounding car radio (surplus...) and reuse the tuner part...

My overall impression of the topic is that there seems to be a reason why you can count the sources for recommendable DIY tuner projects on one hand: it's too complicated (getting parts, having access to measurement equipment) and sensitive (device quality, pre-tuning process) to achieve industry standard quality for a reasonable price. :bawling:

A good learning experience is to get a secondhand shop tuner for $10.00 and modify it to get the sound you want.
Sort out the power supplies and signal couplings and you should be able to improve most standalone hi-fi tuners to your satisfaction.

The tuner that I spoke of is for critical FM monitoring and is an AUS$800.00 item - the parts cost would be several hundred dollars including cabinet.

Eric.

sek said:
My overall impression of the topic is that there seems to be a reason why you can count the sources for recommendable DIY tuner projects on one hand: it's too complicated (getting parts, having access to measurement equipment) and sensitive (device quality, pre-tuning process) to achieve industry standard quality for a reasonable price. :bawling:

Couldn't agree more !

Have you read this thread (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20786) ?
I've collected all the parts.... except the coils :( I've got enormous problems getting the quad coil... No answers at all from coils manufacturers or resellers, both in Europe or worldwide... Alas... :bawling: I keep the project in background... Who knows... Maybe one day:rolleyes:

I wasn't aware of an Elektor article. Might have looked promising... :dodgy:

My problem is, the tuner part is the only sound source that can't be built with 'standard' components. I've got everything around to set up a good cd player, dvd player, power amplifiers, speakers, preamp, headphone amp, remote control etc. But it seems I have to give up DIY when it comes to the decade (or century) old technology you need for listening to radio! :mad:

My overall goal is to have a self made system, which is probably the goal of many of us. Everything fits into small enclosures these days, even multi-channel GainClones... ;) But I don't want my radio to be bigger than my speakers. And I don't want it to look ugly! :bawling:

Thus I'm always looking for a *small* tuner module. But it seems that the car radio industry will become my supplier. Even moderately priced (not cheap) hifi component tuners have sooo ugly components inside that I just don't want to use them. I don't want to build a good looking enclosure around someone else's ugly components :hot:

Okay, bottom line: Perhaps we should shift our focus for making DIY tuners on readily available building blocks, such as tuner modules that are available through the known suppliers. The car industry, the hifi industry, even the computer industry receives those 'en masse'. Any suggestions anyone? I'm running out of knowledge in this department, sorry...

sek said:
Thus I'm always looking for a *small* tuner module. But it seems that the car radio industry will become my supplier.

About 6 months ago, I contacted Mitsumi's representatives to know if one of their tuner modules would be available for a DIYer like me... They say yes... if you buy 1000 of them... The same old story for ALPS, and I've given up since....

but... What about this one .... for less than 2 Euros !!! ? :

Telefunken Temic FM-Tuner 1890 DFC...

Searched the web, but couldn't find its real datasheet. I know I integrates RF stages and IF stages, ant outputs the signal for MPX decoder, and it is shipped with the datasheet.

For 1E95, well worth the price, no :D ?
IMHO, shipping costs more than it... ;) BTW, looks nice for me, at least for a test, but shipping costs frighten me, and german looks chinese to me (no offense intended for anybody :) ), so unable to order.

Sek, as a german people, you should have no problem getting it :

http://www.pollin.de , then left menu "HIFI / CAR-HIFI / VIDEO / TV", then "HiFi", and finally "Ersatzteile".

Hope this helps a little.

Hi,

Telefunken Temic FM-Tuner 1890 DFC...

Interesting. But unfortunately Telefunken is out of business (since years) and I'm not sure its successors still manufacture their parts. I've had problems finding Telefunken-parts several times in the last years. Perhaps Pollin has some left, but they're not suited as a general DIY recommendation. Once they're out of stock, they're gone forever :(

Anyways, the Temic module is only the RF part of the tuner, the IF and controller part is still missing. When I mentioned tuner 'modules' I thought of hybrid devices containing all parts needed - except supply and buttons, display, antenna, etc. :smash:

I've seen such modules in tv set-top boxes, e.g. digital receivers (which are not suited for fm radio, btw...). A shielding metal enclosure with antenna jack and just a couple of pins to solder directly onto a board (as with the Temic module). Supply, I2C for control, a data bus for the digital data stream, etc. Very cheap stuff, really. For the OEMs :bawling:

sek said:
Anyways, the Temic module is only the RF part of the tuner, the IF and controller part is still missing. When I mentioned tuner 'modules' I thought of hybrid devices containing all parts needed - except supply and buttons, display, antenna, etc. :smash:

The IF part IS in the Temic module. Its LF output has to be connected to a MPX decoder. Various kinds of PLL synthesizers for tuning can be found around here (the one in Ryder's schematics for instance), and uC/Display Parts/software are still up to you. Getting "rid" of the RF/IF part is already nice (though I thing a lot can be done on the IF discriminator to lower distortion), and you can plug a nice LF stage with high-end characteristics.

Anyway, if you happen to find something that fits your needs, tell us. I'm still interested ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.