DIY Boombox questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bass reflex is an entirely different animal than a sealed speaker. As I understand it, the idea is to use the port to tune the cabinet to a somewhat lower frequency than the speaker would normally go, thereby enhancing bass. It's a balancing act; if you go too extreme, the bass can sound muddy or boomy. There are programs on the web that let you plug in your speaker parameters and it will come up with a box volume and a port size and length.

Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau
Calculators: Madisound Speaker Store
http://sites.google.com/site/amateuraudio/design-software/winisd

Once you have calculated and built the box, there is always some trial and error, so sometimes you have to try a few different lengths to come up with what sounds best. I'm not a speaker expert, so others may have more suggestions.

--Buckapound

Okay, i have played a bit with winisd, made some calculations and i this is what i've comen up with:
2x single speaker enclosure 20 cm wide, 22 cm high 18cm deep. 12mm plate, it all contains 7.92l of air, it is tuned for 82Hz(thx saturnus;) f3 cutoff at 87Hz and 0db from about 110Hz to 2kHz.
between those two there will be some room for a battery, 6.5cm wide and same measurments as the boxes.
on top of the bottom enclosures, there will be a trapez(keeping the original design -360 degrees sound) with tweeters and electronics.
and i HAVE calculated with the speakers volume too ;)
better than the first design?
i will be back with sketchups!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.