DIY Desktop Speakers Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the name is Alpair, i didn't say cause it already appears in almost each thread these days :) and it seems on a proofed basis of quality.

you can also check-out this very interesting results on a sealed alpair-5 http://lean-audio.blogspot.com/

although i've not experienced it, keep in mind that the difference between the fostex and the alpairs will not be much on the quality side (depending on fostex model of course) but on the kind of presentation you like. i also think taht given a small powered amp the fostex would be more suited for occasionaly far-field listening on small powered amps, while the alpairs more enjoable in the near-field due to more linear frequency response... but than it's just ideas i collected reading around. i'm still waiting to build something with the alpairs.

I stumbled across 'Enable' modding techniques.. any comments on this? Worth looking into & applying?

Indeed, however I could only source ONE supplier so far & the price seemed a bit excessive!

Thanks everyone,

Andy

Andy- if you're interested in answers to both the above, contact Dave at Planet10 via PM

my personal short answer to the first would be "asbofugginlutely", or to that effect, but in case you're not aware, in the interest of full disclosure, see signature below

I first heard the magic polka dots over 2 years ago, and it's fair to say have since been a zealous advocate thereof

the name is Alpair, i didn't say cause it already appears in almost each thread these days :) and it seems on a proofed basis of quality.

you can also check-out this very interesting results on a sealed alpair-5 http://lean-audio.blogspot.com/

although i've not experienced it, keep in mind that the difference between the fostex and the alpairs will not be much on the quality side (depending on fostex model of course) but on the kind of presentation you like. i also think that given a small powered amp the fostex would be more suited for occasionaly far-field listening on small powered amps, while the alpairs more enjoyable in the near-field due to more linear frequency response... but than it's just ideas i collected reading around. i'm still waiting to build something with the alpairs.

without talking about the efficacy of certain "after market mods", or devolving into polemics re the relevance of measurements vs perception, I'd say that's a pretty good summary, with the following qualification:

"while the alpairs may be more enjoyable for some in the near-field due to more linear frequency response..."

As by now I've mentioned ad nauseam, I've built and listened to more than a few pairs of enclosures for several models of Fostex and Mark Audio/Alpair drivers, and simply happen to have a personal preference. Given the opportunity for relaxed enjoyment in a familiar environment, many folks will note a similar preference - others might not.

I've read this thread with some interest.

To : underwurlde

If I were reading here for the first time, I would have been stumped by the shorthand as well. Unfortunately it's difficult for a new reader to catch up. Some have been in this for many years.

I used to want desktop speakers but over time I could not just figure out why anyone would want to sit that close to appreciate music. I have even gone to using the computer as my primary video media source and still don't want to be that close.

But if I were to do so, my best guess is you'll get more flexibility with the little uFonken than the desktop Alpair. I built some Krutke designed desktops for the Tangband W3-871's (16 inches from desktop at direct ear height and so on) and found it both oppressive and not at all accurate for listening.

And since this is DIY I'll make a pitch for looking for local speakers in the
European market and adapt a design. (I did not have good luck at the Italian links.)

Lastly, the EnABL technique is applicable to all speakers as Budp has shown.

Thanks guys! Thanks A LOT for all your very insightful reading.

That Enable thing upon first reading appears utter BUNKUM. I read it and thought 'what the hell is that all about???' BUT, what do I know? It looks so staggering cool & way out there I've gotta try it..... IF I can obtain UK versions of those *American sourced materials.

* Note to Americans & canadians from a UK person.... I wonder if you guys know how frustrating it is reading your threads on such COOL looking speaker designs and reading about such innovative techniques (Enable) for a UK person to then try & implement those ideas only to hit the brick wall that is living in the UK: Finding alternative / Sourcing anything CHEAPLY.

In fact, so far, it is CHEAPER for me to purchase some Fostex FE103's in the US and spend 25 quid (that 'pounds sterling') having them shipped across the Atlantic than to buy them here. Ever heard the term 'rip-off Britain'?

I shall persevere! I never give up. I wonder if it's OK to put some Alpair speakers into that MicroFonken Fostex speaker enclousre? (assuming here that Alpairs are available at a resonable price in the UK)!

Cheers,

Andy

Oh @loninappleton, why to I want to spoil my music by listening to it on small desktop speaks (gotta agree with what you're saying there :p)?...

Space.

1) At home. Wife, cats, dogs, KIDS, MY space in the house (that I hasten to add is costing me a hefty wedge to buy and is not exactly small) is... my desk, i.e. 2 meters square.

2) At work. I can listen to music in my lab and a great pair of wicked little speakers that I'VE taken the time to research & build will make my day at the office go that little bit faster! :eek:

Thanks again everyone!

Andy

* Note to Americans & canadians from a UK person.... I wonder if you guys know how frustrating it is reading your threads on such COOL looking speaker designs and reading about such innovative techniques (Enable) for a UK person to then try & implement those ideas only to hit the brick wall that is living in the UK: Finding alternative / Sourcing anything CHEAPLY.

In fact, so far, it is CHEAPER for me to purchase some Fostex FE103's in the US and spend 25 quid (that 'pounds sterling') having them shipped across the Atlantic than to buy them here. Ever heard the term 'rip-off Britain'?

I shall persevere! I never give up. I wonder if it's OK to put some Alpair speakers into that MicroFonken Fostex speaker enclousre? (assuming here that Alpairs are available at a resonable price in the UK)!

Cheers,

Andy

As a Brit who emigrated I can understand your frustration completely, 'rip off Britain' applies even more to buying cars. Anyhow, with DIY you will be saving a small fortune, learning and having fun, so the premium you might have to spend will soon be forgotten.

Regards EnABL pattern materials, Ed LaFontaine will give you the brand names and you can consult the named thread called enabl how to for fostex and other.

The materials come from the following hobby sources: Mod Podge or puzzle coat from the craft store that sells jig saw puzzles. Micro Gloss from auto detailing for decals and Polyscale acrylic paint designed for model railroad detailing. Damar varnish is sold in little bottles at the art supply store. Plus the pen and nibs (that'd be the easy part.)

Talk to Ed. Chances are his EnABL kit will be cheaper to get direct even overseas.

As to bunkum, well there are several long discussions here on the subject of EnABL. Some are among the saved, for some others the jury is still out. But it's a fun process to learn.

Bigun, that´s not limited to be a Limey/Canuck problem. Whererver you are, some importer rips you off. People like Dave (if I mention him just means I don´t know about others) may be different. Whatsoever, if you can find TSP of drivers you can lay hands on, there will always be someone here who can run a quick sim and help you decide whether to buy.

Hello Chrisb,

I'm curious to know how those alpairs you listened to compared to the fonken. Was the A5 in Henkjan's desktop TL?

yup - an easy enough box, and certainly fun sounding, but ...

Did your impressions match those of others I've read, i.e. the alpairs are more neutral but the fostex still have a special magic?
well, for me, ah, yup - warts and all - but then for serious enchantment, I prefer a 3watt 2A3 SET to my (modified Jolida) 25watt EL34 PP triode or any class-T or chip-amp I've yet heard

The new CSS EL70 (think of it as paper coned sibling to the CHR70) has more than a bit of that magic, and certainly deeper in-room bass and greater X-max than equivalent sized Fostex drivers (albeit with lower sensitivity). It (EL70) certainly makes me hopeful for any future Mark Audio paper cone designs.

I think I've come full circle back to purchasing some Fostex FE103's from across the Pond. i can import a pair from Madisound plus some lovely pillars for LESS than just a pair alone would cost from sourcing in the UK.

These are Japanese speakers no? So from Japan > USA > UK cheaper than Japan > UK. Hmmm. Go figure.

I still hold out hope for a European supplier so I won't order just yet...

Andy

European Fe103e Suppliers

I still hold out hope for a European supplier so I won't order just yet...
Andy

I know of a couple of German suppliers for fostex drivers.
1) Spectrumaudio (http://www.spectrumaudio.de/)
Pair of Fostex 103e : €84.00 plus about €20 p&p

2) Audioconnexion Ebay Germany Shop (+49 (0)6171 284417)
Pair of Fostex 103e : €82.90 plus €14.40 p&p DHL delivery

Hope this helps
Russ

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I've come full circle back to purchasing some Fostex FE103's from across the Pond. i can import a pair from Madisound plus some lovely pillars for LESS than just a pair alone would cost from sourcing in the UK.

These are Japanese speakers no? So from Japan > USA > UK cheaper than Japan > UK. Hmmm. Go figure.

Most of the Fostex drivers are made in China.... the hi tariff from Wilmslow for Fostex actually is responsible for the availability of specially priced pre-treated & matched pairs of FE126/127 from me.... (i don't do FE103)

dave

Oh, so YOU'RE to blame.

(only kidding :D).

Just out of interest, how does one match speakers!??!

--------

Thanks for taking the time to souce hifish48. I think I have already spotted that German site (but not the ebay one):-

From Germany:
Pair of Fostex 103e : €82.90 plus €14.40 p&p DHL delivery = £85

From USA (Madisound):
Pair of Fostex 103e : $78.60 plus $51.29 delivery (ouch) = £77
(I could of sworn the quote for delivery was $43 two days ago :mad:)

Cheers,

Andy

[A]From Germany:[/B]
Pair of Fostex 103e : €82.90 plus €14.40 p&p DHL delivery = £85

From USA (Madisound):
Pair of Fostex 103e : $78.60 plus $51.29 delivery (ouch) = £77
(I could of sworn the quote for delivery was $43 two days ago :mad:)
Cheers,
Andy

Except with a USA sourced order you could have to pay VAT @ 15% and import duty of 16% on top of the £77 = £100 approx. Then carrier normally charges an administration fee to get the parcel through customs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.