DIY Audio Ottawa 21-22 Feb 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
there will be at least 1 pair of foam core using TB W4 616s Drivers. Drivers were obtained from one of the generous Ottawa diy members during Sunday's door prize session.

there is a place in Montreal called Addison that sells speakers. Unfortunately very little information for the speakers is given.

Since we're now talking about speaker-building, perhaps i should mention that at least 3 speakers that I hope to get Mark to measure are smallish 2-way vintage bookshelf speakers that were possible candidates for a mini-econowave conversion for use in L-C-R in a HT.

fyi - I'm talking about 3 Noresco NEC-562 (Canadian product) that seem to have an 8" alnico woofer and an oval mid/tweeter driver. Possible plan is to pop the oval driver, and the hole might be pretty close to the right size for Denovo DNA-150 compression driver on EOS-8 waveguide (both from diysoundgroup, when they restock). I haven't run across much info about the NEC-562, but I'm going to suggest that this would be something like the AK miniwave of a vintage KLH.

So after we get some specs, maybe I can hit up Mark & Dave for some input.

Looking forward to the weekend!

- Ron

Rework of a little fun project.

Well in the tradition of getting things done months ahead of time, I sacrificed my remaining firewood to make up a little redo of the two way horn loaded speaker I did a few years back.

I'm going out to clean up the unfinished parts now actually.:rolleyes:

Sorry to say there will not be any undried glue this time.:D

Although I may have to screw in some drivers and tweak a crossover. :scratch:
Minions, I need minions.....:whip:

Saturday - typical weather for the start of the DIY Ottawa gathering :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150221_141749.jpg
    IMG_20150221_141749.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 290
Well we all survived another one.

In typical Ottawa tradition we had minus 16 on the first day and minus 6 on the second.

Highlights:
Gabriel’s beautiful tube amp. Always a pleasure to listen to someone explain with reason and direction as to why choices were made in the design of a product. Again, no pictures.
Owens H baffle and horn setup was great again.

Owen's H Baffles.jpg

Rick brought a beautifully built pair of two ways that I forgot to photograph.

Rick's Speakers.jpg

John (Mulisync) brought a set of large baffle spiral horns that again I forgot to photograph. But they sounded pretty good.

Mulisync's Speaker.png

Dave's (DDF) speakers are always top flight. The Napoleons were very smooth, and the JR's(?) We listened to last were a very well worked out bit of audio excellence.

Other highlights. Owen's (OPC) massively paralleled buffer amps. Very clean sound. No pic.

Pierre's carefully tweaked system. A very clean sounding horn loaded compression driver with a 15" TAD sealed enclosure. Very well damped but not to dry. No pic.

And saving the best for last.

Pierre (PierreQuiRoule) did a very informative presentation on cartridge alignment. I learned some new things there. Very impressive Pierre. And quite a bit of time spent on practicing what he was talking about!

Pierre's Presentation.jpg

Pierre's Turntable setup.jpg

John (Bearberry) did a very neat presentation on all the stuff he has been working on using a laser cutter available at one of the maker type co-operatives. John has been doing enough laser cutting work that he has a great understanding on the Pros/Cons of the method, and has used his experience to great effect on his projects. A hearty chuckle on the “Maker” name assignment. Schools should put back the shops classes, or reopen the Tech/Voc schools of old.

John's little Speaker enclosure.jpg

John's Presentation.jpg

And a group pic:

Part of the Motley Crew.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks to the organizers. First time in a couple of years I've been able to attend. Brought a pair of speakers and a turntable. Mark tested the ZRTs and Pierre looked over the old Systemdek. Thanks guys.

Was only able to attend the Saturday but got a chance to hear some good music through some great equipment and chat with some knowledgeable people about all kinds of things audio...and not. Pierre did a great job with the turntable adjustment seminar. Looking forward to next year.

Got to get to work on a new set of speakers. Here are a few pics I took:

5D3_7787_tn_zpskp34vy2g.jpg

5D3_7789_tn_zpsf9lngwql.jpg

5D3_7790_tn_zpsigtuaulm.jpg

5D3_7791_tn_zpsmyzddbid.jpg

5D3_7795_tn_zpsghjxejqz.jpg

5D3_7796_tn_zpsl3dxmn19.jpg

5D3_7801_tn_zpsqrxxuwau.jpg

5D3_7802_tn_zpswd3hfdq2.jpg

5D3_7804_tn_zps2w9ecvkj.jpg

5D3_7807_tn_zpsh7954pxd.jpg

5D3_7808_tn_zpszgmuhjid.jpg

Not sure why, but the portrait oriented pics are compressed. Just click to see them properly.

Saturday and the evolution of speakers.

I showed up on Saturday and met the crew for the first time. Sort of like a wedding with all the new names when you guys have been hanging around for a couple of years ;-). Give me a few get togethers and I'll know names.

Friendly group (thank you) and a log cabin in a park in the middle of the suburbs. Isolated and you could blast a lot of speakers and not bother any one. The acoustics weren't ideal but what a neat place with kitchen facilities and all. The talk on setting up a turntable was interesting. I never knew one side of a record was one channel the other side the other and setting up the table properly made the difference. No wonder I like digital .

Mark showed up with some speakers I didn't get a chance to hear on Saturday but they were very much under construction. How'd they turn out?

Thanks to all involved for a good time.

Grant.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.